No announcement yet.

Shea Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video of Shea construction: http://www.loge13.com/2007/09/shea_s...ction_1963.php

Video of Shea and the 69 World Series: http://www.loge13.com/2007/09/big_sh...9_world_se.php

Comment

Those videos, especially the Shea Stadium construction footage, is the kind of stuff that causes ballpark fans to... er... have... um... "happy endings..." :o
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

That's the "old" Shea Stadium? It looks exactly like the current stadium, except there's no TV screen, the scoreboard looks different, the seats are all the same color and there's no bleachers.

Comment

Okay, guys, here's a real sweet '64 (or '65?) Worlds Fair video from archive.org. Sweeping Shea views about halfway in, during a game - definitely not a sellout though! Also odd that there are fans in the upper reserved, but the upper boxes are mysteriously vacant.

Hi res -
          http://www.archive.org/stream/tmp_19...4Worl_edit.mp4

Lower res, embedded in web page, can download file here to see it larger too -
          http://www.archive.org/details/tmp_1964Worl
          Last edited by alpineinc; 09-22-2007, 06:26 PM.
          Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
            That's the "old" Shea Stadium? It looks exactly like the current stadium, except there's no TV screen, the scoreboard looks different, the seats are all the same color and there's no bleachers.
            Huh? There has only been one Shea Stadium.

Comment

Heres more really nice interior and exterior Shea footage from a Beatles documentary:

http://www.loge13.com/2007/08/more_b...a_42_years.php

Comment

This thread title refers to the age of the photos of the one and only Shea, not a different stadium, although the look has changed a great deal, represented by the new Shea logo (Gary's avatar in this thread and others).
                Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Man that brought me back. I lived in Flushing from 73 till 86 off Francis Lewis Blvd and my friends and I would bike to Shea and watch the games. My neighbor was a ticket taker and would let us in (plenty of open seats) and we would sit at the top and watch baseball all summer!

I totally forgot about the floating panels. We would then bike to the meadows and hang by the globe or the spaceship graveyard (as we called it) till the street lights started to warm up...

NY in my youth how I miss [email protected]
                  Always collecting Yankees...
                  Especially: Jeter, Posada, Munson, Melky Cabrera, Mattingly

Check out:
                  Waiting For The Mail Man: Our TTM Site
                  My Baseball Card Site

Good Traders : Dalkowski110, dmbfan, Freakazoid1014, actually I have had too many good trades to list everyone...

Comment

why were there no seats on the field at those Beatles concerts? I went to a Metallica concert at Giants Stadium, and there were people on the field. There weren't any seats, but there were billions of people. And they had this thing on top of the field to cover it. GOD I wish I was down there instead of in the nosebleed seats.

Comment

why were there no seats on the field at those Beatles concerts? I went to a Metallica concert at Giants Stadium, and there were people on the field. There weren't any seats, but there were billions of people. And they had this thing on top of the field to cover it. GOD I wish I was down there instead of in the nosebleed seats.
                      Well, there's no natural grass at Giants Stadium to mess up.

Though I did see pictures of Dave Matthews playing at Fenway and there were fans on the field, with the field being covered up. Might have been after the season ended, though.

Comment

Originally posted by nymfan9 View Post
                        Well, there's no natural grass at Giants Stadium to mess up.

Though I did see pictures of Dave Matthews playing at Fenway and there were fans on the field, with the field being covered up. Might have been after the season ended, though.
                        I thought they put natural grass down at Giants Stadium in like 1999 or something

Comment

This was the first time a concert had been held at a baseball stadium, and there was no precedent to go on.

Also, it was the Beatles, so I'm guessing it was decided it would be easier for crowd control to keep the fans in fixed seating.

There were seats on the field for Bruce Springsteen's Shea Stadium concerts, October 2003... here's an image from the Asbury Park Press website showing the layout of the seats on the field.

It wasn't ideal... all of the seats faced front, so if you were sitting in front of the scoreboard or the picnic bleachers you had to turn your head quite a bit to see the stage or the video screens.

As you can see, the infield area didn't have any seating... the area between the pitcher's mound and home plate were lined with portable toilets. And although you can't tell from this photo, the mound was fenced off.
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by nymfan9 View Post
                            I did see pictures of Dave Matthews playing at Fenway and there were fans on the field, with the field being covered up. Might have been after the season ended, though.
                            Here's a pre-concert photo of the setup at Fenway for Springsteen's September 2003 shows.

Unlike Shea, the infield area at Fenway was fenced off, left open, and "Bruce" was etched into the grass. The scoreboard on the Monster was also customised.

I didn't actually attend any of the Fenway shows, but it seems to me that this layout would make those who were sitting in the fixed Fenway seats feel even further away from the field, because of the constantly empty infield. At least at Shea, people were able to walk around on the infield area.
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

I hate sitting at concerts. I'd rather stand. It's much better if you stand, but just stay away from the mosh pit. I went to see Sum 41 when I was in high school, and my friend Jarrett went into the mosh pit, and he lost a sneaker. That was crazy. I hate going to arena shows too. There's way too many people, and the beer line is so long. I think when Billy Joel played at Yankee Stadium, people were on the field. I had the video of that concert, but the VCR ate the tape. I really hope like Metallica or someone does a show at Yankee Stadium before it closes.

Comment

Frequent lurker, but this is my first post. I love Shea, even though it is old and dated. Here are some old pics....

Beatles 1965 concert pics

Beatles 1966 concert at Shea

Jets vs Broncos 1964 First Jets Home Game

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X