Palace Of The Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palace Of The Fans

does anybody know how this old-time cincy reds stadium got such a ludicrous name?
    Lakewood Blueclaws From my home town Lakewood,nj
    are the SAL champs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know how that name came up, but it's a great name. That's what I wish the Pirates stadium would've been named if PNC didn't pony up the $$ to put their name on the park...after all, we paid for it.
    LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

No idea, must have been a ludacris man.
      “A lot of people said I could be a good player. I just wanted the opportunity to show it. I just let it happen.”

Albert Pujols

2006 Champions of the World

Life Untill Corked
      http://z6.invisionfree.com/Life_Untill_Corked/

Image Hosted by Free image hosting

Comment

Palace of the Fans

I think that it was named this because it was a steel and concrete facility. Reds' owner John Brush intended the park as a monument to his "making it in the big city".

Comment

I think it's a wonderfull name. Especially compared to American Airlines Stadium and the like.

Comment

I just sent an e-mail to the Reds Hall of Fame regarding the subject. Hopefully, I will get an answer soon.
            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Very interesting name for a ballpark. That's even ironic nowadays, since MLB is looking out for nobody but the owners...palaces of the owners?

That wraps around what I've been telling you all in the past: originality, character, overall difference from the core of the place. Sadly, giving an MLB ballpark a true name will never happen again because of the owners.
              My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Palace Of The Fans

Can anyone tell me what the full dimensions for the old Cincinnati Reds stadium Palace of the Fans were?
                My dream ballpark dimensions
                LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                Location....San Diego

Comment

You know, I wish I had that information, but sadly I don't. I'd really like to know what field dimmensions this ballpark had, too. The whole thing.
                  My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

I know that it was 450 feet to right field.. Which is the deepest right (or left) field distance of any park in history. But what about the rest of the park? Were the other dimensions equally as large? Or was it much shorter in left? If the rest of the dimensions were similar would this not make this the largest ballpark in history? I'm also curious as to how high the walls were? Does this information not exist?
                    My dream ballpark dimensions
                    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                    Location....San Diego

Comment

Green Cathedrals, usually the bible for such things..... only lists the following.

Occupant - NL Cincinnat Reds from April 17, 1902 to October 6, 1911.

Dimensions - Right Field 450.

The book includes a photo of the Polic Force on Parade in some type of ceremony, perhaps on an opening day or some other special game.

But.......

I found this photo, which has the field dimensions superimposed on it. It does not look like the fence was as deep as the 450 to right, anywhere else in the ballpark.
                      Attached Files
                      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

and the P of the F in 1912
                        Attached Files
                        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Wow, pity the poor RF who have to guard all that territory. Of course Lefties would see a lot of HR balls turn into outs. Still one of the best names for a ballpark ever.
                          LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan
                            and the P of the F in 1912
                            I think that may be Crosley Field.

Comment

Could be.... at closer glance, it does say "new" ballpark, in the logo, I think.

Good catch.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X