Citi Field Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JP1968 View Post
    The one thing that I hope does not carry over to Citi Field is that damn "Lazy Mary" song during the 7th inning stretch!! That one drives me nuts!!
    Dude... Certain corny things HAVE to stay, or it's just not a Mets game, anymore. This is one of them.
    Ya Gotta Believe!

Yes, I'm a Flyers and Eagles fan, too.

Comment

• Here's some great news .....NOT

I found this on a Minneapolis web site.....

The Twins today will announce they have contracted with Daktronics for a high-definition state-of-art video scoreboard, at a cost of nearly $9 million, for their Target Field.

The Kansas City Royals have the biggest scoreboard in major league baseball; the Twins' scoreboard, which will be assembled in Redwood Falls, Minn., and Brookings, S.D., will be the fourth largest in baseball. The Twins' board will be larger than that of the New York Mets' new Citi Field and just a tad smaller than the board going into the new Yankee Stadium.

Why are we not getting a bigger scoreboard than the Twins????

Comment

• Will citi field be a bandbox?

Well i use andrew clem site and determine citi field will be a bandbox
        from LF corner 335 untill the 379 marker(Big door opening in Left center).
        So my the dimensions are 335 350 379 compare to shea 338 358 371
        If you noticed to the right of the foul pole there are a couple rows of seats.
        I think that is an area where the mets can push the fences back a couple of feet.
        http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/CitiField.html
        RF will be easy for hitters at the 330 markers untill the 383 marker or the slanted tip of a triangle bend on the bullpen wall.
        From the pics Citi field looks like a great hitters ballpark.
        Factors like wind and temperture are unknown
        The mets should acquire sinker ball pitchers.
        Just my opinion. I could be dead wrong but im just going off the pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by shbmets View Post
          i found this on a minneapolis web site.....

The twins today will announce they have contracted with daktronics for a high-definition state-of-art video scoreboard, at a cost of nearly $9 million, for their target field.

The kansas city royals have the biggest scoreboard in major league baseball; the twins' scoreboard, which will be assembled in redwood falls, minn., and brookings, s.d., will be the fourth largest in baseball. the twins' board will be larger than that of the new york mets' new citi field and just a tad smaller than the board going into the new yankee stadium.

why are we not getting a bigger scoreboard than the twins????

(INSERT Freddie Coupons joke HERE)

Comment

• Originally posted by peterrod16 View Post
            ... the dimensions are 335 350 379 compare to shea 338 358 371
            I think that is an area where the mets can push the fences back a couple of feet....
            I think we can forget about ever moving the fences out at CF. Unlike Shea, where the fences were just that- fences-, the outfield walls at CF are cast concrete and part of the structure of the outfield stands.

On another topic, the Mets website now says "Construction of the field drainage system is underway; the grass for the field is currently growing in southern New Jersey and is scheduled to be put down in late October". This is a change. Earlier indications were that the grass was being grown on Long Island.
            First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
              I think we can forget about ever moving the fences out at CF. Unlike Shea, where the fences were just that- fences-, the outfield walls at CF are cast concrete and part of the structure of the outfield stands.

On another topic, the Mets website now says "Construction of the field drainage system is underway; the grass for the field is currently growing in southern New Jersey and is scheduled to be put down in late October". This is a change. Earlier indications were that the grass was being grown on Long Island.
              So my first thought on the grass was correct

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...801190332.html

Tuckahoe ships its Kentucky bluegrass in refrigerated trucks to football stadiums in Green Bay and Cleveland, and to sports teams closer to home, including the Philadelphia Phillies and the Washington Nationals. It is growing grass now for the New York Mets' new stadium, which opens in 2009.

Comment

I think that is an area where the mets can push the fences back a couple of feet.
                RF will be easy for hitters at the 330 markers untill the 383 marker or the slanted tip of a triangle bend on the bullpen wall.

That Clem site is clearly wrong in it's layout of left field at Citi. Notice how it shows the left field wall going in a straight line from the foul pole towards the 379 mark.

Now look at the actual photo of Citi and it is plain as day that the wall goes back at one angle from the foul pole to straight away left and then uses a different angle.

So any comparisons to Shea using that chart are void as the diagram is not correct.

Comment

• I had already posted this in the citifield seating/ticket pricing thread but I'll probably get more feedback here...:

Back on the topic of stairway obstructions, I've come to the realization that the stairway may present more of an obstruction than the Mets have lead me to believe. I've been assured by my old rep and my new one that I will only be obstructed from the left field corner. But the problem to me is that my idea of obstruction differs from theirs. I consider having to look through plexiglass and railings on the stair landings to be an obstruction, even though it may not completely remove the action from my field of vision.
                  I've attached a screen shot from the Mets 3d viewer. Now we all know that you can't get a view from the actual seats because the viewer only gives you views from the center of the section but if you look at the image below I've encircled my seats (17, 18, 19 and 20) so you can get a idea of the view from those seats in relation to the stairway in front of sections 524 & 525.

It looks to me like ALL of left field and MOST of centerfield will be viewed "through" the landing plexi from my seats which doesn't make me happy. I was so excited to get seats in row 1 of 524 but this has dampered my enthusiasm. I'd like to hear what you guys think. Do you agree with what I'm saying? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mex4Prez View Post
                    That Clem site is clearly wrong in it's layout of left field at Citi. Notice how it shows the left field wall going in a straight line from the foul pole towards the 379 mark.

Now look at the actual photo of Citi and it is plain as day that the wall goes back at one angle from the foul pole to straight away left and then uses a different angle.

So any comparisons to Shea using that chart are void as the diagram is not correct.
                    I'm glad you took the time to do this because I didn't want to go through the hassle.

However, I do think they may have to push back the wall down the line after the first season. You can even see from those pics how (relatively) easy it will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by NunuMet View Post

Your probably not from Queens, or Brooklyn, or Staten Island, or the Bronx for that matter ... Maybe you are ... Either way ... I can totally understand your feelings about it .... Personally, I enjoy it ... but only cuz I can sorta relate to the cheezy Italian jingle it is ... whenever I hear it played at the stadium I always think to myself how unique it is and prolly wouldn't fit anywhere else in MLB.

P.S. - I miss the Curly Shuffle too .... Nyuck Nyuck .... LOL

Agreed....

Comment

Everyone has their own opinion on this, and we won't really know until August, but.....

If the Shea was a symetrical park and the LF power alley at Citi is 8ft deeper (and the LF corner only 3ft shallower), doesn't that mean that Citi will actually be deeper for most of LF? I mean, if someone was walking from the LF foulpole at Citi toward the power alley, Shea's LF starts out deeper right at the pole (again, by 3ft) but at some point (probably not far from the foul pole) the angle of Citi's LF wall pushes it deeper than Shea's.....no?

I also think you're completely discounting the wall itself, which is a good 7-8ft higher than the Shea wall. I'm no mathmatician, but it would seem that an additional 7-8ft in height would effectively push the wall out at least another 5ft with regards to the ease of hitting HR's (in other words, even at the same distance it'll be harder to hit a HR at Citi).

Regarding the wind....this is where it gets tricky. A lot of people thought the construction of Citi would effectively "enclose" Shea (with Citi's structure blocking the wind). They were wrong, wind was still able to funnel-in thru the narrow gap between the parks. It's possible wind will be able to flow in off the water thru the gap between the scoreboard and the LF stands and swirl around the ballpark. CBP has wind that flows into the park from the open concourse behind the RF baseline....that won't happen here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mex4Prez View Post

Agreed....the angle of the LF wall is clearly off in that diagram.

In reality, the wall gets deeper at a very sharp angle for about 10-15ft (moving away from the pole) and then changes to a "milder" angle from there out to the power alley at 379.

IMO, Shea's LF is only slightly deeper, right at the very corner.
                          Last edited by Kooos; 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Is islandx getting into Citi again today? Taking Prom shots?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kooos View Post
                              Agreed....the angle of the LF wall is clearly off in that diagram.

In reality, the wall gets deeper at a very sharp angle for about 10-15ft (moving away from the pole) and then changes to a "milder" angle from there out to the power alley at 379.

IMO, Shea's LF is only slightly deeper, right at the very corner.
                              I agree with this. Using simple math, it would seem that Citi will be in the 357-362 range in the area between the pole and the alley. Deeper than Shea, but also combine that with a 14 foot wall and a homerun in the first row of Citi Field would almost certainly be a homerun at Shea based on distance and trajectory. That's my two cents atleast.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                                I kinda like it. Its very surrealistic.

There is a site for stuff like that:

http://www.photoshopdisasters.com
                                Instead of an apple how about Bloombergs head come out.
                                Last edited by bdhact1; 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X