• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid001.jpg

Comment

• I miss those days!

I miss that place!

Comment

• I didn't like Shea; it was a dump that stank of urine. The sight lines were bad. Ticket booth guys tried to rip us off.

But I still have a favorite moment from Shea, albeit from after it came down.

I took my 9 year old son to a game at Citifield in about 2010 or so. Shea was long gone, but the Mets left markers in the new parking lot, ostensibly at the exact locations of the rubber and the bases at Shea. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/3513766033

The two of us are poking around out there looking for the car when we find the spots. I may be an old man, but the kid inside remains. I step in at former home plate, pretending I am Willie Mays or Roberto Clemente or Frank Robinson staring down some hapless Met hurler. My son plays along, toeing the marker and assuming the wind up position and I'm just about to hear the roar of the crowd when my son stops, shrieks, and points to his left.

I snap out of my trance, terrified that I have left him in oncoming traffic.

Alas, he says, "over there, that's where Buckner made the error!" That was 15 years before he was born.

OMG.

Comment

• Originally posted by rodk View Post
          I didn't like Shea; it was a dump that stank of urine. The sight lines were bad. Ticket booth guys tried to rip us off.

I took my 9 year old son to a game at Citifield in about 2010 or so. Shea was long gone, but the Mets left markers in the new parking lot, ostensibly at the exact locations of the rubber and the bases at Shea. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/3513766033

The two of us are poking around out there looking for the car when we find the spots. I may be an old man, but the kid inside remains. I step in at former home plate, pretending I am Willie Mays or Roberto Clemente or Frank Robinson staring down some hapless Met hurler. My son plays along, toeing the marker and assuming the wind up position and I'm just about to hear the roar of the crowd when my son stops, shrieks, and points to his left.

Alas, he says, "over there, that's where Buckner made the error!" That was 15 years before he was born.

OMG.
          I disagree that the sight lines were bad, but your story is wonderful.

Comment

• Today, on the 56th anniversary of the second game of the Mets-Giants doubleheader (5/31/64), Jay Horwitz tweeted this photo of the Shea scoreboard which was taken during that game. Three things stand out: the illuminated Serval Zippers sign can be seen in the distance, it's a great look at the scoreboard in its first year of operation, and the photo was taken in the top of the 18th inning, with the message board informing those who were still there that "THIS IS THE LONGEST GAME IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE THIS YEAR."

(Image source: tweet from Jay Horwitz.)

(Spoilers: the game went 23 innings, and the Mets lost.) (The Mets also lost the first game, as indicated in the "1G" column at the far right end of the linescore.)
            Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 05-31-2020, 05:40 PM.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere, but this is the game that Gaylord Perry said was his first use of the spitter in game play. He pitched innings 13 through 22, and got the win because the Giants scored twice in the top of the 23rd. Bob Hendley got the save. I recall a 25 inning game at Shea in September of 1974, which was won by the Cardinals. In the top of the 25th, McBride got a single. They tried to pick him off, but the throw got away, and in a typical Mets incident, he ran all the way around the bases to score what proved to be the game-winner.
              "Thank you very much, Commissioner, for the fine introduction. We've got the setting: sunshine, fresh air; we've got the team behind us. So... let's play two! - Ernie Banks, Aug 8, 1977"

Comment

• Originally posted by rodk View Post
                I didn't like Shea; it was a dump that stank of urine. The sight lines were bad. Ticket booth guys tried to rip us off.

OMG.
                The reason Shea had plumbing issues was because Fred wouldn't spend a cent to correct them. He was determined to have Shea replaced with a new place that would be step one in generating a giant, publicly funded project for his benefit at Willets Point.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X