Joker Marchant Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joker Marchant Stadium

Would like information on Joker Marchant, who the statium is named for.

From The Tigers Website:

Tiger Town is the Spring Training headquarters for the Detroit Tigers and the regular season home of its minor league farm team in the Class A Florida State League, The Lakeland Tigers.

Tiger Town is owned and operated by the City of Lakeland. The City of Lakeland's Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for maintaining the facilities.

Named in honor of the late Joker Marchant, Lakeland's former parks and recreation director, Joker Marchant Stadium was used by the Detroit Tigers for Spring Training for the first time in 1966 at which time it contained seating for 4,900 spectators. Expansion projects undertaken in the early 1970's and the addition of new grandstands along the left field foul line in 1988 brought the stadium capacity to its current capacity of 7,100 seats.

The Detroit Tigers began coming to Lakeland for Spring Training in 1934 and have been coming back each year ever since. The 70 year relationship between the Detroit Tigers and the City of Lakeland is the longest lasting relationship between a Major League baseball team and a Spring Training host city.
    I think Marchant was once the groundskeeper and worked his way up to Parks and Recreation Director in Lakeland, but am not 100% sure about that.
    Last edited by 2Chance; 03-05-2007, 12:43 PM.
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X