Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Friends, I just had an idea that would bring Baseball Fever to life even more than it is. This may be the wrong thread to put it on. I'm doing so here because more people are on this thread than any other by far.

When I sent to former ballplayers, umpires, and baseball executives about their feelings about the renovation of Yankee Stadium, I received lots of nice responses and stories about playing at Yankee Stadium. My thought is that why can't a thread be started for former ballplayers, umpires, and baseball executives about their time in baseball. Perhaps we can send in questions and they can give us their thoughts and insights since they were in the game and offices. I think that would add a lot of great perspective and history to the game.

These people are living encyclopedias of the stadiums, teams, and game that we love. What a waste to have all that knowledge fade away over time. Below are answers from Carl Erskine and Stan Williams - two very nice, kind gentleman. How many baseball stories and behind the scene unknown information can be saved for the ages on Baseball Fever if my idea is implemented? Any question about baseball should be fair play.

The dates by the names of Mr. Erskine and Mr. Williams is when they responded to my question.

-Mike

Carl Erskine Hello Michael. I can’t give you much on the stadium
    March 29, 2005 renovation – I suggest you contact the Yankee office & their
    sports information director – they must have what you’re
    looking for –

I’ll give you one true story which I used in my book, “Tales
    “From the Dodger Dugout,” Extra Innings (Publisher Sports
    Publishing 1-877-807-6034).

In 1949 we played the Yankees in my first World Series. We
    were a young Dodger team – many of us were seeing
    Yankee Stadium for the first time. The Yankee locker room
    was moved from the 3rd base side to the first base side – I
    believe the Yankees made a very deliberate move to shake
    up a young Dodger team.

As we entered the visitors locker room – still in place & not
    yet moved to the Yankee side were two lockers – uniforms
    & all of Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig – Yes, we lost the series 4
    games to one –

Stan Williams I don’t feel that many people feel that a “Renovation” is an
    February 19, 2005 overly exciting subject – However, anything connected to the
    N.Y.Y.’s &/or the Stadium usually, at least, gets someone’s
    attention.
    I first played in the “old” stadium, in 1960, as a member of
    the Nat’l League All-Stars. I remember the particular
    excitement of taking the mound in such a historic stadium.
    All the past glory, & tradition, just oozed from the place. It
    was a special feeling – not one I ever had in any other
    ballpark.

Being a traditionalist, I hated to see them renovate. I was
    quite surprised at how little the looks changed, though. I had
    the pleasure of playing in the ‘old-park’ (63’/64) & coaching
    several years in the ‘New’-Park. Both are fine for me –
    Last edited by Mike Wagner; 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Perhaps a YS Renovation "Testimonials" thread might be in order?

In any case, it is the fact that a thread regarding the renovation of a stadium that has since been demolished that makes B-F THE place to discuss baseball and the shrines in which it was and is still played.

Renovated YS Live On
      -And it has!!
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Dear NYFan1stYankFan2nd,
        I'm actually talking about ANY baseball subject with respect to former players, umpires, and baseball execs. If any current ones would like to be included, that would be fine. They could comment about any ballpark, their greatest baseball thrill, teammates, quirks of certain ballparks, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
          Dear NYFan1stYankFan2nd,
          I'm actually talking about ANY baseball subject with respect to former players, umpires, and baseball execs. If any current ones would like to be included, that would be fine. They could comment about any ballpark, their greatest baseball thrill, teammates, quirks of certain ballparks, etc.
          My #1502 was simply a general comment about the spell the old place continues to cast over the topics and threads within baseball fever, even though sadly there is but a flattened wasteland at that address. Nothing more complicated than that.

How's work on the book? - you've got a lotta fish here ready to eat the bottom out from your boat to get their hands on it!

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Dear NYFan1stYankFan2nd,

If a publisher doesn't show up soon, I'll go online with it.

-Mike

Comment

• Dear Friends,

I can report that I sent my manuscript of "Babe's Place" to a publisher this past week. Things seem to be going very well. We'll see how it goes.

Also, my wife and me will be going to New York in mid-September for 11 days. We plan on catching a Yankee game on September 20 or 21. We would love to meet any Baseball Fever friends at Stan's or wherever you like to frequent. We haven't been to the new Stadium yet. I've read on past posts that stubhub is a good place to get tickets. Is that what you advise? We're taking the subway from Brooklyn.

The Carnegie Deli is also a must!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike

Comment

• Hey Mike, I'm going on Sept 21.
                Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                  Hey Mike, I'm going on Sept 21.

I'll hang on to my season tickets for that game too..
                  "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Dear Friends,

Carolyn and I will go to the game on September 21st. We look very forward to meeting The Monument, DN4l, and anyone else that would like to go. Where shall we meet? Stans's or somewhere else? What time? We haven't been to the new Stadium yet. We'll get tickets soon.

-Mike

Comment

Dear Friends,

Carolyn and I will go to the game on September 21st. We look very forward to meeting The Monument, DN4l, and anyone else that would like to go. Where shall we meet? Stans's or somewhere else? What time? We haven't been to the new Stadium yet. We'll get tickets soon.

-Mike

After corresponding with Mike via e-mails, we'll be meeting at the Hard Rock Cafe, inside Yankee Stadium...
                      Might as well meet and dine in "style"...
                      "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                        After corresponding with Mike via e-mails, we'll be meeting at the Hard Rock Cafe, inside Yankee Stadium...
                        Might as well meet and dine in "style"...
                        Dear Friends,

I plan to print up a manuscript of "Babe's Place" and will bring it with me for all to see. We'll have a great trip!!!!!

-Mike

Comment

• For what it's worth - An interesting perspective of the 1970s renovations:
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                            For what it's worth - An interesting perspective of the 1970s renovations:
                            Nice sketchup of the old with the renovated. Thanks for posting.
                            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

Dear Friends,

I can report that I sent my manuscript of "Babe's Place" to a publisher this past week. Things seem to be going very well. We'll see how it goes.
                              Good luck Mike, and I hope you find success because this is one book I'd love to read!

Comment

• Dear epaddon,

Thank you for your kind wishes. I know you won't be disappointed. I posted parts of it on Facebook under the title: "Babe Ruth: Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium." It's a nice preview of what's in the book.

-Mike

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X