Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're right...

Yeah, that pic of Martin etc. looks like it could be Shea Stadium...which would probably mean 1974 or 1975. Like I said, I never had any dates for those pictures...but good catch.
    ~B
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Dennis....

Another great story from you! Yeah, I had a feeling that it wasn't the same day. The bad news is, I don't physically own these pictures...I only have the digital images of them (I didn't personally take them). I guess you could copy them to disk from here and bring them to a good print-house. The images I've posted are exactly the way that I have them stored...I didn't resize or lessen the pixel quality of any of them. They are still pretty high quality images...I'm sure you could get a good printed quality from them.
      Good Luck! ~B

Comment

• Originally posted by stlfan View Post
        BSmile, that photo of Billy Martin, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle and Whitey Ford appears to be taken at Shea Stadium. Look at the grandstand behind them.
        Definitely Shea. BSmile, do you have any good shots showing the Shea scoreboard with the Yankees as the home team?
        X

Comment

• Shea scoreboard...

Sorry Gary,
          I really don't have many pics of Shea. I'd love to see any pic's of the Yankees at Shea. Maybe that'll be something for me to track down...I'll have to get back to you on that.
          ~B

Comment

• 2 things:

1. Remember when the Yankees played that game at Shea because the beam fell before a game once? My dad and my uncle were supposed to go to that game. They were at the bar having drinks before the game, and someone came in and told them the game was canceled. It was on my dad's birthday, too.

2. There was no tv at the old stadium? They didn't show any instant replay or that video they show every time I go to the stadium of the guy running into a cardboard wall during a game?

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
              2. There was no tv at the old stadium? They didn't show any instant replay or that video they show every time I go to the stadium of the guy running into a cardboard wall during a game?
              No, there wasn't any TV at the original stadium.

Adding a video board to the scoreboard during the renovation was a very radical idea, and while it was state-of-the-art at the time it was very primitive compared to what we're accustomed to now - for instance, the original board was monochrome, and the detail was nowhere near as fine as today's video boards give us.
              X

Comment

• Hey Dennis, do you know what game this is from post #87? Can't fit that Yankee lineup with any Red Sox game on retrosheet from '70-'73.

Joe & Mick - Old Timers Game (early 70's).jpg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                  Hey Dennis, do you know what game this is from post #87? Can't fit that Yankee lineup with any Red Sox game on retrosheet from '70-'73.

[ATTACH]35623[/ATTACH]
                  That is the OTD game from Saturday, July 10, 1971. Stan Bahnsen (45) is the Yankee starter and they won 5-3 with Murcer hitting a 1st inning solo homer to start the scoring.

Sorry, no good vendor stories for this one because I was overseas at the time and hadn't applied yet, lol

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                    That is the OTD game from Saturday, July 10, 1971.
                    Missed that one. Awesome, thanks!

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                    Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Great pix guys, and from my era, too. That OT Day shot at Shea is 1975. Martin wasn't there in '74, and OT Day '75 was his first game as Yanks manager, replacing Bill Virdon. Virdon was the guy that hit the grounder, that hit a rock, that caused the ball to hit Tony Kubek in the throat in the 1960 Series. All this eventually led to Mazeroski's game-winning HR.
                      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                        Mick & Joe at that same Old Timer's Day.

Wow. This shot should be brought to the attention of the Yankees. A nice, big reproduction should be hanging in the "Hall of Heroes" in the new Stadium.
                        sigpic

Comment

• In the picture of the bleachers in post 101, there's a black curved extension on the warning track, sticking out a few feet from where the fence is. It's just to the left of the flagpole and monuments. No seats on it, just a black surface. What was that?

Comment

• The curved section was a cage that protected part of the PA system.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                              Great info Dennis!
                              I never knew the specific dates for those pics. Anyways, here's the last of them...I would presume from the same day. The first is a great pic of the left field bleachers. The second is of the Yankees taking pre-game batting practice. The third is a great shot of Billy Martin, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle and Whitey Ford (sadly, he's cut-off. sorry, not my fault). Enjoy!
                              ~B
                              p.s. I think I also have a pic of Bobby Murcer at the plate with Fisk catching during the game. I've got to check a seperate disk for that....

That last picture is not in Yankee Stadium. Shea perhaps?

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                                That last picture is not in Yankee Stadium. Shea perhaps?
                                It was established in post #115 that the photo was indeed taken at Shea Stadium, on Old Timers Day in 1975.
                                X

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X