Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    Why would they be "required" to change the name? Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics. Non baseball examples include New Orleans Jazz-Utah Jazz, Minneapolis Lakers-Los Angeles Lakers, NFL Cardinals.
    Yankees is a northern moniker, a hated term in the south. Dallas Yankees wouldn't have worked.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
      Yankees is a northern moniker, a hated term in the south. Dallas Yankees wouldn't have worked.
      Yeah, I can attest to that, "Yankee" is something you get called by state troopers in texas when you get pulled over with New York plates for going ten over while there are pickups flying by about 90mph. There's no way "Yankees" would work in the South.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
        I understand this isn't a baseball reference but "Jazz" works in Salt Lake City, Utah? "Dodgers" is strictly a Los Angeles term? "Yankee" is also a synonym for American is it not? Yankee is closely identified with the Northeast, but can also be used to generally descibe an American.
        mrakbaseball
        Vorsprung durch Technik
        Last edited by mrakbaseball; 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM. Reason: added "Dodgers" reference

Comment

• Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
          I understand this isn't a baseball reference but Jazz works in Salt Lake City, Utah? Yankee is also a synonym for American is it not? Yankee is closely identified with the Northeast, but can also be used to generally descibe an American.

Foreigners do refer to Americans generally as Yankees, but to Southerners, a Yankee is a Northerner in general and a Northeasterner in particular. In the south the more common term is "damn Yankee."

With regard to the LA Lakers, I suspect that the nickname was only retained due to its alliterative quality.

Utah Jazz doesn't seem to match but I understand that jazz did become somewhat popular in Salt Lake. I wonder if the team moving in had anything to do with that.

Finally, we should be glad that our team name was changed in 1903 and we never became the New York Orioles!

Regards,
          Mark

Comment

• 1923 Yankee Stadium Field Dimensions

Dear Friends,
            Today I was just thrown a curveball on www.yankees.com

In my renovation book, I have the following 1923 field dimensions. Most are taken from the 1923 Sporting News & New World Encyclopedia.

LF Line LCF Deepest LCF CF Deepest RCF RCF RF Line

301 395 460 490 429 367 295

www.yankees.com said the 1923 dimensions were:

318 399 not listed 408 not listed 385 314

You would think the Yankees would have the most accurate records in this case. Does anyone POSITIVELY know the accurate dimensions FOR SURE?
            I want to be 100% accurate.

Thank you, guys.

Sincerely,
            Mike Wagner

Comment

• As per The Yankee Encyclopedia Vol. 3:
              1923 LF Line: 281 Ft. CF: 490 Ft. RF Line: 295 Ft.

The Official Retrospective Yankee Stadium Pg. 43-44
              1923 LF Line: 280 Ft. CF: 487 Ft. RF Line295 Ft. Power Alley LFC: 500 Ft. RCF Power Alley: 429 Ft.
              Last edited by TJH1923; 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Andrew Clem 1923 & 1928
                Attached Files

Comment

• That second illustration is sometime after homeplate was moved up to eliminate the bad corner in right, so that changes the distances to the bleachers from one photo to the next. Somebody else, sorry I forget who, but a credible source on here, said it was 281 down each line. Also, Mike, if the Yankees listed that second set of dimensions as being from 1923, it's a typo. Those look like post renovation numbers. I don't think I'd trust any of the info coming from them, they've gotten me in trouble in the past using some of their numbers. I think sometimes they just put stuff out there not realizing how seriously some people care. I've seen so much conflicting info on this over the years, and I'm not even sure any of these dimensions were ever painted on the walls, that you may want to approximate the numbers.

Comment

• Ruthless Baseball - Harry Swanson Pg. 108
                    Attached Files

Comment

• deleted deleted
                      brooklyndodger14
                      Former OYS Vendor 1971-83
                      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 03-14-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I agree with Stadiumbuilder; the second group of numbers are definitely the current (renovated) stadium distances since the fences were moved in in the late 1980s. I've also read that the original 1923 distances lasted only for that one year. In 1924, the plate was supposed to have been moved forward some to eliminate the "bloody angle" where the stands down the right field line had jutted across the foul line. That's how the distance down the line changed from 25? to 290ish.

And just to explain where the term "bloody angle" really came from, during a number of Civil War battles the most serious fighting often took place along a line whereas the attacking army attempted the breach a stone wall or a breastworks built of earth, logs, etc. Sometimes, the defensive line would turn sharply one way or the other and the fighting was usually very severe at these angles in the line. Hence the term, bloody angle.

You can imagine that a shot hit down the right field line would take a nasty bounce off that angle of the stands and end up rolling towards the middle of the field causing the poor rightfielder to abruptly change direction and chase the ball down. As Yankee Stadium opened less than 60 years after the end of the Civil War, the term bloody angle was probably still in the collective memory. So after some old war veterans witnessed doubles being turned into triples, the term would have been applied.

Regards,
                        Mark

Comment

• Dear Friends,
                          Thank you for your responses. As we can all see, there are so many numbers listed. We know that there were definite numbers on the fences. What gets me is that there are so many bandied about.

While I DO respect the sources you wonderful friends have sent me, I think my best bet is to just delete the numbers I have in my book, and not use them at all. From the beginning of my book, I was aiming for 100% accuracy.
                          While the sources we've seen are all respected, who is to be believed? Once people see it in print, they'll believe it to be the truth, as they should. So, since there is so much uncertainty, I think I'll just leave these numbers out of the book.

What I can say with certainty is that I have sung high praises to my friends in Baseball Fever, as they have come to my rescue and that of many others. Your generosity and knowledge are second to none. These praises are in my book, as they are so richly DESERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are the BEST!!!!!

Most Sincerely,
                          Mike

Comment

• Why delete the numbers?

I think your best bet is to include them but with qualifications. That way you can document the debate over the distances and perhaps inspire a reader to pursue the issue further.

Comment

• I think it would depend on the time period that Mike wants to cover with respect to the distances. If it's after 1937 or so, these can be ascertained with certainty though the use of photos where the dates are clear. The earlier period is more problematical, however. I'm not sure that the wall distances were posted then and there does seem to be some variation in the numbers quoted depending on the source.

If only the 1973 vs. the 1976 distances are needed, that shouldn't be a problem to nail down for sure.

Comment

• I don't know if I've ever seen a photo of either, but I remember reading years ago that prior to the instillation of the auxiliary scoreboards there was a 415 marker to the right of the visitors bullpen and a 367 maker to the left of the Yankee pen. Just thought I'd mention that in case we want to make this even more confusing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X