Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alpineinc
    replied
    Saturday, May 31, 1969, and the Giants are in for a weekend set. The Mets enter the game 20-23, in 4th place, already 9 games behind the high-flying Chicago Cubs in the newly christened NL East - 1969 just may be the Northsiders year!

Gary Gentry (3-4) takes the hill against Gaylord Perry (7-4) with 32,178 on hand. Seaver won the opener the night before, with the Mets hoping to make hay on this 8-game homestand before a west coast road trip.

In fact, this homestand was the beginning of the turnaround for the 1969 Mets - despite a 2 run HR from Willie McCovey (283rd career) in the 4th (in the midst of his MVP season), they'd win this game 4-2, led by Ed Charles, who knocked in all 4 runs, including a 3 run HR. Gentry scattered 5 hits through 7 and Tug McGraw pitched the last 2 innings with 4Ks for his first (!) save of the season.

After dropping the first game, the Mets would go on to have a 7-1 homestand, and carry the momentum out to the west coast, winning 11 in a row to move to 29-23. Although only picking up 2 games on the red-hot Cubs (now being 7 back), the tide had turned and they'd hang with the Cubs all summer, setting up their September showdown.

25741755126_3c69fae6ce_k.jpg

25672737571_d6b138d2ba_k.jpg

25646845462_3a08317c2d_k.jpg

25672733141_39fa35c424_k.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SteveJRogers
    replied
    Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
    Ride the Long Island Rail Road - Travel Easy! World's Fair era. Note the blue and orange decor matching Shea's facade

ae7ab2ce01181b7ca8200b59d186de2d.jpg
    So the walls were painted blue and orange when the Shea panels went all blue around 84-85?

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Ride the Long Island Rail Road - Travel Easy! World's Fair era. Note the blue and orange decor matching Shea's facade

That's the littlest mod I've ever seen at far left.

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied

Last edited by alpineinc; 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Originally posted by thebeezer View Post
    George H.W. Bush at Shea, 1971

Was browsing through some old Mets yearbooks and found this pic of U.N. Ambassador George Bush throwing out the first pitch at Shea on Opening Day, 1971. Yes, that is Barbara to his left (and Mayor John Lindsay to his right).
    The photo referred to above (Original post #450 in this thread from 6/9/08).

ghwbushod71.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied

Was browsing through some old Mets yearbooks and found this pic of U.N. Ambassador George Bush throwing out the first pitch at Shea on Opening Day, 1971. Yes, that is Barbara to his left (and Mayor John Lindsay to his right).
    Even more significant than being UN Ambassador, he was minority owner Herbie Walker's nephew.

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Not a single fan in this picture (or the others) came dressed up in a make believe player in uniform. This appears to be the 3rd base mezzanine.

Looking through the stories and facts of each of the ball parks, in the Polo Grounds section they only mention 'subway sereis 1921-1923'. They forgot 1936, 1937,1951?
    I believe the Yankees and Giants were both playing at the Polo Grounds for at least the first two of those World Series. No subway necessary for the 1923 WS either. You could have walked across the bridge.

Leave a comment:

• rodkanehl
    replied

...and both of his hands are in view...

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Not Shea of course but a gem for old Mets fans, Bob Murphy pre-Mets calling a Red Sox game in '59! Just a quick snippet but amazin' nonetheless. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Mezzanine yes. And yeah, no fans in uniform. But I wouldn't want to go to a game in a suit either.
    No cell phones either. In other words times change.

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Mezzanine yes. And yeah, no fans in uniform. But I wouldn't want to go to a game in a suit either.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Great '69 era upper deck shot from today's NY Times.

00xp-ballparks-shea-jumbo.jpg

Nice article on 5 of NYC's classic ballparks: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/s...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    Not a single fan in this picture (or the others) came dressed up in a make believe player in uniform. This appears to be the 3rd base mezzanine.

Looking through the stories and facts of each of the ball parks, in the Polo Grounds section they only mention 'subway sereis 1921-1923'. They forgot 1936, 1937,1951?

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Great '69 era mezzanine shot from today's NY Times.

00xp-ballparks-shea-jumbo.jpg

Nice article on 5 of NYC's classic ballparks: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/s...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    Last edited by alpineinc; 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    In hoping to find JohnCropp's lost poster in the interwebs (above), I stumbled upon something BETTER (sorry John)!
    That is amazing! I love the projector sound accompanying the amazing moving images!

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    In hoping to find JohnCropp's lost poster in the interwebs (above), I stumbled upon something BETTER (sorry John)!

Amazing film footage from the Army/Notre Dame football game at Shea on Saturday, October 9, 1965. The only time Notre Dame played at Shea Stadium. ND won, 17-0. It's short but wonderful. I know it's in football configuration, but its historic importance warrants posting in this dedicated Shea thread. A great blog post from the source here -> http://tomandkatehickeyfamilyhistory...e-at-army.html

Vimeo seems to be buggy here, so here's the link to the video if not playing above:
    https://vimeo.com/172355593

Ticket

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 9.49.36 AM.png

Articles on the game from the Notre Dame newspaper The Voice

Army Game Oct 5.png

Army Game Oct 10.png
    Last edited by alpineinc; 08-13-2017, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    In the late 80's or early 90's, I saw a poster / print of Shea Stadium at a poster / print store (remember those?) at the Milford Post Mall. It was an aerial photo and it appeared that light from the heavens was bursting through the clouds and lighting up Shea. I have not seen that photo before or since and am wondering if anyone else remembers it. If so, please let me know so that I know that I am not crazy.

Instead of the Shea print, I bought one of the illustrated map of the United States featuring all of the MLB ballparks that is depicted below. I'm glad I did, but I really wish that I had saved my allowance and bought both.

MapCarte260_artmap1_large.png
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 08-13-2017, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X