Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    My dad always told me Mantle and DiMaggio hated each other. I guess they were friends that day.
    There relationship was always a bit cold ever since Mantle was a rookie and the story of the 51" world series when Joe D call a fly ball at the last possible moment causeing Micky to stp short and totally messing up his knee on a drain. Joe D had a pretty big ego, and could a little bit of a jerk because of it. We of course don't know for sure how they where with each other, but I have heard that was allot of tenson between each of them, they where at least civil with each other especially during public apperances.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Here's a renovation shot....

I forgot that I had this picture too. It looks like the early stages of the renovation. I posted the other pic's because I know it's pretty hard to find good quality colors pic's of the Stadium during its very last days. Anyways, I will check out the pre-renovation page...I look forward to it. I've been collecting ballpark images for the past few years (not just Yankee Stadium)...I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of stuff in a variety of threads. BTW this website ROCKS!
      Cheers! ~B
      Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
        I forgot that I had this picture too. It looks like the early stages of the renovation. I posted the other pic's because I know it's pretty hard to find good quality colors pic's of the Stadium during its very last days. Anyways, I will check out the pre-renovation page...I look forward to it. I've been collecting ballpark images for the past few years (not just Yankee Stadium)...I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of stuff in a variety of threads. BTW this website ROCKS!
        Cheers! ~B
        Good to hear, Think you will be here allot! There is allot of great post and interesting posts on here. It's the only fourm I regually post on for any subject,(not just baseball) There are allot of cool people on here who really know their stuff, there are usally someone to talk too on here and there isn't that many jerks and the real bad jerks don't last that long! Like I said this is the only fourm that I like period not just baseball sites!
        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

I just found this forum today, what a great site!

On a semi-related note to this thread, I have always been facisnated with the period when Shea was home to all 4 baseball and football teams. Were there any changes made to Shea durring Yankee or Giant homegames, such as signage on the wall, dugouts or scoreboard?

I would imagine the field was in pretty bad shape from constant use. Were there any other special arrangements / modifications made to Shea durring this unique period in NY Sports history?? Also if anyone has any pictures that would be pretty cool too! Thanks!
          Andrew

Comment

I remember seeing a picture of the Shea scoreboard where the Yankee logo was where the Mets logo usually was.

The cover of either the '74 or '75 Yankees program has a nice overview of Shea.
            X

Comment

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
              Attached (hopefully) are some great Yankee Stadium pics. The first 3 are from the early 1970's (pre-renovation).
              If they're from the same game, they're all from 1973. The scoreboard notes Chicago coming in to town "TUES APR 24," and April 24th fell on a Tuesday in 1973.

More, please...
              X

Comment

Dear BSmile,
                Thank you for posting your photos on my thread. They are great shots!!! I love the "old" Yankee Stadium, so it's always a great pleasure and honor to see such photos and wonderful memories.
                -Michael Wagner

Comment

You bet.....

Michael,
                  I'm just sorry that I hadn't found this website until yesterday. Sadly, I don't think I have too many more pic's from early-mid 70's....but I'm in the process of posting some great old pic's to the pre-renovation thread. If I find any more renovation pic's, I'll surely pass them along here.
                  Cheers! ~B

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    If they're from the same game, they're all from 1973. The scoreboard notes Chicago coming in to town "TUES APR 24," and April 24th fell on a Tuesday in 1973.
                    The last pic is from Sunday, April 15th, the actual 50th Anniversary celebration day (they were away on the 18th). Yanks beat the Red Sox, 6-2, Stottlemyre all the way.

Old Timer's Day wouldn't be in April, though. Also, in 1973 it was on Aug 11th, but they played the A's, not the Red Sox (regular game lineup behind DiMag). Also, there are pitchers in the lineup (unlike the third pic), so I think the Joe D/Mick pics are from 1972 or earlier (no DH).
                    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                    Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                      Attached (hopefully) are some great Yankee Stadium pics... Somebody could probably figure out the date of the scoreboard pic using the schedule info... This is my first post on this website...so I hope this worked. I've got a ton of pics, so I'll be posting some more soon.
                      Cheers!

Welcome to the Fever, BSmile!

I was at that game as a Stadium vendor!

According to Retrosheet and the information on the scoreboard, the game date is Sunday, April 15th, 1973. It is the last day of the Yank's 5-game Opening Day homestand (3 vs. Cleveland and a pair vs. Boston). Mel Stottlemyre beat the Red Sox that afternoon 6-2.

Some interesting Yankees trivia for that week and that game:

-On Opening Day, the Yankees debuted their double-knit home uniforms. I remember a telecast around that time where Phil Rizzuto modeled the then-novel uniform in the broadcast booth and described the feeling of wearing them "as if I'm poured into them" comparing them to the heavy flannels of his day. The new double-knit roadies with the navy-white-navy sleeve trim and navy "NEW YORK" outlined in white premiered over a week earlier.

-The Yankees also revealed their 50th Anniversary Yankee Stadium patch worn only on their home uni's (and NOT on their roadies as erroneously reported in Mark Okkonen's book on 20th Century baseball uniforms).

-April 15th was the closest home gameday to the actual 50th anniversary of Yankee Stadium's debut (April 18, 1923). For this hallmark event, the Yankees gave a Hostess Chocolate Cupcake with the Stadium's 50th Anniversary logo on the label to all the fans attending the game (Damn, I shoulda saved the label! LOL). I do believe Bob Sheppard and organist Toby Wright led the crowd in singing "Happy Birthday", but I cannot be sure.

-The late Celerino Sanchez (#10) was the DH that day and the scoreboard indicated the newly created spot in the lineup as a lone "B". This also eliminated seeing who the pitchers are. 9 days earlier at Fenway, Ron Bloomberg made baseball history as the very first Designated Hitter against Luis Tiant and these same Red Sox (Boomer singled and went to first while his bat went to Cooperstown).

-Another new scoreboard feature was the batting average posted in the second row of the message display (where it reads "WELCOME" in the pic). By the time the Yankees returned home to play Chicago, that row was bracketed with a white line above and below. The message board hails two fans who attended the original 1923 Opening Day.

Please keep those pics coming!

Dennis
                      BrooklynDodger14
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Here's the last of them...

Great info Dennis!
                        I never knew the specific dates for those pics. Anyways, here's the last of them...I would presume from the same day. The first is a great pic of the left field bleachers. The second is of the Yankees taking pre-game batting practice. The third is a great shot of Billy Martin, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle and Whitey Ford (sadly, he's cut-off. sorry, not my fault). Enjoy!
                        ~B
                        p.s. I think I also have a pic of Bobby Murcer at the plate with Fisk catching during the game. I've got to check a seperate disk for that....

Comment

• Here's that pic!

Bobby Murcer at the plate and Carlton Fisk catching. BTW, the batting practice pic that I just posted might be from the same year but on a different day...hard to say for sure...but it's certainley from that era.
                          Cheers! ~B

Comment

• Some incredible photos on here, wow. Old Yankee Stadium was a thing of beauty.

Comment

• BSmile, that photo of Billy Martin, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle and Whitey Ford appears to be taken at Shea Stadium. Look at the grandstand behind them.

On another note, I don't like the way the stadium looked when they had the steel supports painted blue and the front edges of the 2nd and 3rd decks painted white.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                                Great info Dennis!
                                I never knew the specific dates for those pics. Anyways, here's the last of them... The second is of the Yankees taking pre-game batting practice...

The wide-angle BP shot is of Saturday, September 29, 1973. You can see Ron Blomberg (12) and Graig Nettles (9) at the cage.

The scoreboard shows Detroit and a single game scheduled for "TOMORROW 2PM", and the traditional season-ending (and additionally in this case, Old Stadium Era-ending) "THANK YOU FANS".

So the funny story I have here, is that while the Yanks are taking batting practice, it is PRECISELY at this time that I am in Mezzanine Section 21 (1B side, just by the RF foul pole), armed with a screwdriver and pliers (as were many of us vendors) taking down the sign hanging above the concourse! The gates had not yet opened up to fans and that area was deserted at the time: no security, ushers, etc. That Section 21 sign is still one of my proudest possesions of old YS...

For those who might have been wondering, the Yanks had already taken down all the OF plaques (Barrow, Ruppert, Pope Paul VI, The Mick, & DiMaggio) from the walls, and Ruth, Gehrig, & Huggins off the monuments, and Mantle's 500th homer plaque in RF (later stolen) way in advance of the final homestand.

BSmile, I would gladly pay to have prints made of these shots! Please PM me..

Dennis
                                BrooklynDodger14
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X