Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where exactly did you get that pic? It looks like a personal picture.

I forget exactly where I found it...it was on some auction website a few years ago. It might have been a part of the Billy Martin estate..it's definately a personal pic...
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Dear BSmile,
      It's a great HONOR to have you post such never before seen photos on my site. Even if it was someone else's site, it's a joy to see what you put up.
      Thank you for sharing these priceless treasures.

Most Sincerely,
      Mike Wagner

Comment

• Yankee Stadium Vendor Shirt

Let's see if this triggers any memories:
        A Yankee Stadium Food Vendor Shirt from the 70's. From the overall look of it...I'd have to guess that it's from the early 70's. Also, its ugliness is truly without equal. I mean....just WOW!

It's a little before my time, so does anyone remember this monstrosity?

Cheers! ~B
        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
          A Yankee Stadium Food Vendor Shirt from the 70's. From the overall look of it...I'd have to guess that it's from the early 70's. Also, its ugliness is truly without equal. I mean....just WOW!

Cheers! ~B
          I dig some of the type faces, but not on a shirt. I said once I say it again the 70's where just an ugly time for cloths period!
          39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
          2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

• I was looking into some articles about the old yankee stadium and how some of the artifacts were sold off. Does anyone remember where these retired numbers were hung, bc I don't remember seeing them in any pictures of the center field area where the monuments were...

Retired Numbers of Yankees Greats that Hung in Yankee Stadium - Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio
            On April 15, 1976, Yankee Stadium reopened after two years of renovations. What was most noticeable was that the three monuments in center field were no longer there. The monuments erected to honor Miller Huggins (1932), Lou Gehrig (1941), and Babe Ruth (1949) had been moved behind the new outfield wall, as were the Ed Barrow, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, and Jacob Ruppert plaques. The framed swatches of actual Yankee pinstripes (with the blue felt retired numbers stitched on) and the name plaques that identified which number belong to which legend that were displayed inside the Stadium before its 1974-75 renovation were also gone. But unlike the monuments, the numbers and plaques were not placed back in the newly renovated stadium.

A 1997 letter from John Golden of Golden Glen Entertainment explains that he procured the retired numbers of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Joe DiMaggio (numbers 3, 4 and 5) from the owner of a sports collectable store in Nyack, NY in 1976. The owner of the store acquired the retired numbers and corresponding plaques through the contractor in charge of the Yankee Stadium renovation who had secured the right to sell certain Yankee artifacts and memorabilia.

The retired numbers were part of that transaction. In 1990, according to Golden, Nick Priore, who was the Yankees clubhouse manager and, at the time had been with the organization for 31 years, authenticated that they were, in fact, the retired numbers that hung in the stadium prior to the commencement of the refurbishing of Yankee Stadium. By comparing the relative toning of each retired number, it is clearly apparent that No. 4 was displayed for the longest length of time, and No. 5 for the shortest. More specifically the retired Yankees numbers include:

Lou Gehrig's Retired "Number 4" That Hung in Yankee Stadium - The First Number Retired in Professional Baseball
            It is widely recorded that Lou Gehrig's No. 4 was retired on July 4, 1939, but that is not the case. That was "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day" at the Stadium, when 61,808 fans paid tribute to Gehrig when he told them "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." It wasn't until January 6, 1940 that Yankees President Edward G. Barrow announced that Gehrig's No. 4 would never again be worn by another Yankee, the first time in baseball history that a major league club had so honored a player. Lou Gehrig's blue felt No. "4" is sewn on authentic Yankee pinstripes. Stitched in blue script below the number are the words "Lou Gehrig Number retired July 4, 1939." The piece is accompanied by the original bronze "LOU GEHRIG" plaque which hung beneath his retired number. The minimum bid is $5,000.

Babe Ruth's Retired "Number 3" That Hung in Yankee Stadium
            One would think that Babe Ruth's No. 3 would have been retired when he left the Yankees or at least after he had retired from baseball, but that was not the case. The Babe and the Yankees did not part company amicably after the 1934 season. As a result he did not receive the dubious honor until 1948. Babe Ruth's blue felt No. "3" is sewn on authentic Yankee pinstripes. Stitched in blue script beneath the number are the words "Babe Ruth Number retired June 13, 1948." The piece is accompanied by the original bronze "BABE RUTH" plaque which hung beneath his retired number. Minimum bid is $5,000.

Joe DiMaggio's Retired "Number 5" That Hung in Yankee Stadium
            On April 18, 1952, before the Yankees home opener, DiMaggio's No. 5 was ceremoniously retired. Joe DiMaggio's blue felt "5" is sewn on authentic Yankee pinstripes. Stitched in blue script below the number are the words "Joe DiMaggio Number retired April 18, 1952." The piece is accompanied by the original bronze "JOE DI MAGGIO" plaque which hung beneath his retired number. Minimum bid $2,500.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
              I was looking into some articles about the old yankee stadium and how some of the artifacts were sold off. Does anyone remember where these retired numbers were hung, bc I don't remember seeing them in any pictures of the center field area where the monuments were...

The framed swatches of actual Yankee pinstripes (with the blue felt retired numbers stitched on) and the name plaques that identified which number belong to which legend that were displayed inside the Stadium before its 1974-75 renovation were also gone.
              They hung in the Stadium Club.

And, they were not cut from actual player-worn uniforms.

Some people spent a lot of money on junk.

Comment

• From research I've done, I understand that Unistress Corp. in Pittsfield, Mass, makes pre-formed or precast concrete. During the renovation, did they do so for the parking garage, outside walls of the Stadium?...where did these precast concrete sections go?

Thank you.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Also, from what company did the Yankees get sod for the field in 1976?

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post

Cheers! ~B

I actually have one of these (in great shape) and I will post a pic of the back shortly...

Just for the heck of it, I want to get it appraised at "Gotta Have It!", the memorabilia outfit that handles all the displays at Mickey Mantle's sports bar in NYC.

Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeesFan View Post
                      That is quite alright. Just thought I'd toss those questions out there.

Just to add, I think the idea of the book is great!

- Russ
                      I can answer those questions now. I just went on the tour of the Stadium today. The Main Gate entrances were demolished to make room for the spiral ramp towers. The only remaining original gate entrance is Gate 2 between third base and left field. The spiral tower on that side of the stadium was installed in between wear the grandstands end and the bleachers begin, thus no reason to demolish that gate entrance. The original entrance is still there, complete with the 3 original balconies. The "Yankee Stadium sign" and two circular ornamental displays were removed though.

Comment

• I have been posting photos from the book "Yankee Stadium - 75 Years of Dreams, Glamor, and Glory" over in the Pre-Renovation thread. This book has a renovation photo I have never seen before. It's near the end of the renovation. I have seen quite a few photos on this site of the renovation, but photos usually show the very beginning or very end of it. I'd love to see more photos from all stages of the renovation.

BTW in the book the photo was incorrectly flipped. I have flipped it to be correct.

"The renovation is nearly complete in this picture, taken during the winter of 1975-1976. Seats are missing, as is the scoreboard, but the playing field appears ready for action."
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                          BTW in the book the photo was incorrectly flipped. I have flipped it to be correct.
                          You must have the hardcover edition, as I do. In the softcover, it's correct.

That's a great picture.

There's also another great picture earlier on in the book, almost worth the price all by itself, showing an awesome aerial view of YS and environs on Opening Day 1923.
                          X

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                            You must have the hardcover edition, as I do. In the softcover, it's correct.
                            Yup, it's the hardcover. The next large spread photo after that is an aerial shot of opening day 1976. This one was also incorrectly flipped.

I believe I posted the Opening Day 1923 photo you spoke of over in the Pre-Renovation thread, along with many other great photos.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                              I believe I posted the Opening Day 1923 photo you spoke of over in the Pre-Renovation thread, along with many other great photos.
                              Yes, you did. (At the time I posted the earlier comment I hadn't yet seen that post.)
                              X

Comment

• Grass...no, not that kind!

Originally posted by cong View Post
                                We attended the last game in 73.... My brother grabbed some outfield sod and we planted it in our backyard were it grew (and may still grow) till our family moved out of that home in the late 90's.
                                I thought of doing that with Tiger Stadium. But I was gonna let the grass go to seed, harvest it, plant a new section, let that go to seed too, over and over till my front and back yard was all Tiger Stadium grass..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X