Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SparkyL whiteprints

Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
    Anyway, I have a couple of whiteprints from the renovation that show how they were able to remove the pillars and still keep the upper deck up. It was more than just cantilevering the upper deck. I also have images of other prints that were sold on ebay - we may be able to track some of full-size prints down. Let me know if you'd like to see them.
    Sparky, I am currently in the planning stages of building a scale model (maybe 1/8) of Pre-Renovation Yankee Stadium, these forums have helped me visualize the stadium greatly however, I am having difficulty finding any cross sections/plans of the stadium. Those whiteprints you have look like they could help me out a great deal, do you think you could drop me an e-mail so I could get a better look at them or anything else you may have (like a scan or something). Thanks
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• Joe DiMaggio at the re-opening of Yankee Stadium, April 15, 1976

Mickey Mantle,and Joe DiMaggio doff their caps to the crowd of 46,293 on hand for the annual Old-Timers' Game at Yankee Stadium, August 11, 1973
      http://pro.corbis.com/images/U1781333.jpg?size=67&uid={2cf0fb45-5412-4ef5-a272-faf33ecdcf3d}
      http://cache2.gettyimages.com/xc/734...ABB360166FC901
      Pauline Turner, pitching coach Jim Turner, Mrs. Babe Ruth (Claire), coach Dick Howser, Betty Houk and coach Elston Howard pose for a portrait in front of a cake in the shape of Yankee Stadium during the 50th Anniversary of Yankee Stadium ceremonies on April 15, 1973
      http://cache4.gettyimages.com/xc/788...D917D4BD40E178
      Former Postmaster General James A. Farley, restauranteur Toots Shor, clubhouse manager Pete Sheehy and announcer Mel Allen,April 15, 1976
      http://cache4.gettyimages.com/xc/789...7F7B1F39A75C43
      Opening Day Game on April 15, 1976 between the Minnesota Twins and the New York Yankees
      http://cache3.gettyimages.com/xc/787...26E62CEE8DF9BF
      ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• First & Last Trip to Yankee Stadium

Hello all, just joined the page in hopes that it serves as some catharsis to the pending end of Yankee Stadium. As a fan of ballparks, I'm certainly looking forward to bringing my father to our first (and - unfortunately - last) game at Yankee Stadium in late August. I was hoping some of you could share some advice on how best to maximize our limited experience at the Stadium? Obviously, Monument Park will be the first stop on the day. But is there anywhere else we should try and get to within the Stadium? I want to take it all in.

I grew up and live in Boston, so I have plenty of Fenway memories. I didn't get to see Comiskey Park or Tiger Stadium in person. This year, I'll get the chance to finally see Yankee Stadium, and Wrigley hopefully will be added to my list next year.

Comment

• Hello BallParkLover,
          From my experience of The Stadium, you should make a point of going as high into the upper decks as security allows. When I was a kid (late 70's), I watched a few innings of games from the VERY last seat in the left field and right field upper deck. It was quite a rush. When you're up THAT high and at that angle, it really feels like if you took a wrong step...you'd be plummeting to the ground and to your demise. Plus, you can really see the trains coming through...as they have since the 1920's.
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
            Hello BallParkLover,
            From my experience of The Stadium, you should make a point of going as high into the upper decks as security allows. When I was a kid (late 70's), I watched a few innings of games from the VERY last seat in the left field and right field upper deck. It was quite a rush. When you're up THAT high and at that angle, it really feels like if you took a wrong step...you'd be plummeting to the ground and to your demise. Plus, you can really see the trains coming through...as they have since the 1920's.
            If anyone gets a chance to get in one of those seats this summer, how about bringing along a camera to capture the view?

Comment

• Originally posted by hofflalu View Post
              If anyone gets a chance to get in one of those seats this summer, how about bringing along a camera to capture the view?
              I'll be photographing every square inch that I can get access to. Each game, and I have tix for 15 games, I'll be going to a different area and taking pix from multiple angles. I should have a few thousand by seasons end.

John G
              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                I'll be photographing every square inch that I can get access to. Each game, and I have tix for 15 games, I'll be going to a different area and taking pix from multiple angles. I should have a few thousand by seasons end.

John G
                Same here, every game that I make it to this year, I'm going to be taking pictures of absolutley everything, concourses, vendors, souvenir stands, seats; I just want to help in the effort of "preserving" the old stadium and its overlooked aspects that we have trouble with when talking about the pre-1973 stadium.

Comment

• It's wonderful that you guys are going to do that. I would like to suggest that if anyone has a telephoto lens, to also get up close shots of everything you can - lights, scoreboard, interior, exterior, also try to think of areas and nooks and crannies people don't normally take photos of.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                    I didn't say I read it, I said I went on a tour of the stadium in high school and they told us they put it in storage somewhere. As for something turning into "scrap metal" I believe that when some materials are exposed to the elements (rain, snow, wind, etc.) they can possibly turn into some other type of material. So, maybe it was made of copper, and the snow, rain, wind, etc. turned it into metal.
                    I believe that "turned metal" simply means that it was cut on a lathe or similar machine which allowed for a certain a mount of detail, precision, and symmetry. Put another way, the metal was not cast or molded.

By the way, copper IS a metal, and unless a new form of alchemy has been devised, the elements don't really turn one metal into another. Metals will certainly oxidize when exposed to the elements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                      It's wonderful that you guys are going to do that. I would like to suggest that if anyone has a telephoto lens, to also get up close shots of everything you can - lights, scoreboard, interior, exterior, also try to think of areas and nooks and crannies people don't normally take photos of.

-Mike Wagner
                      like the bathrooms?

wouldnt it be odd, though, to take pics of the bathrooms? people might think youre a pedophile or something.

Comment

• Dear jimmyjimjimz,

Since everyone knows the Stadium will be gone after this year, all anyone has to say is that they're taking photos for the sake of history. That'll cover it.

Or, just tell them you're related to Senator Larry Craig who got busted in a Minnesota toilet. Maybe you'll become famous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• I won't be taking pix in the bathrooms. Too weird.
                          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Somehow stumbled upon this today:

http://www.sciglobal.com/falsework/25kw.html

A few, small shots of the renovation that I never saw before. Wish they were bigger.

Maybe this company who worked on the renovation can provide some info to those of you researching the renovation.

Comment

• Dear Spiderico,
                              Thank you for the lead. You never know where you'll find one.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• so, the outside wall at the current Yankee Stadium is the same outside wall as the pre-renovated stadium? Or did they knock the wall down when they renovated?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X