No announcement yet.

Shea Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember about 1981-1982 as when they started to take down the panels. Since the cabling (which is all that remains) was practically invisible until you were very close to the ballpark, it was always fascinating to me how they "floated" in midair as you rode past on the 7-train.

When they did remove them, they were piled in random stacks in the RF ground-level concourse leading toward the Mets bullpen.

Here is a shot of the exterior from the 60's. (Scanned from the book, "Historical Ballparks" by John Pastier, c. 2006 Chartwell Books). For classic car enthusiasts, note the blur at the center of the photo.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Attached Files
    Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 06-11-2007, 03:29 AM.

Comment

When Shea was built, I remember that it corresponded very well to the aesthetics of the 1964-5 World's Fair. Those blue and orange panels, which look bizarre to us now, fit in with the focus on bright colors and unexpected shapes that was such an important part of early to mid '60s design. One of the best and most "futuristic" features of Shea stadium were the beautiful, white, soaring bus shelters that were like those of the rest of the fair. They're still there, though unused and crumbling, over by the bay, towards LaGuardia, near where people now have to park, if you walk west under the Expressway. They are pretty much all that is left of the original feeling of Shea as part of what the Fair called the "City of Tomorrow." Does anybody have pictures of those?
      sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
      Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
      Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
        Awsome pic those blue and orange steele plates gave early day shea its own uniuqe look C60

Comment

Originally posted by metsfanbook.com View Post
          When Shea was built, I remember that it corresponded very well to the aesthetics of the 1964-5 World's Fair. Those blue and orange panels, which look bizarre to us now, fit in with the focus on bright colors and unexpected shapes that was such an important part of early to mid '60s design. One of the best and most "futuristic" features of Shea stadium were the beautiful, white, soaring bus shelters that were like those of the rest of the fair. They're still there, though unused and crumbling, over by the bay, towards LaGuardia, near where people now have to park, if you walk west under the Expressway. They are pretty much all that is left of the original feeling of Shea as part of what the Fair called the "City of Tomorrow." Does anybody have pictures of those?
          Check out http://www.nywf64.com/, an online guide to the 1964 - 1965 World's Fair. It includes this panoramic photo of the fair. Big Shea can be seen in the upper right portion.
          Attached Files
          "Chef Bill"
          Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

You know, even though I'm an Aussie who's never even been to any of the so-called 'Cookie Cutter" stadiums, let alone a MLB game (a situation I'm going to rectify one day), I often wonder what Shea would have been like had the circular stands been completed all around like Three Rivers or Busch? A 90,000 seat stadium which would have been perfect for both baseball and the NFL. Well, perfect I guess 30-odd years ago.

90,000 screaming Mets or Jets fans in a World Series match or an NFL Playoff game would have been awesome to see I think.

Comment

The thing about ultra large stadiums is they are great for post-season play in creating an intimidating atmosphere. On the flip side, during the regular season they feel cavernous. Cleveland Municipal Stadium and Dolphins Stadium immediately come to mind.

Having been to Dolphins Stadium for both regular season and post season games, the difference between the two experiences is like night and day. Dolphins Stadium was insane during 2003, let me tell you.

Comment

These are all some pretty cool pictures of Shea. I can never seem to find any good images of the stadium for football. Does anyone have any good pictures from a Jets game. Preferably with Broadway Joe or something. Even though I am a Patriots fan, I think the Jet's true home is in Queens.

Comment

It is hard to find good pics of the Jets at Shea. Here are two that have been floating around the 'net for quite some time...
                  Attached Files
                  "Chef Bill"
                  Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Jets at Shea

Three more good ones found.

I think anyone who was there would agree that Shea Stadium was usually a very windy, cold, miserable place to watch football. You can see from the wide shot of the stadium that the majority of the seats were in the end zone, and it always seemed that most of the action was way down at the other end of the field!

Joe Namath on Knee and 1968 Yearbook are from current eBay listings.
                    Attached Files
                    "Chef Bill"
                    Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Lest We Forget...

The Bronx Bombers also called Shea Stadium home in 1974 and 1975 during the renovation of Yankee Stadium. Shea is featured on the cover of the 1975 Yankee scorebook magazine.
                      Attached Files
                      "Chef Bill"
                      Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

GREAT amateur footage here of a brand new Shea Stadium at a Mets-Giants game in 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvdx82Qx564

Comment

WOW!!!! Nothing else to say - what a treat! The stadium actually appears to have had a cool, "metropolitan" look back then. You could've built a second Levittown between the fences beyond the outfield! Love the soft glow of the then new lighting all around the park and grounds. McCovey warming up, Casey watching it all, Amazin'!!

One thing I never knew was that the Mets lineup was posted on the inner LEFT side of the massive scoreboard in the beginning (and how many years beyond?); it's been on the RIGHT as far back as I can remember! Proof is at the 1:50 mark on the film - the lineup shown is certainly not the Giants (Say Hey never wore #9 in CF or anywhere else!) so the Mets lineup here is from September 2, 1964, with HOF Juan Marichal shutting out the Mets with a 9K, 4H gem, 4-0. Mays/McCovey/Cepeda all hitless. Check out http://www.ultimatemets.com/gamedetail.php?gameno=456 for the box.

In a word, WOW!

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
                          Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Back on topic: some more old Pics and cool website
                            http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a photo of Shea from Sunday, August 21, 1977 taken from The Sporting News "Take Me Out to the Ball Park", the original 1983 edition.

Thanks to retrosheet.org, I've been able to identify the date of several of the pictures that I have seen in books.

This is Tom Seaver's first game back in New York as a Cincinnati Red, which drew 46,265. Seaver himself is at bat in the Top of the 5th against Koosman. Seaver will double to RF and then be brought home by Pete Rose who is in the On Deck Circle.

Resolution isn't that good on the scan as the original book.
                              Attached Files
                              Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

SFL-
                                You have no idea how much that picture helps me. I've been trying to find decent quality images of Shea from the mid-70s for a while, and there is virtually nothing. Eventually I'll get around to doing a '78 version of Shea for MVP '05, and it's a heck of lot easier when you know what it actually looked like.
                                http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X