Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

    I'm writing a book about the renovation of Yankee Stadium from 1973-1975. I do have quite a bit of information, but am looking for more. Does anyone know what happened to the debris from the Stadium, such as the cement, dirt and sod from the field, metal, seats, lights, etc.? If anyone knows someone who worked on the renovation in any capacity and would like to send their story to me, I'd be very grateful to include it. I took about 200 photos of the renovation as it progressed. Any information or stories would be very gratefully accepted. Thank you.

  • #2
    Yankee Stadium Renovation 1973-1975

    I look forward to your book. Maybe you can answer a question. Many believe the frieze (facade) was copper. I know I read somewhere that was not the case when it was removed during the renovation. It was supposedly "turned metal" and was sent off as scrap metal. Could you shed some light on this question? Without giving your book away, could you post a sample of some of the pictures you have? I don't find many when I search online.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TJH1923
      I look forward to your book. Maybe you can answer a question. Many believe the frieze (facade) was copper. I know I read somewhere that was not the case when it was removed during the renovation. It was supposedly "turned metal" and was sent off as scrap metal. Could you shed some light on this question? Without giving your book away, could you post a sample of some of the pictures you have? I don't find many when I search online.
      I went on a tour of Yankee Stadium the year that beam fell on the seat before the game. My dad and my uncle were supposed to go to that game the day the beam fell. Anyway, the guy who gave the tour said they were gonna use it (the facade or whatever it's called) on the renovated stadium, but they realized it wasn't the material they thought it was, so they took it away and "put it into storage". I don't know what that means, but I honestly think it's still around, and they should use it on the new stadium if it's still around somewhere.

      Oh yeah, and if you have pictures of the renovation, please post them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yankee Stadium Renovation Photos 1973-1975

        Dear jimmyjimjimz,
        I scanned some Yankee Stadium renovation photos from 1973-1975 on my computer. I'm really not sure how to scan them to Baseball Fever. If you'd like me to send the scanned photos to you, e-mail me at
        [email protected] I can then send them to you. If you'd like to put them on Baseball Fever, that would be fine.

        Sincerely,
        Mike Wagner

        Comment


        • #5
          Dear TJH 1923,
          If you e-mail me at [email protected] then I can send you some
          renovation photos. I'm not sure how to do so on Baseball Fever. From what I've ascertained, the facade was made of a tin alloy. I'm still working on it.

          Sincerely,
          Mike Wagner

          Comment


          • #6
            Just saw this on ebay.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-NY-YANK...QQcmdZViewItem

            Looks like it's real, but the description is off. I saw a similar letter "S" a few months back. The measurements match up with the blueprints that are out there and if you look closely at pictures, it looks like the same lettering.

            But in this guy's description, he's shows the front of the stadium in the later years, once the Longines clock went up over gate 4. This letter is probably either from gate 2 or gate 6.

            Anyone with any info on the history of the Longines clock or the large "YANKEE STADIUM" lettering that went up in the 60's?

            Also, please post any and all shots of the renovation. Good renovation shots are few and far between.

            Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Mike,

              If you try and get ahold of Tony Morante he would probably be able to give you a wealth of information on any subject you are interested in knowing about. He is the head tour guide at Yankee Stadium and he probably knows more about the stadium than anyone around.

              As for the YANKEE STADIUM lettering that humg over the Stadium from the late 50's on I read somewhere that it was preserved and modified to be used on the current stadium after the renovation as the lighted blue letters that are there today. This would apprear to be true because they are the same font and if you look at the lettering very closely it is pretty worn (see below).

              The letter on ebay might be the real thing, but I would think that the letters would have been removed in the mid 50's when the Longines clock went up. Also, in all the pictures I have seen of the lettering it didn't look like it had a copper patina to it. I'll do some checking though.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mike Wagner
                Dear jimmyjimjimz,
                I scanned some Yankee Stadium renovation photos from 1973-1975 on my computer. I'm really not sure how to scan them to Baseball Fever. If you'd like me to send the scanned photos to you, e-mail me at
                [email protected] I can then send them to you. If you'd like to put them on Baseball Fever, that would be fine.

                Sincerely,
                Mike Wagner
                OK. What you have to do is go to photobucket.com, open a free account, upload the pictures to photobucket, and either post the photobucket links or click the picture of the mountain on the reply screen, put the link into where it says to put it in, and the picture comes up on your post. I'll definately E-Mail you for the pictures and help you post them if you want, but just to let you know, that's what you do. My E-Mail address is [email protected] just to let you know, so you don't think it's junk mail or anything.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RichardLillard1
                  Mike,

                  If you try and get ahold of Tony Morante he would probably be able to give you a wealth of information on any subject you are interested in knowing about. He is the head tour guide at Yankee Stadium and he probably knows more about the stadium than anyone around.

                  As for the YANKEE STADIUM lettering that humg over the Stadium from the late 50's on I read somewhere that it was preserved and modified to be used on the current stadium after the renovation as the lighted blue letters that are there today. This would apprear to be true because they are the same font and if you look at the lettering very closely it is pretty worn (see below).

                  The letter on ebay might be the real thing, but I would think that the letters would have been removed in the mid 50's when the Longines clock went up. Also, in all the pictures I have seen of the lettering it didn't look like it had a copper patina to it. I'll do some checking though.



                  Yeah, that's the guy who gave me the tour I think.

                  I always thought they saved and used that Yankee Stadium sign on the renovated stadium.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tony Morante

                    Dear Richard,
                    Thank you for the lead. However, I've e-mailed him two separate times and never did get a response. I've read the facade in the current Yankee Stadium over the scoreboard is made of cement, concrete, plastic, or tin.
                    Any idea what it is made of?
                    -Mike

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well in the photos I have of it it looks like it could be a fiberglass frieze but I don't think that would have been practical enough to withstand years of abuse from the elements.

                      However if could be concrete with fibreglass over it. In any case the support beams that keep it upright are minimal by comparison to what the original Frieze had.

                      I've never actually spoke with Tony Morante or had any contact information for him I do know he is a very busy guy so if he doesn't get back to you right away that could have something to do with it. If it has been a very long while since you talked to him you could probably call the Yankees office in Yankee Stadium and request to speak with him or leave a message that he contact you. From there you could probably express your desire to speak with him pertaining to your book and you might get further than emailing him.

                      Below is a couple pictures that I have that show the exterior back side of the frieze really well. It looks in one of the pictures like there could be some grey concrete near the top, but I'm not certain. On the other hand it also looks like it could be a hollow tin or steel structure to keep the weight down.

                      These pictures will probably be scaled down so let me know if you'd like the full size ones emailed to you.




                      Richard

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        These are great pictures, Richard. I guess I'll try calling Tony Morante on the phone. Thank you for your time and effort.
                        -Mike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For those who may be interested, the earliest date I've found with regard to the Yankees first being referred to as "Yankees" is April 26, 1904, in the Sandusky Evening Star, Ohio, newspaper.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            YS facade

                            Xxxxxxxxxx
                            Last edited by elmer; 06-03-2008, 04:36 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As you may or may not already know, many of the seats were sold through a chain store called E.J Korvettes in the NY area. They were part of a give away sponsored by Winston Cigarettes.

                              My Brother and I both have a stadium seat that we obtained this way.

                              We attended the last game in 73.... My brother grabbed some outfield sod and we planted it in our backyard were it grew (and may still grow) till our family moved out of that home in the late 90's.
                              cong

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X