Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I must have skipped over it.

Richard

Comment

• Black curved extension

Hofflalu, I was at that last game on Sep 30 1973 and we all ran out on the field after the last out was made. I was curious for a long time what that was. When I looked, I was surprised to find it was a screen mesh and there were tomato plants growing inside! There was also some groundskeeping equipment, but that's all I remember seeing in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
        Hofflalu, I was at that last game on Sep 30 1973 and we all ran out on the field after the last out was made. I was curious for a long time what that was. When I looked, I was surprised to find it was a screen mesh and there were tomato plants growing inside! There was also some groundskeeping equipment, but that's all I remember seeing in there.
        Who the heck was growing tomato plants at Yankee stadium? Maybe they were not "tomato" plants
        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

• I was told they belonged to head of the crew. And they did have ripe tomatoes on them. Believe me, that wasn't what I was expecting to find there, it made a big impression on me! First thing I had to do when I got on that field was go over to the monuments and get a perspective on the 463ft to home plate. I foolishly didn't bring my camera that day, I was hoping to be carrying souvenirs instead. Didn't get too much, but did save my ticket stub in mint condition. What I can't find is my stub from opening day in '76.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
            Who the heck was growing tomato plants at Yankee stadium? Maybe they were not "tomato" plants
            I heard Steinbrenner grows tomatos in the outfied sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
              I heard Steinbrenner grows tomatos in the outfied sometimes.
              No, Jim, those are money trees.
              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                No, Jim, those are money trees.
                um, no, I saw on TV. They had tomatos growing in the outfield once before a playoff game.

Comment

• I also went to the last game. I brought a 1 quart Carvel tub and scooped dirt from where the second baseman played. A guy tried to pickpocket me while I was doing that!!! I also kicked out seats for souvenirs, as did my friends. Before we exited the Stadium, the police said we couldn't take the seats home, so we had to leave them.

By the way, I wish to thank you, BSmile for your fascinating and outstanding photos . What treasures of history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
                  Thank you so much for sharing them.

Sincerely,
                  Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                    I also went to the last game. I brought a 1 quart Carvel tub and scooped dirt from where the second baseman played. A guy tried to pickpocket me while I was doing that!!! I also kicked out seats for souvenirs, as did my friends. Before we exited the Stadium, the police said we couldn't take the seats home, so we had to leave them.

By the way, I wish to thank you, BSmile for your fascinating and outstanding photos . What treasures of history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
                    Thank you so much for sharing them.

Sincerely,
                    Mike Wagner
                    I think if you kept you seats or not depended on which way and when you were exiting the ballpark.

The bullpen gates was where most souvenir gatherers exited unhassled. They had direction signs, seat backs, seat bottoms (yup, I remember seeing the constant stomping & jumping to dislodge the bottoms from their anchors!), people climbing the pillars trying to take down the small square section signs, etc.

Several "teams" of fans were lugging large sections of the attached common-backed, flat-bottomed grandstand seats. Others had managed to snag one or two of the more upscale curved back seats.

As I remember, fans were on the field for about an hour after the game. After that, all the police gathered in one long line extending from bullpen to bullpen and, once the bullpen gates were closed, proceeded to slowly walk in a single-file formation slowly shepparding the remaining fans to exit via the field level ramps and ultimately, the grandstand gates.

Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14
                    brooklyndodger14
                    Former OYS Vendor 1971-83
                    Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 02-24-2008, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• I did not go through the bullpen area. It was probably around the 1B or 3B side. At least they let me keep the infield dirt.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• By the way, I wish to thank you, BSmile for your fascinating and outstanding photos . What treasures of history!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing them.

It's been my pleasure Mike. I'm glad I finally found a place (forum) that could really appreciate them....and thanks to everyone else for all their great photos too. Right now, I'm still working to add to my Babe Ruth Pic's thread in the "History of the Game" section. Anyways, I dug up this old polaroid of Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle playing cards together at what appears to be a vacation/hunting shack. Must be early 70's. I know it's not a "renovation" picture, but I thought it would be appreciated here nontheless...

p.s. I've got some more large scale NYY team pics to add to the "pre-renov." thread (1937 & 1939). I'll try to add them in a little while.

Cheers! ~B
                        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Looks more like two fugitives on the run! baseball_grin.gif Great pic.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                          Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                            Looks more like two fugitives on the run! [ATTACH]36278[/ATTACH] Great pic.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Looks more like two fugitives on the run!

Hahaha....you know, I thought that of the picture as well.
                              I wish there was a picture of their "bar". I'm betting it was pretty extensive.
                              Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• where exactly did you get that pic? It looks like a personal picture.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X