Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frank72
    replied
    Another plug for Baseball Fever! Mike Vaccaro has a link to this thread in his blog on NY Post's website today. See below:

I never saw a game in the "old" Yankee Stadium. My first baseball summer was 1974, a time when the Yankees were sharing Shea with the MetsNew York Mets . That has always been a regret, that I didn't see the light just a few months earlier. Maybe I would remember the old place, maybe not. Maybe there would be pictures of me there; probably not, my old man was never much for remembering the Instamatic. My whole life, though, I've been awed by pictures of the Old Place, and because of one reason: the facade. The frieze. Whatever you call it. It was there on old baseball cards. It was there in old albums. It was in the background of a scene in "Serpico." There are a zillion such images on this cool web site. The lasting pity of the new version of the Old Stadium is that they never saw fit to preserve it, opting for that faux stuff in the outfield, a pale imitation. It's back, though. I'm sitting in the press box and I can't take my eyes off it. Well done. Well done indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Just a simple question: Pods landed outside Yankee Stadium at only Gates #6 and #4, but why not in front of Gate #2?

-Was it a space issue/street setback?
    I think that's it in a nutshell.

Leave a comment:

• darbypitcher22
    replied
    wow! those are some great pics of the blueprints! Thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    ?? Gate 2 ??

Just a simple question: Pods landed outside Yankee Stadium at only Gates #6 and #4, but why not in front of Gate #2?

-Was it a space issue/street setback?

It does look like a stair pod - of sorts - was squeezed in about where the visiting bullpen used to be, next to the end of the LF grandstand. It's not as round/ovoid in shape as the ones at gates 4 and 6 though.

Any reason for the way this corner of OYS was modified as with regards to elevation/stairway access?

I'm glad as much of Gate 2 survived as it did(the top part, with "YANKEE STADIUM" etched into, was cannibalized to make room for the new upper-deck concourse & associated counterweight ring,) but the rest of it, and the ticket booths, survive!
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-03-2009, 07:16 PM. Reason: Like kitchen cabinet doors, I leave open parentheses!

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
    Sorry to contradict, but that is definitely Bob Sheppard.

To be fair, voices do change over time. Listen to early Mel Allen play-by-plays and then listen to him doing Dave Righetti's 1983 no-hitter. The voice can be the same person but cadences, inflections, and even pacing can all subtly evolve into something different.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    bob merrill didn't sing the anthem in boston, live or recorded...

Leave a comment:

• DGDGBD
    replied
    Mike, No need to apologize at all. Yep, I have read those threads. Actually I had argued in one that the renovation frieze was probably fiberglass, so the blueprint contradicts my earlier argument.
    Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
    Dear DGDGBD,

I sincerely wish to THANK YOU for posting your blueprint on here. Believe me, you are most welcome to add any information with regard to the renovation, frieze, or anything else.

I don't know if you saw another thread I have on Baseball Fever, "Yankee Stadium Frieze." We've had a lot of contradictions about the 1923 frieze and the 1976 frieze.

So, I wish to apologize to you about my remarks about needing Excedrin. Any information about the friezes from the different years are exciting and most interesting. It's just that it's a very iffy topic with respect to certain facts. If you see the thread, you'll understand.

Again, thank you for your additions.

Most Sincerely,
    Mike Wagner

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear DGDGBD,

I sincerely wish to THANK YOU for posting your blueprint on here. Believe me, you are most welcome to add any information with regard to the renovation, frieze, or anything else.

I don't know if you saw another thread I have on Baseball Fever, "Yankee Stadium Frieze." We've had a lot of contradictions about the 1923 frieze and the 1976 frieze.

So, I wish to apologize to you about my remarks about needing Excedrin. Any information about the friezes from the different years are exciting and most interesting. It's just that it's a very iffy topic with respect to certain facts. If you see the thread, you'll understand.

Again, thank you for your additions.

Most Sincerely,
    Mike Wagner

Leave a comment:

• Kaplanski
    replied
    Ticket booth sections

Originally posted by DGDGBD View Post
    this from the 74-75 renovation plans, but certified in 1978 as a "record drawing". Whether they renovated the originals or built replicas, I'm not sure. I always thought they just spruced up the originals.
    At any rate, the overall dimensions are probably the same. I've had to do a lot of gestimation from photographs. Now I can use these plans to check my work.

Thanks for posting these!

Rick

Leave a comment:

• DGDGBD
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaplanski View Post
    Man.. I could have used these a few weeks ago!

So are these plans to the reproductions or the originals?

Rick
    this from the 74-75 renovation plans, but certified in 1978 as a "record drawing". Whether they renovated the originals or built replicas, I'm not sure. I always thought they just spruced up the originals.

Leave a comment:

• brooklyndodger14
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaplanski View Post

Rick
    Hello Rick,

These are the renovation versions. Yours on the 1973 model are much better looking.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Leave a comment:

• Kaplanski
    replied
    Ticket booth sections

Rick

Leave a comment:

• DGDGBD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DGDGBD
    replied
    Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
    Interesting find. Is it possible to scan the whole blueprint? I notice in the upper left corner a profile view of one of the ticket booths.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Leave a comment:

• brooklyndodger14
    replied
    Interesting find. Is it possible to scan the whole blueprint? I notice in the upper left corner a profile view of one of the ticket booths.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Leave a comment:

• brooklyndodger14
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
    I don't think that was Bob, I think that was Sherm Feller at Fenway Park. Sounds just like him, and some of the phrases he used (such as "Ladies and gentlemen... boys and girls" with a long pause after "Ladies and Gentlemen," and a real fast "boys and girls"), as well as the way he spoke, were just like Sherm Feller. The only thing is they had Robert Merrill singing the national anthem, which was, of course, more of a YS thing (maybe he did it at Fenway and other ballparks occassionally though).

Still, if I had to bet, that was Sherm Feller.

ETA: This is a clip of Sherm for comparison. Sounds just like him. http://www.shermfeller.com/Sherm%20F...les/Anthem.mp3

Sorry to contradict, but that is definitely Bob Sheppard.

To be fair, voices do change over time. Listen to early Mel Allen play-by-plays and then listen to him doing Dave Righetti's 1983 no-hitter. The voice can be the same person but cadences, inflections, and even pacing can all subtly evolve into something different.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X