Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yankee Stadium

    Hi,

    In the book "New York Yankees: Yesterday & Today" (pages 12-13) there is a photo of Yankee Stadium from above. It appears that in the field level box seats, the runways to the concourse level are about ten rows back from the field. I know that the field box seats were lowered in the renovation. But did these old runways lead to the same concourse as today? It looks like the current runways are much more set back, where the field box and main box seats meet.

    Did the field and main box seats have two isles in the seating area to walk around? One about ten rows back, the other about twenty?

    In the mezzanine level on the first base side, near the end of the press box there appears to be a runway near the front of the mezzanine level. Anyone know if this indeed is a runway?

    Thanks so much.

    Comment


    • Man, if someone could get a picture of the old concourse this season, or at least tell me what ramp I can take to stalk this door, I would be forever grateful.
      I would like to know where this is also.
      Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

      Comment


      • Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
        I would like to know where this is also.
        me too. how would you know it's the right door, though?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
          me too. how would you know it's the right door, though?
          The door(s) are at the ramp level immediately ABOVE the Loge level. You will know you are at the right level when find the ramp "walls" are made of (blue?) metal paneling instead of the usual black metal dividers. I've forgotten if all the ramps lead to a door, but just be aware that chances are they would be locked.

          Good luck in your quest, Jedis.....

          Dennis
          BrooklynDodger14

          Comment


          • Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
            The door(s) are at the ramp level immediately ABOVE the Loge level. You will know you are at the right level when find the ramp "walls" are made of (blue?) metal paneling instead of the usual black metal dividers. I've forgotten if all the ramps lead to a door, but just be aware that chances are they would be locked.

            Good luck in your quest, Jedis.....

            Dennis
            BrooklynDodger14
            Cool. Thanks!

            I would contemplate standing there the entire time, waiting for someone to open the door. But only if they were playing the Royals.

            Comment


            • I too will be looking when I attend my last game there in June. Sadly, I was thinking that some of our best chances of seeing some remnants of the pre-renovation Stadium will come once they start tearing it down. Ugh. I attended my first game in 1980, although my older brother in sister got to go in '73. I have since been obsessed with all things pre-renovation and regret missing the opportunity first hand. It's like a holy grail I can get close to but not 100% there. I guess it won't matter once it is completetly torn down.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
                I too will be looking when I attend my last game there in June. Sadly, I was thinking that some of our best chances of seeing some remnants of the pre-renovation Stadium will come once they start tearing it down. Ugh. I attended my first game in 1980, although my older brother in sister got to go in '73. I have since been obsessed with all things pre-renovation and regret missing the opportunity first hand. It's like a holy grail I can get close to but not 100% there. I guess it won't matter once it is completetly torn down.

                You should check out Kaplanski's 3D YANKEE STADIUM site both here in the Fever and at this link:

                http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

                Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14

                Comment


                • I have and it is fabulous, thank-you.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TJH1923 View Post
                    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssss
                    Oh man. What a great photo.
                    Joe D did some wreaking there himself.

                    Comment


                    • I wonder if there has been any thought at all about what the Yankees are going to do with the current facade? So much has been made about what happened to the original. This facade has been around for 33 years.

                      Is there even any place to relocate at least a portion to a surrounding park?

                      Just wondering.

                      I'm always of the mindset that you should think at least 10 years down the line and think about what people might appreciate seeing. Just imagine if a portion of that original facade was somewhere for people to see.

                      Comment


                      • Dear Astros,
                        What a great question that most of us didn't think about. I'd bet anything they'll sell it off by sections for a fortune per section. It would be nice is one section went to Cooperstown and if a few went into the new Stadium in a museum area - or a couple of areas around the Stadium so the one spot doesn't get so congested.

                        -Mike Wagner

                        Comment


                        • A Pic Of It
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Astros View Post
                            I wonder if there has been any thought at all about what the Yankees are going to do with the current facade? So much has been made about what happened to the original. This facade has been around for 33 years.

                            Is there even any place to relocate at least a portion to a surrounding park?

                            Just wondering.

                            I'm always of the mindset that you should think at least 10 years down the line and think about what people might appreciate seeing. Just imagine if a portion of that original facade was somewhere for people to see.
                            I don't think they will.

                            They can't put it in the new stadium, as it won't match exactly the new one. I don't know what "surrounding park" might be appropriate.

                            Save a section or two for the museum, sell off the rest to fans. Considering the consensus that moving it to the scoreboard was a mistake, they might not want to remind anyone.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                              Thats the thing. As far as the actual footprint of the Stadium, the internal guts of the stadium, the foundation, its all the same. It would basically be like if you had a house, they stripped all the interior walls off, most of the exterior walls taken off, they took off the insulation , some rooms were altered but not majorily, kept most of the the studs maybe moved some others around, replaced the windows, took off the roof but kept the frame, and then put it back together. Added some new steps on the outside, etc.
                              It was a major thing what they did, but they kept basically the same internal components. Obvioulsy the columns were removed from the upper deck and some new things were added but was still the same.
                              That's the sad part, but too true of the 1970's. They didn't care about preservation. The push for Landmark Preservation was still about 10-15 years away in 1973. It is sad because the old Stadium is tantalizingly close, because it is still under there. The problem is, Yankee Stadium 2008 could never receive formal Landmark status because it was changed so drastically. Yes, it is still the same basic structure, but so many features were altered/removed as to render it a wholly different edifice today. (I was chairman of a local Landmark Preservation Board). There are strict percentages of change that cannot be exceeded, before a building is disqualified. Yankee Stadium is too different. (ironically, Shea Stadium could probably still qualify, as it is very similar to its original structural appearance/you'd only have to perform minor restoration to have it appear original).

                              This is why I always hoped that the billion dollars would have been spent restoring Yankee Stadium to its original appearance. I've seen an estimate of nearly a billion for the New YS. I cannot be convinced that a near total rebuild in place was more prohibitive. Of course, I am speaking as a Landmarks geek, not a baseball owner selling luxury boxes. Oh, well.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
                                That's the sad part, but too true of the 1970's. They didn't care about preservation. The push for Landmark Preservation was still about 10-15 years away in 1973. It is sad because the old Stadium is tantalizingly close, because it is still under there. The problem is, Yankee Stadium 2008 could never receive formal Landmark status because it was changed so drastically. Yes, it is still the same basic structure, but so many features were altered/removed as to render it a wholly different edifice today. (I was chairman of a local Landmark Preservation Board). There are strict percentages of change that cannot be exceeded, before a building is disqualified. Yankee Stadium is too different. (ironically, Shea Stadium could probably still qualify, as it is very similar to its original structural appearance/you'd only have to perform minor restoration to have it appear original).

                                This is why I always hoped that the billion dollars would have been spent restoring Yankee Stadium to its original appearance. I've seen an estimate of nearly a billion for the New YS. I cannot be convinced that a near total rebuild in place was more prohibitive. Of course, I am speaking as a Landmarks geek, not a baseball owner selling luxury boxes. Oh, well.
                                I too wish they could have restored the stadium closer to its original form. They could simply remove the paneling that covers the steel beams and catwalks, and also restore the ornate siding and frieze on an extended roof (not as much as the original but more like the new stadium). Then, knock down the walls that separate the concourses and the seating sections; therefore restoring the seating that was in that area and making the concourses open air. Bringing back the original entrances and a slight change in the field dimensions and bullpen locations could also help to restore the “old stadium”.
                                ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X