Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry I cannot be of help to you. Hopefully I can later. So far I've written about the Old Yankee Stadium before the renovation. I'm working on 1971, when the idea of a renovation came about between Michael Burke and Mayor Lindsay. I have a way to go. I have about 100 double-spaced typewritten pages done so far. I have a box full of copies of newspaper articles, which are my main source. They are sorted and filed, and I still have to go through each subject. So, I apologize for not being able to answer your questions.

If anyone out there would like to answer these questions, we'd be very grateful.

Sincerely,
    Mike Wagner

Comment

Stadium

That is quite alright. Just thought I'd toss those questions out there.

Just to add, I think the idea of the book is great!

- Russ

Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
      I'm sorry I cannot be of help to you. Hopefully I can later. So far I've written about the Old Yankee Stadium before the renovation. I'm working on 1971, when the idea of a renovation came about between Michael Burke and Mayor Lindsay. I have a way to go. I have about 100 double-spaced typewritten pages done so far. I have a box full of copies of newspaper articles, which are my main source. They are sorted and filed, and I still have to go through each subject. So, I apologize for not being able to answer your questions.

If anyone out there would like to answer these questions, we'd be very grateful.

Sincerely,
      Mike Wagner

Comment

This is yet another area I wish to learn more about. Its really a shame that Osborn decided to sell their Yankee Stadium blueprints off a few years back. They are now in the hands of a private collector and who knows if we can ever find out the information we want.

I talked briefly with Bruce Orser about this. He knows someone who has copies of the Yankee Stadium plans. I think I may have to see if I can get ahold of him again to ask aboutt speaking with the owner for a detailed set of copies.

When I know anything I will let you know.

Richard

Comment

Thank you Richard.

-Mike

Comment

Yankee Stadium Dirt and Debris

I talked with a very nice gentleman a few days ago who worked at the Stadium during the renovation. He told me the dirt and debris from the renovation was dumped in the Bronx, but he doesn't know where. Does anyone have the answer?
            -Mike Wagner

Comment

1976 Yankee Stadium frieze

Does anyone know for a fact whether the Yankee Stadium frieze in the "new" Yankee Stadium is cement, concrete, all cement and concrete with parts of it plastic, or something else? I have heard numerous things. For my book I want TOTAL accuracy. Also, does anyone know of anyone who actually worked on the renovation of Yankee Stadium from 1973-1976?
              Thank you.
              -Mike Wagner

Comment

That's one of those things we have debated time and time again on these threads.

My money given the way its braced is concrete pillars and a fiberglass struture over them and in between with steel cross framework behind them for added support.

If I remember to a little later on I will post sosme pics of the current frieze.

Richard

Comment

Dear Richard,
                  Thank you for your info. Any idea what company made it?
                  -Mike

Comment

Hi Maybe this helps..
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dear enchano,
                      Thank you for a great photo!!!! Any idea if any of the facade is plastic, fiberglas, or all cement.
                      -Mike

Comment

I remember reading everything I could about the renovation back in '76. I was 15 back then and ate, slept and drank Yankee baseball, because in the early 70's they were the "other" team in NY. I loved the old stadium..it used to look so cool on all those WPIX games and also live as well. The old stadium was OLD..wooden seats..smaller width...poles blocking your view. Smelled like stale beer..but the playing field, the short fences, the 296 FT foul line, auxillary scoreboards, death valley were forever changed when the renovated Stadium opened. I was most dissapointed by the 8 foot fence. The NY Times Magazine on the Sunday before the stadium opened had a nice color cover shot of the "brand new" empty Stadium days before it opened. Perhaps the Times has it in their achives. The shot was taken from the top of the upper deck behind home plate. Yankee Stadium's most distinguishing feature will be bulldozed for good. It's the unique upper deck that wraps around the foul poles, I think. Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that the "facade" was a fiberglass replica. I never heard of plastic. Another quirk of the renovation was they made the dugouts roofs too low. They had to pad the top of each dugout so guys wouldn't hit their head. The padding is still there. Another quirk that was very noticable in the beginning was the outfield fence seemed to gradually shorten in height from the right field pole pole to center field. I remmember reading that the field was not level, it sloped down towards left field. Look at pictures from late 70's early 80's. There was no left field bleachers in the first season, nor any out of town scoreboard, which was amazing to me since Shea and the old Stadium had great out of town scoreboards. The center field scoreboard had a "telescreen"..the same one that was in the 1976 Giants Stadium. Very grainy and hard to see especially in daytime. Speaking of the Giants, I am pretty sure they played the Jets in an exhibition game in the summer of 76 at renovated Yankee Stadium as Giants Stadium was nearing completion. I am going to see if I can dig up any thing I kept as far as magazines, yearbooks, books, etc..

Comment

Dear Enchano,
                          Thank you for your time, effort, and memories. It's amazing how some of the important information is still quite elusive. newspaperarchive.com and the New York Times archives have been a great help. In fact, they are where I got most of my information. Also, some people associated with the renovation have been kind enough to send me information as well.
                          -Mike
                          -Mike

Comment

I am tired so I am going to make this quick, but I have to add my two cents....

I believe the facade on the current stadium is either concrete or cement.

Having been to the old stadium and the new stadium, I would like to share my insights as to comparing both versions:

I went to the last game at the old stadium and the first game at the renovated stadium. As I remember things, there was not much of an uproar to rebuild the stadium. The rest of the city was going down the toilet and nobody really gave a flying feces.

Walking into the renovated stadium was very nice, but nothing like walking into the original. I felt the renovated stadium was sterile and cookie cutter like. There was limited advertising, no left field bleachers, no out of town scoreboard and monument park was basically what was out in center field in the old ballpark.

Over the years, the Yanks spruced it up and added to monument park and added some more vivid color and additional advertising. It is still nothing like the original, even though the original was desperately in need of renovation or complete rebuilding.

Remember, the renovation deal was struck between the Yankees and the city before Steinbrenner took over ownership from CBS.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Compared to this photo.............
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TJH1923; 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Dear TJH 1923,
                                Thank you for your input. I loved the old Stadium. When the Yankees played at Shea, I NEVER felt comfortable because I NEVER felt at home. Nothing against the Mets, but home is home!!!
                                With regard to the facade of the "new" Stadium, you said you believe the facade to be cement or concrete. As you probably know, some folks believe plastic and/or fiberglass may also be used. I'm just trying to get the undisputable makeup of the facade. I hope to make NO errors in my book.
                                As we Yankee fans know, the facade instantly tells everyone you're at Yankee Stadium. I just want to be totally accurate on all aspects in my book.
                                This is especially true of this great symbol of our sacred ballpark.
                                I also went to the last game before the renovation. What an honor to be in Yankee Stadium when it was the Yankee Stadium graced by Babe, Lou, Joe, Mickey, Roger, Yogi, Whitey, Elston, and the other heroes we worshipped and hoped to become.
                                -Mike Wagner

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X