Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear YankeeStadium1923,

Thank you for responding. brooklyndodger14 was kind enough to respond quite a while ago. Since then, a former Yankees executive gave one number, and one or two newspaper accounts gave one or two other numbers. So, I have three or four different numbers as to how many telephonic Yankees were represented.

I know brooklyndodger14 knows his stuff, so I'm certainly not discounting what he said. There have been quite a few instances in searching for information for my manuscript for "Babe's Place" that I have come across different numbers for various information that has come from trusted sources. The best example is that it was a long process to get the true numbers for the outfield wall measurements for the 1923 Yankee Stadium. I had about four different figures from trusted sources, such as blueprints, The New York Times, The Sporting News, and even the New York Yankees.

-Mike

Comment

• Hey Mike, good to hear from a civil gentleman . I remember those phones, it was a lot of fun listening to your favorite players. I missed that feature, among other things, in RYS. I'm kinda surprised that the Mick didn't leave an expletive-filled message!
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Dear The Monument,

It's great to hear from you, too. I remember them a little bit. Maybe it was edited out.

My wife and I and some friends will be in NYC from December 8-16. We'd love to see you and anyone else that might be interested in getting together.

-Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
          "AIMED AT"?? What a wonderful choice of words!

PS: I hope they never tear down Fenway Park either. Because I want the Boston Red Sox to continue to play in that overrated DUMP!!!
          At least THEY still have their "overrated dump" to celebrate it's 100th anniversary. The Yanks will have wait until 2109 to celebrate their building's 100th...oh wait: That IS Yankee Stadium, the same one Babe Ruth christened with a home run in 1923, that several Popes gave Mass in, that Ali fought in. Yep, in 2023 that building will be ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD! Thanks City Hall! lmao....
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• i remember about 30 of the kiosks in the stadium.
            the thof came about due to the efforts of mike burke and cbs inc. creative director lou dorfsman.
            the photos show the 3 uses for the display panels.
            they were first used at the cbs hospitality area beneath the anchor positions in the arenas that housed the 1964 political conventions, later reused in the safety awning along 6th ave, during the construction of the black rock office building and then at the stadium (lower right pix).
            lou was famous for his design sense and also in finding ways to cut costs.
            he was in part responsible for the look of the stadium in the '67 changes (white paint, gray/blue/black color scheme and signage),
            the city would have done well if they had used lou for the 70's reno...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paul W; 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM.
            the turd in the punchbowl
            reality really sucks.
            enjoy the game more...

Comment

• What I remember about that was my ear full of mustard. They had telephone recievers that you could pick up and listen to recordings of the voices of Yankee greats such as Babe Ruth. Of course, Bronx practical jokers soon thought it would be hilarious to load up the earpieces on the recievers with Gulden's mustard and sure enough I fell for it!

Comment

• A great idea, and great details about it from Paul W (as always). And pre-information-highway days, if I were a Yankee fan, I'd probably trade an earful of mustard to listen to my old heroes say a few words, lol.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• One of the photos provided by Paul W is from the Yankee scorecard (the image of Mrs. Babe Ruth smiling) which, as edited by Bob Fischel, indicates 34 telephones. I would consider his count as the most reliable. There was a mix of past Yankees, present day Yanks offering playing tips, and historical Stadium moments.

Here is a partial listing that I can recall:

Past Yanks:
                  Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig's farewell, Bob Shawkey, Bob Meusel, Red Ruffing, Joe DiMaggio, Charlie Keller, Tommy Henrich, Casey Stengel, Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey, Frank Crosetti, Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi, Lefty Gomez, Phil Rizzuto

Present Day Yanks:
                  Mel Stottlemyre, Elston Howard, Mickey Mantle (2 displays: his 1965 "Day" and his 500th home run), Whitey Ford, Ralph Houk, Roy White, Fritz Peterson, Stan Bahnsen (AL Rookie of the Year, 1968), Joe Pepitone, Tom Tresh (the last two replaced after 1969)

Stadium events:
                  Joe Louis/Max Schmeling boxing match, Pope Paul VI's Mass, Don Larsen's perfect game, Roger Maris' 61st home run

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14

Comment

• Dear Friends,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I will absolutely go with this information. This is, as far as I know, the last subject where I wasn't 100% sure of the information. Paul and Dennis - we on Baseball Fever know that both of you have provided solid information (as have many other kind people) to baseball fans. I will look no further, as both of you are top notch!! Thank you for the specifics that I was looking for.

Mygirljess and alpineinc - Thank You for your input as well. An earful of mustard. Talk about a souvenir from the Stadium!

My deepest thanks to all for all the help with "Babe's Place." Everyone who has contributed has made a good manuscript great thanks to your expertise, knowledge, and kindness in sharing your wisdom and information!!!!

Most Sincerely,
                    Mike

Comment

• I don't understand why people hate the renovations so much. It's not like there was much of a choice - OYS was literally falling apart, they had to do something. (Remember when they'd have bat day, and people would pound the bats on the concrete, chunks of which would then fall?)

Fenway has been renovated too. Many times. Probably more than OYS. But you don't hear Red Sox fans complaining that there's no more Duffy's Cliff, do you? Or that there is an upper deck where there didn't used to be one?
                      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Dear Mr. Laser Beam,

No doubt it was because the exterior of the Stadium changed so much due to the new entryways. At least the folks in Fenway still have Fenway Park. Yes, it's been remodeled, but it's still Fenway Park. Just like people renovate houses. It's different, but much of it is still the same, and it's located at the same address.

-Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                          Just like people renovate houses. It's different, but much of it is still the same, and it's located at the same address.
                          So was OYS/RYS.
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                            A great idea, and great details about it from Paul W (as always). And pre-information-highway days, if I were a Yankee fan, I'd probably trade an earful of mustard to listen to my old heroes say a few words, lol.
                            By the way, the Babe Ruth one was absolutely unintelligible. It was his final speech at Yankee Stadium when his voice was all croaky due to the cancer. With the old technology there was static on the line too, and people talking all around you. You couldn't understand a word he was saying. It wasn't until years later I heard that speech again that I understood a word of it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                              I don't understand why people hate the renovations so much. It's not like there was much of a choice - OYS was literally falling apart, they had to do something...
                              as someone with first-hand experience of oys - it wasn't "falling apart", it suffered from comparisons to shea (clear sight lines, more convenient parking and it was new) and oys wasn't. on top of all that, with the aging of the player stock and the advent of the player draft the franchise suffered.
                              one of the main problems was that the city was involved, unlike fenway which is in private hands and the changes there were done with a less heavy hand.
                              many (including me) were put-off by the "brutalist" style of architecture used for the changes, it was heavy-handed compared to what it replaced.
                              it was john lindsey who approached mike burke about the reno, the nyy (cbs inc.) never threatened to move unlike king george's threats later.
                              if oys had stayed in private hands, changes made would have been less drastic.
                              the turd in the punchbowl
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Dear Friends,

I'm writing to give you and update and request.

I've decided to self-publish "Babe's Place," my book about the history of Yankee Stadium and the New York Yankees, with a big focus on the 1970s renovation. Things didn't work out as planned with the publisher. I plan to have the book out in September or October.

I was going to follow that with another book about the attempt to Save Gate 2 and the demolition of Yankee Stadium. I've decided to change course. What I'll do is add the attempt to Save Gate 2 and the demolition of Yankee Stadium to the end of this book. I will also have information about the new Yankee Stadium. These three items seem to be the logical way to end the book

I will have photos from a friend of the new three items listed above. Some other friends will send me Gate 2 information, as they have first hand knowledge of the event.

Does anyone have an accounting or record of the demolition of Yankee Stadium? It would not have to be a daily record. Among the items I'd like to see are, for example:

What date did the demolition start?
                                What companies were involved.
                                What was the cost?
                                Where did the cement and metal and other scrap go?
                                What was the date of significant demolition of certain parts of the Stadium
                                When did the demolition end?

If you have this information and would like to send it to me, I would write something like:
                                "This information was generously supplied by: your name" Or, something else that you would like to be done.

With respect to the new Yankee Stadium,

What date was the groundbreaking?
                                What date did the actual construction begin and on what?
                                Progressive dates on significant construction events.
                                What contractors were used.
                                Costs.
                                Completion date

If you have this information and would like to send it to me, I would write something like:
                                "This information was generously supplied by: your name" Or, something else that you would like to be done.

If nobody has anything, then I'll research it myself.

If you are interested in this, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]

I'm currently transcribing letters from former baseball players and umpires about their feelings about the demolition of Yankee Stadium. I'll have about 150 or so when I'm done. Here are some samples:

Casey Cox I did not know about saving Gate 2, but I believe some part of July 14, 2010 Yankee Stadium should be saved.
                                Casey Cox[27]

Bud Daley The first time I went to old Yankee Stadium I was with the
                                July 6, 2010 Cleveland ball club. I walk in and what a thrill. Too bad people
                                won't have that thrill I had.[28]

Cot Deal. Sent signed demolition photo.[29]
                                July 6, 2010

Billy DeMars Mike, It's pretty hard to look back 62 yrs to the time I played at July 9,2010 Yankee Stadium. I also was born & raised in the Bay Ridge
                                section of Brooklyn, so as a kid it was Dodgers & Yankees, not
                                so much Giants. When I stepped on the field in 1948 it was
                                thrilling just knowing that this is where all the great Yankees
                                played. In fact that day in '48 they still had DiMaggio, Rizzuto,
                                Keller, Henrich, Stirnweiss, Dickey, Reynolds, Raschi, Lopat
                                etc. Pretty famous players.

That was no worse when the Dodgers packed up & moved to
                                Cal, it was devastating. Time goes on & things change. We see
                                it everyday.
                                Take care. Billy DeMars (Billy also sent a signed baseball card
                                of himself.)[30]

Don Demeter I can remember while hitting in the Stadium - I'm standing where
                                September 9, 2012 Ruth stood - I too, am sad something was not preserved for the
                                fans in N.Y. - D.D.[31]

Bobby Doerr Dear Michael, On Memorial Day 1938 we played to 83,500
                                July1, 2010 fans. They say it was 85,000 because of some free passes.

That day our pitchers threw at Jake Powell and they got into a fight. Cronin was thrown out of the game and when he went
                                through the Yankee dugout they started fighting again. Think
                                that is where the rivalry started to take place.

Thought the Yankee Stadium was a hard place to hit. Tall stands
                                and dark shadows between home & the pitcher and white shirts
                                in center field was hard to pick up the pitches. Left center &
                                center field was a lot of field. DiMaggio played it so good. Hope
                                your book goes good. Best Wishes, Bobby Doerr[32]

Al Downing Dear Michael, I'm writing a book myself of my career and I'd July 3, 2010 answer some of the questions you've asked.[33]

Carl Erskine Hello Michael. Thanks for writing. Yes I pitched several
                                July 5, 2010 innings at Yankee Stadium. In 1952, 5th game, on the 5th Oct,
                                and it was my 5th Wedding Anniversary - Leading 4-0 until - yes
                                the 5th. I gave up 5 runs- The game went 11 innings and then the Dodgers won 6-5. I got the complete game victory. Also I
                                pitched 9 no-hit innings. Vince Scully and Red Barber were the
                                Dodgers broadcasters.

Vince Scully said he was watching for any other 5's. He swears
                                that when I struck Berra out to end the game in the bottom of the
                                11th inning he looked at the Stadium clock - it was 5 past 5
                                o'clock. My e-mail is…[34]

(I don't know what happened, but the 2010 & 2012 dates are when the player responded to me. Just delete the date and the message will read correctly. I apologize for the strange way the message transmitted).

Thank you, everyone.

Sincerely,
                                Mike
                                Last edited by Mike Wagner; 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X