• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Stadium Preservation

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pb...5/SUB/70302074

this might save at least part of it.

On the surface, it seems brilliant!

(which of course means that the mucky-mucks won't want anything to do with it, but I digress....)

Thanks for sharing this article, dgk. And if I haven't mentioned it, welcome to the Fever!
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by 2Chance
      On the surface, it seems brilliant!

(which of course means that the mucky-mucks won't want anything to do with it, but I digress....)

Thanks for sharing this article, dgk. And if I haven't mentioned it, welcome to the Fever!
      Well everyone hear that lives in the detroit area knows how bad that the city of detroit wants this stadium gone.
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Question concerning Tiger Stadium

I heard that Tiger Stadium might be open to the public one last time. The date mentioned was opening day 2007. Can anyone comment?

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Originally posted by hammer44
          I heard that Tiger Stadium might be open to the public one last time. The date mentioned was opening day 2007. Can anyone comment?
          The city of detroit has said that they will not be letting anyone inside tiger stadium.as i have said before the city of detroit cant wait to tear down this stadium because of it being from detroits old era.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
            The city of detroit has said that they will not be letting anyone inside tiger stadium.as i have said before the city of detroit cant wait to tear down this stadium because of it being from detroits old era.
            Well Donald,

I must at least give you some credit...not running to the burbs (Troy, Novi, Bloomfield, etc.) like the rest of the white folks in Mo-town. I enjoyed my days at the corner ( went to the last opening day game at Tiger and still have a sign from Nemo's). It will be somewhat sad to see the old lady go, but I do like the new stadiums. Still if losing the old girl means that Detroit gets revitalized...if it happens...I think it's a fair trade off.

Not an a-hole.

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Well everyone checkout todays detroit free press section E page 1 for the excuses that the city of detroit is using to prevent any of the stadium to be saved.and you people out there wonder why i hate the city of detroit so much.

Comment

City Of Detroit

Originally posted by dgk
                http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pb...5/SUB/70302074

this might save at least part of it.
                Well everyone the detroit city council has balked at this proposed idea because of it being from a corktown council that is made up of many corktown residents who are white.Now before any of this forums moderators decide to edit this post i suggest everyone to read Todays Detroit News on Page 8A in the editorial section. the full article is there for everyone to read it.Then after people finally read this article in todays detroit news people here will realize just why i feel the way i do about the city of detroit. the city cant wait to tear down tiger stadium. For people who live outside of the detroit area the detroit news is on line for people to read this.

Comment

That is too bad that the current "powers that be" in the City of Detroit can't see fit to:

SAVE TIGER STADIUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1
                    That is too bad that the current "powers that be" in the City of Detroit can't see fit to:

SAVE TIGER STADIUM!
                    It goes back longer than that.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Tiger Stadium Preservation

As I just posted in the Tiger Stadium demolition thread, demolition work at Tiger Stadium is essentially complete. It is now time to focus entirely on the preservation of the remaining portion of the Stadium--the 1923 Navin Field configuration--and the historic field.

With that in mind, the latest interview conducted by Doug Sokolowski with Gary Gillette, Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Board Member, from Thursday, can be found here:

http://www.preservetigerstadium.com/news.htm
                      Jeff

Comment

OTSC Fundraiser Events

Rod Nelson, staffer with the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, released the following regarding upcoming fundraiser events in the Detroit area. I apologize for the formatting issue.

__________________________________________________ ___________
                        Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy announces fundraiser series

DETROIT – The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is announcing a series of fundraising events in support of their mission to preserve, restore and revitalize the beloved Michigan & Trumbull ballpark venue that was home to the National Pastime from 1896 to 1999. The project to re-develop Tiger Stadium is an unprecedented opportunity for historic preservation and will enable Detroit to become a destination for baseball fans from across the country.

Now that the City of Detroit has completed the demolition phase of the project, leaving intact the original Navin Field grandstand and playing grounds, the Conservancy seeks public support to help provide for the security of the site and other pre-development costs. To date, over $27,000 has been raised in online contributions toward the goal of reaching $69,000 in donations by mid-October.

Long term funding for the $15M project is ongoing, with an expected $4M in federal appropriations earmarked for urban development and community outreach in Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood. Additionally, $5M in pledges in the form of historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits is targeted while the balance is sought in community grants from regional philanthropic foundations and investments from commercial developers.

If successful, the plan will provide for restoration of the historic playing grounds for use by the youth of Michigan for generations to come. Preservation of the Navin Field configuration will include the original grandstand built in 1912 and the upper deck added in 1923, plus the dugouts, clubhouses and broadcast booth. The final design calls for a variety of purposes, such as a baseball heritage center and first-class amateur baseball facility with seating capacity for over 5000.

This series of events gives Tigers fans from Southeast Michigan an opportunity to meet with fellow ballpark enthusiasts and get a status report from a member of the OTSC board. Below are the dates:

DAY DATE TIME VENUE ENT SUGGESTED DONATION
                        Sat Sept 20 8:30pm Cadieux Café (Detroit – Eastside) * $10/ea

Fri Sept 26 8:30pm Nemo's (Detroit – Corktown) * $10/ea

Sun Sept 28 4:00pm Lefty's Lounge (Detroit – Midtown) $15/ea or $25/couple

Wed Oct 1 6:00pm Fraternal Order of Eagles (Clarkston MI)#/+ $30/ea or $50/couple

Thur Oct 9 6:30pm Baile Corcaigh (Detroit – Corktown) #/+ $15/ea or $25/couple

Sun Oct 12 4:00pm Gaelic League (Detroit – Corktown) */+ $15/ea or $25/couple

The series of fundraisers will also feature a premier golf outing. Six foursomes will partake in a rare opportunity to enjoy the autumn splendor on one of Michigan's most prestigious courses. An elegant cocktail party and dining experience will follow a day on the links, with a silent auction benefiting the Tiger Stadium Conservancy cause. Capacity is limited, so reservations are required.

Please contact [email protected] ASAP to book your tee time and/or dinner reservation.

Sat Oct 11 10:00am 18 Holes of Championship Golf $200/ea or $750/foursome

Sat Oct 11 5:00pm Drinks & Dinner + Silent Auction $100/ea

Entertainment will be provided by:

* The Shy of Detroit, performing their YouTube hit "Tribute to Tiger Stadium"

# Ben Hassenger, aka The Baseball Baladeer of Lansing, singing The Corner & The Voice of Summer

+ DISH Network providing satellite TV and large screen HDTV for viewing postseason baseball

On display at the events will be one or both of two unique creations by longtime enthusiasts of the ballpark: a remarkable Tiger Stadium replica crafted by Dennis Sova, of Sheboygan WI and/or a colorful Navin Field model built entirely from Legos by David Kohrman, of forgottendetroit.com.

Supporters of the OTSC are also asked to contribute items to be made available in silent auction.

Interested parties are encouraged to visit the OTSC Web site: http://www.SaveTigerStadium.org, or send tax-deductible contributions to Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, PO Box 141193, Detroit, MI 48214.

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is a Michigan-based 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.

###

P.O. Box 141193 s Detroit, MI 48207 s 313.784.9306 s http://www.savetigerstadium.org/
                        Jeff

Comment

They really need to get some former and current Tiger players involved. Maybe host baseball card shows with a series of Tiger players who are willing to donate sales from autographs to preserve the stadium. I bet even non-Tiger players and hall of famers would be willing to donate their time. Maybe even a political style fundraiser at (for example) $500 a plate to have dinner with Tiger Hall of Famers, Ernie Harwell or any non-Tigers willing to donate their time. I'm sure Ernie Harwell has connections to get those people involved. Possibly even home parties organized to have small groups have dinner with Ernie Harwell or other baseball greats at the price of a large contribution. I'm sure there are lots of people willing to pay $500 or $1000 to have dinner with Ernie Harwell, Alan Trammel, Lou Whitaker, and Al Kaline. Perhaps a dinner at a hall for $1000 a head with any 84 Tigers willing to donate their time. The possibilities are endless.
                          Last edited by doctor_gogol; 09-20-2008, 09:38 AM.
                          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Doc,

Good points/suggestions. I'm going to take the liberty of forwarding this on to Rod Nelson, OTSC staffer.

I believe the OTSC has been in touch with at least some former players. Hopefully we will be hearing some good things along that front in the near term.

However, the availability of Ernie, despite his being on the OTSC board, appears to be limited, at least to some degree.
                            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Beech Cricker View Post
                              Doc,

Good points/suggestions. I'm going to take the liberty of forwarding this on to Rod Nelson, OTSC staffer.

Lets just say; feel free to forward anything I post here to the conservancy. Although I already sent my message along to them.
                              Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X