Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article about some recent renovations. I wonder if this was the first major field work since the big renovation.

http://www.recmanagement.com/200204fp03.php

Comment

I'd be interested to see photos looking towards River Avenue and the apartment buildings on Gerard that were taken during the renovation, after the old scoreboard was taken down but before the new one was put up.

Also, are there any aerial photos of the Stadium during the renovation? Those would be cool.
      X

Comment

Dear Mike,

I worked for Karl Koch Erectors of Cartaret, NJ as an Ironworker/Connector for 19 months on Yankee Stadium. If you do an archive search of the NY Times August 29, 1974, I was photographed and interviewed for an article about the renovation. If you are still working on the book, you might want to hear some anecdotal stories from an Ironworkers perspective. After the Stadium, I worked on Giant Stadium, Columbia U. Gym, the Trade Center; all Koch projects.

Richard Muller

Comment

Dear Mr. Muller,
          Thank you for your note. It's always very exciting to see what people who have worked on a project have to say. I enjoy the behind the scenes stories and perspectives from people who were there. It was a great pleasure and honor to talk to you.

Sincerely,
          Mike

Comment

I recently had contact with Tony Morante, who conducts tours at Yankee Stadium. He said the centerfield frieze at Yankee Stadium is made of cement, and the dirt and debris from the renovation was probably used for landfill at other sites in the NYC area.
            -Mike Wagner

Comment

If anyone knows of anybody who worked on the renovation, I'd be most grateful if you would have them please contact me at [email protected]

I'd really like to get more firsthand stories, as they are very interesting, and this would ensure more accuracy to my book.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
              Michael Wagner

Comment

My research has shown the Yankee Stadium frieze during construction from 1922-1923 was made of copper. Has anyone found it to be the brownish color of copper when it's new, and then it turned green over time? I don't recall ever reading or hearing the color of the copper in 1922-1923.

Also, I've been told that Veterans Field in Edgewater, New Jersey, has landfill from Yankee Stadium. Also, that it's not known if this landfill is from the original building of Yankee Stadium in 1922-1923, &/or from the renovation of 1973-1976. Does anyone know for sure what the story is?

Thank you.

-Michael Wagner

Comment

Found this for sale on ebay, this is from 1975
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Mattingly, whats the end date for that photo? I checked the first 4 pages of Yankee Stadium items and didn't see it.
                    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1975-Photo-...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like just the negative. A great snap nonetheless.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                      Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

yankee stadium renovation

I have a spot light that supposedly came from Yankee Stadium when they did the renovation in the 70,s. I was looking for advice on the value and how to prove that it is authentic. any info you can provide would be helpful.
                        Thanks Cheryl

Comment

Some great pic's

Attached (hopefully) are some great Yankee Stadium pics. The first 3 are from the early 1970's (pre-renovation). The Dimaggio/Mantle Old Timer's Day pic is one of my favorites. I'd kill to see the video tapes of those games. Somebody could probably figure out the date of the scoreboard pic using the schedule info. The last one is a shot taken outside the Stadium during the 1937 World Series. This is my first post on this website...so I hope this worked. I've got a ton of pics, so I'll be posting some more soon.
                          Cheers!
                          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Forgot this one....

Mick & Joe at that same Old Timer's Day.
                            Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Great shots! Have you checked out the Yankee Stadium Pre Rennovation thread? These pictures would be better suited there and there are also a number of great shots that you can see in the 20+ pages of that thread.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing anything else you've got!

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                                Mick & Joe at that same Old Timer's Day.

My dad always told me Mantle and DiMaggio hated each other. I guess they were friends that day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X