Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great footage of the stadium renovation in the new dvd Yankee Stadium- Baseball's Cathedral...just bought an advanced copy on ebay...great color footage of the old stadium too
    sigpic

Comment

• I have a good idea. Go up to the door and knock on it, and as soon as someone opens it, either snap the shot or ask if u can snap a shot of the inside.
      Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Has anyone thought of calling someone within the Yankees organization and asking them if they can see parts of the old stadium. Explain that you want to show it on this site, things like the old catwalks and concourses. Nothing that would be a security risk, just to answer the curious fans. It can't hurt to ask. The worst is they say no and we wait to see what we can see during demolition. :cap:

Comment

• That's a good one. I'm sorry, but that's never gonna happen.
          Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• I wonder how Mike Wagner's book has been coming along.

I'm going to be on a tour at Yankee Stadium on August 23rd and I'm going to ask about the old catwalks and storage areas.

Comment

• Dear Astros,
              Thank you for asking. I hope to be finished typing it up by September. I just finished chapters on 1973 and 1974. I probably have about 4 chapters left.

I do need help with regard to publishing it. I've never had a book published before. I'm open to self publishing as well as a big publisher publishing my book.

As I understand it, I have to come up with funds for a self published book. For a big publisher to publish it, I don't have to pay for publishing - or I pay much less, but I also have much less say, and it takes a lot longer to get done.

Here's what I guess I'll be looking at:

Somewhere around 300-350 total pages. This includes the color pages.
              Around 100 pages in color.
              I'd like a standard size 8 1/2"x11" or thereabouts size book.
              I want to do hard cover.
              I guess #20 or #24 paper stock. Probably glossy stock.
              I know the more you have printed the cheaper it is. I'd like at least a few thousand.

If anyone has any idea about how long and what the time and costs may be, I'd be very grateful for your input. I'd just like an idea as to what I'm looking at. Please respond here or [email protected]

If anyone can recommend a publisher here or overseas, please let me know.
              If there's someone you think I should stay away from, please let me know.
              I just want a good, honest job that's reasonable.

Thank you, all.

Respectfully,
              Mike Wagner

Comment

• Never saw this shot before - excuse the quality.

[ATTACH]45597[/ATTACH]

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                  Dear Astros,
                  Thank you for asking. I hope to be finished typing it up by September. I just finished chapters on 1973 and 1974. I probably have about 4 chapters left.

I do need help with regard to publishing it. I've never had a book published before. I'm open to self publishing as well as a big publisher publishing my book.

As I understand it, I have to come up with funds for a self published book. For a big publisher to publish it, I don't have to pay for publishing - or I pay much less, but I also have much less say, and it takes a lot longer to get done.

Here's what I guess I'll be looking at:

Somewhere around 300-350 total pages. This includes the color pages.
                  Around 100 pages in color.
                  I'd like a standard size 8 1/2"x11" or thereabouts size book.
                  I want to do hard cover.
                  I guess #20 or #24 paper stock. Probably glossy stock.
                  I know the more you have printed the cheaper it is. I'd like at least a few thousand.

If anyone has any idea about how long and what the time and costs may be, I'd be very grateful for your input. I'd just like an idea as to what I'm looking at. Please respond here or [email protected]

If anyone can recommend a publisher here or overseas, please let me know.
                  If there's someone you think I should stay away from, please let me know.
                  I just want a good, honest job that's reasonable.

Thank you, all.

Respectfully,
                  Mike Wagner
                  Hey Mike,

I guess it's possible to sell the books on-line as e-books. The buyer can just download a copy and read it on their computer. For $15 I would definitely buy a copy myself.
                  Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Dear cgcoyne2,
                    Thank you for the idea. I hadn't thought about that. Do I do it myself or is are there recommended sites?

-Mike

Comment

• You can self-publish an ebook for Amazon's Kindle reader through their site.

Comment

• Dear six4three,
                        Thank you for the information. I will investigate this. More than anything, I do want to publish a hard copy book, too.
                        -Mike

Comment

• These pics are through the bleacher porthole under the "batters eye" from the June 27th Yankees - Mets day game. I purposely did this after BP and before the game. I believe it is the open one above the Con Edison sign. And, man did I take some heat from stadium security(chased away, but got to keep the pics).
                          Attached Files
                          "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
                          - Brian Clough
                          "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
                          I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"

- John Lennon

Comment

• Originally posted by DallasGoon View Post
                            These pics are through the bleacher porthole under the "batters eye" from the June 27th Yankees - Mets day game. I purposely did this after BP and before the game. I believe it is the open one above the Con Edison sign. And, man did I take some heat from stadium security(chased away, but got to keep the pics).
                            How dare you GOON!!!!

Did you use up some of the security guards oxygen too? You must be one of those selfish people that think of only yourself. Actually stopping in a walkway to get what, a picture? How f'n dare you!!!!
                            Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• So I think I figured out exactly where the Upper Deck was extended in the 74-75 renovation.

Row K of the Upper Reserved.

I was sitting there last night, and 99% of all people going up the steps tripped over the step just past Row K. Apparantly this step is 1.5 inches higher than all the other steps in the Upper Deck, so I assume this is where the old steps meet the new steps.

Anyway, even if I am wrong, it made for an amusing evening of watching people trip, making bets with the guys across the aisle on who was going down...especially gratifying to see Red Sox fans lurching forward, spilling their beer, popcorn, dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by tdinan View Post
                                So I think I figured out exactly where the Upper Deck was extended in the 74-75 renovation.

Row K of the Upper Reserved.

I was sitting there last night, and 99% of all people going up the steps tripped over the step just past Row K. Apparantly this step is 1.5 inches higher than all the other steps in the Upper Deck, so I assume this is where the old steps meet the new steps.

Anyway, even if I am wrong, it made for an amusing evening of watching people trip, making bets with the guys across the aisle on who was going down...especially gratifying to see Red Sox fans lurching forward, spilling their beer, popcorn, dogs.
                                What I'd like to know is, in the picture of Joe D watching the renovation from the train platform in 1974/5?, what were the "ribs" of the extension of UD behind Home Plate attached to? How far down did then extend into/alongside the original UD 1923 framing? You've all probably seen this photo in several threads here regarding YS. And what part of the UD, old or new, were the suspension cables attached to and what % of the UD weight did they carry empty/full?

I find the 1974-5 renovation of YS as unique and full of mystique and intrigue as some of the sport's history in it before & after.
                                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X