X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by rodk View Post
    I didn't like Shea; it was a dump that stank of urine. The sight lines were bad. Ticket booth guys tried to rip us off.

But I still have a favorite moment from Shea, albeit from after it came down.

I took my 9 year old son to a game at Citifield in about 2010 or so. Shea was long gone, but the Mets left markers in the new parking lot, ostensibly at the exact locations of the rubber and the bases at Shea. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/3513766033

The two of us are poking around out there looking for the car when we find the spots. I may be an old man, but the kid inside remains. I step in at former home plate, pretending I am Willie Mays or Roberto Clemente or Frank Robinson staring down some hapless Met hurler. My son plays along, toeing the marker and assuming the wind up position and I'm just about to hear the roar of the crowd when my son stops, shrieks, and points to his left.

I snap out of my trance, terrified that I have left him in oncoming traffic.

Alas, he says, "over there, that's where Buckner made the error!" That was 15 years before he was born.

OMG.
    I disagree that the sight lines were bad, but your story is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• rodk
    replied
    I didn't like Shea; it was a dump that stank of urine. The sight lines were bad. Ticket booth guys tried to rip us off.

But I still have a favorite moment from Shea, albeit from after it came down.

I took my 9 year old son to a game at Citifield in about 2010 or so. Shea was long gone, but the Mets left markers in the new parking lot, ostensibly at the exact locations of the rubber and the bases at Shea. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/3513766033

The two of us are poking around out there looking for the car when we find the spots. I may be an old man, but the kid inside remains. I step in at former home plate, pretending I am Willie Mays or Roberto Clemente or Frank Robinson staring down some hapless Met hurler. My son plays along, toeing the marker and assuming the wind up position and I'm just about to hear the roar of the crowd when my son stops, shrieks, and points to his left.

I snap out of my trance, terrified that I have left him in oncoming traffic.

Alas, he says, "over there, that's where Buckner made the error!" That was 15 years before he was born.

OMG.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    I miss those days!

I miss that place!

Leave a comment:

• Mygirljess
    replied
    Sid001.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mygirljess
    replied
    Mookie001.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    #Retire8 #LGM

Leave a comment:

• Mygirljess
    replied
    Gary001.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post
    Happy March 1st Mets Fans!!
    March first was always a magic day for me!
    That was for many years the day the Advance Ticket Widow opened at Big Shea!
    I remember walking across the Roosevelt Ave Bridge bundled up against the cold wind and armed with jars of coins that contained the $$ we saved up all winter to buy box seats.
    Yes!

My dad used to drive down from Fairfield, CT with a list of games hoping that one or two would have "orange seats" available when he got the front of the line.

We typically ended up with Loge, but every few years we'd get to experience life on the other side of those chain link fences protecting those precious Field Level seats!

Leave a comment:

• sheagoodbye1010
    replied
    Happy March 1st Mets Fans!!
    March first was always a magic day for me!
    That was for many years the day the Advance Ticket Widow opened at Big Shea!
    I remember walking across the Roosevelt Ave Bridge bundled up against the cold wind and armed with jars of coins that contained the $$ we saved up all winter to buy box seats.
    Last edited by sheagoodbye1010; 03-01-2020, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Old Ballpark
    replied
    God, that's beautiful beyond words!

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Check out this DIY Classic Shea Scoreboard Project that was posted on Uni Watch Blog today!

49434501682_af261d4324_o.png49433804013_23a76852af_o.png49434501747_16175fa4c8_o.png

An absolute gem!

And the instructions on how to build your own are included!

Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybird248 View Post
    I worked for the architect who designed Shea (he also did Dodger Stadium in LA). One day, he called me into his office where I found a set of sample stadium seats from different makers. He asked me to sit in them all and then tell him which I preferred, which I did. Then he shocked me by saying, "Thanks, we'll order 60,000 of them!" I don't know if he was kidding or not, but if you liked the seats at Shea, thank me. Otherwise, blame him.
    Your first post and a great one!

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybird248 View Post
    I worked for the architect who designed Shea (he also did Dodger Stadium in LA). One day, he called me into his office where I found a set of sample stadium seats from different makers. He asked me to sit in them all and then tell him which I preferred, which I did. Then he shocked me by saying, "Thanks, we'll order 60,000 of them!" I don't know if he was kidding or not, but if you liked the seats at Shea, thank me. Otherwise, blame him.
    Haha, I love it!

Leave a comment:

• Jaybird248
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tugger
    replied
    Shoddy job at the Magical Beatles Museum in Liverpool: A Shea Stadium display with plastic seats clearly from the late '70s-early 80s renovation. Busted!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X