Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRT Platform

From the book The Bronx Lost, Found, And Remembered 1935-1975
    Attached Files
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• This image is dedicated to all of those on here who believe that the original Yankee Stadium was not worth keeping around because of modifications done during the 1970s. You are instructed to face this image for the next five minutes as a sentence for such ignorance:
      Attached Files
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by New Yorker View Post
        Sigh… this thread makes me really wish Yankee brass kept the original ballpark like the Sox did with Fenway. It was so much more, I guess, iconic than YSII. But then, the early '60s was a time when here in NY everything had to be "new and better". Hence the loss of this ballpark, Pennsylvania Station and countless others.

Oh well. Nice to visit it here, at least.
        Thanks NYer, you have inspired me to show a "century of Fenway". Great minds think alike! Perhaps it too should be demolished without a trace, the property renamed, because it too doesn't appear as it did in 1912. LOL! Such shortsighted thinking.

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Same Ballpark!

I posted these comparison photos in the past...... Worth posting again.

A sin to remove the original copper frieze...However it didn't change the fact that you were in the same Stadium...The convertible version!

More additions were made to the Original structure than removed.
          Attached Files
          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Pre and Post Renovation Merged in Adobe.
            Attached Files
            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• Same ballpark, but the renovations ruined it!!!

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
              I posted these comparison photos in the past...... Worth posting again.

A sin to remove the original copper frieze...However it didn't change the fact that you were in the same Stadium...The convertible version!

More additions were made to the Original structure than removed.

Yeah, it was a BIG sin to to remove the copper frieze.
              It's even a BIGGER sin to show these two photos with the tops cut off of them!!!
              Had these two photos not been cropped at the top, they would've looked like "Apples & Oranges", with one showing the wrap around frieze (which NYS has now, thank God!), and the other not having it at all!!!
              Last edited by DN4L; 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM.
              "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Shortsighted thinking??

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                Thanks NYer, you have inspired me to show a "century of Fenway". Great minds think alike! Perhaps it too should be demolished without a trace, the property renamed, because it too doesn't appear as it did in 1912. LOL! Such shortsighted thinking.

If anyone on here is to decide who has "shortsighted thinking" it should be a Moderator. Accusing someone of shortsighted thinking because their opinion differs from yours is no excuse and is bad web form. Someone please "put that in the books"!

PS: If you're going to dedicate a "Century of Fenway", make sure you do it in the appropriate thread. Not here.
                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                  This image is dedicated to all of those on here who believe that the original Yankee Stadium was not worth keeping around because of modifications done during the 1970s. You are instructed to face this image for the next five minutes as a sentence for such ignorance:

Can a moderator remove this "condescending" post please?
                  I shouldn't have to be spoken down to, and be "instructed" to face two images of Fenway Park for five minutes, as some form of punishment for my alleged "ignorance". (Especially on a Yankee Stadium thread!) Just because my opinion differs from theirs.
                  It's very condescending, arrogant, and is BAD WEB FORM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                    Can a moderator remove this "condescending" post please?
                    I shouldn't have to be spoken down to, and be "instructed" to face two images of Fenway Park for five minutes, as some form of punishment for my alleged "ignorance". (Especially on a Yankee Stadium thread!) Just because my opinion differs from theirs.
                    It's very condescending, arrogant, and is BAD WEB FORM.
                    No name-calling went on. And you are hardly the only member this is aimed at. I encourage every individual in NY City Hall responsible for the Heritage Field Omission to come on here and serve out the same sentence, plus have a copy of my image framed for their office wall.

The purpose was to show that at least Boston cares more about the history and tradition of their ballpark, unlike NY. Hence my parody, "might as well tear down Fenway too, since not much of 1912's look remains".
                    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• @NYFan1stYankFan2nd:

I do not disrespect the post-1970s Yankee Stadium because it was refurbished. It is the manner of the refurbishment that I object to. In my opinion, the changes were not improvements. Having attended Yankee home games regularly since the mid-1960s, I personally felt more comfortable in the original ballpark. (You cannot judge this statement as right or wrong, because it is definitely true.)

I have not been to the new stadium yet, so it is impossible for me to judge it. It may or may not be better than the original, I will be able to make that assessment perhaps this summer.
                      mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Comment

Original?
                        ORIGINAL???

Yankee Stadium I (ONE) stopped being "original", after September 30, 1973!!!!!!!
                        After that date, it became the "Bronx version" of SHEA STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Reread what I wrote; I agree with you.

Comment

After that date, it became the "Bronx version" of SHEA STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Not seeing that...In fact.... It's such an absurd statement....Not worth addressing.
                          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                            No name-calling went on. And you are hardly the only member this is aimed at. I encourage every individual in NY City Hall responsible for the Heritage Field Omission to come on here and serve out the same sentence, plus have a copy of my image framed for their office wall.

The purpose was to show that at least Boston cares more about the history and tradition of their ballpark, unlike NY. Hence my parody, "might as well tear down Fenway too, since not much of 1912's look remains".

"AIMED AT"?? What a wonderful choice of words!
                            To instruct posters that you disagree with, to look at two photos of Fenway Park for five minutes as a "sentence" for such "ignorance", is much more condescending than to call somebody a troll.
                            Maybe condescending instructions towards posters should be included in the BBF rules & regs.

PS: I hope they never tear down Fenway Park either. Because I want the Boston Red Sox to continue to play in that overrated DUMP!!!

Comment

• Dear Friends,

When Yankee Stadium was remodeled and painted in 1966-1967, the Yankees installed a telephonic Yankees Hall of Fame. It featured a number of Yankees greats. Their recorded voices were on the phone receiver when you picked it up. It also had a large photo of the Yankee player. I've come across two or three different numbers of how many players were featured. Does anyone know exactly how many players were featured in this Yankees telephonic Hall of Fame? If you don't know the exact number, then an approximate number will do.

Thank you.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                                Dear Friends,

When Yankee Stadium was remodeled and painted in 1966-1967, the Yankees installed a telephonic Yankees Hall of Fame. It featured a number of Yankees greats. Their recorded voices were on the phone receiver when you picked it up. It also had a large photo of the Yankee player. I've come across two or three different numbers of how many players were featured. Does anyone know exactly how many players were featured in this Yankees telephonic Hall of Fame? If you don't know the exact number, then an approximate number will do.

Thank you.

-Mike Wagner
                                Hey Mike

You may want to ask brooklyndodger14 about the telephonic Yankees Hall of Fame.
                                Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X