• Show
Clear All

• The Old Ballpark
    replied
    God, that's beautiful beyond words!

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Check out this DIY Classic Shea Scoreboard Project that was posted on Uni Watch Blog today!

49434501682_af261d4324_o.png49433804013_23a76852af_o.png49434501747_16175fa4c8_o.png

An absolute gem!

And the instructions on how to build your own are included!

Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybird248 View Post
    I worked for the architect who designed Shea (he also did Dodger Stadium in LA). One day, he called me into his office where I found a set of sample stadium seats from different makers. He asked me to sit in them all and then tell him which I preferred, which I did. Then he shocked me by saying, "Thanks, we'll order 60,000 of them!" I don't know if he was kidding or not, but if you liked the seats at Shea, thank me. Otherwise, blame him.
    Your first post and a great one!

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybird248 View Post
    I worked for the architect who designed Shea (he also did Dodger Stadium in LA). One day, he called me into his office where I found a set of sample stadium seats from different makers. He asked me to sit in them all and then tell him which I preferred, which I did. Then he shocked me by saying, "Thanks, we'll order 60,000 of them!" I don't know if he was kidding or not, but if you liked the seats at Shea, thank me. Otherwise, blame him.
    Haha, I love it!

Leave a comment:

• Jaybird248
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tugger
    replied
    Shoddy job at the Magical Beatles Museum in Liverpool: A Shea Stadium display with plastic seats clearly from the late '70s-early 80s renovation. Busted!

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    First Camera Day at Shea (1964) - continued -

shea64cd5.jpg

shea64cd6.jpg

shea64cd7.jpg

shea64cd8.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cir...item1a5ebfedea

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    First Camera Day at Shea (1964)! How many Mets can you name?

shea64cd1.jpg

shea64cd2.jpg

shea64cd3.jpg

shea64cd4.jpg

continued...

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    July 1967, young fans clamor around Mets rookie hurler Tom Seaver shortly after being selected to the 1967 All-Star squad. Seaver would not only participate in the July 11th classic in Anaheim, but in the marathon game would pitch a scoreless 15th to get the save for the NL, allowing only a walk to Yastrzemski and striking out Ken Berry to end it, as the senior circuit prevailed 2-1. Tom would finish 16-13 that season and his HOF career was off and running.

seavershea0767.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Seaver-...tpw:rk:68f:0

Leave a comment:

• tugger
    replied
    53 years ago ...

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Missed this from Paul Lukas' column in January, but a great article of a found 1965 Shea Stadium uniform brochure. Cool pics and interesting reading, check it out -> https://uni-watch.com/2018/01/17/maj...form-brochure/

Some pics:

38873414714_b345e06b92_h.jpg

39650460841_4dab2fb1ab_h.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-01-12-at-10.35.33-AM.png

38873406204_b5095ae9aa_h.jpg

-----

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Found this image of Shea Stadium with the SERVAL ZIPPERS sign prominently in the background.

It appears to be a screen capture from SNY's "Mets Yearbook 1971." It's part of a 2014 blog entry by Paul Lukas on Uni Watch. Here's what he has to say:

[T]here used to be a zipper factory in Queens, called Serval Zippers. Its sign was plainly visible beyond the left field wall at Shea Stadium, so I grew up seeing it when I went to Mets games: During night games, the sign would illuminate one letter at a time — S-E-R-V-A-L Z-I-P-P-E-R-S. Then it would go blank and start over. It was sort of mesmerizing. Alas, Serval Zippers no longer exists (the building is now a U-Haul outlet), although its name lives on on countless garments.

Leave a comment:

• slats7
    replied
    Yanks Old Timers Day

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Shaky but interesting film - Monday, September 3, 1973 (Labor Day doubleheader) vs Phillies, Game 1. Marquee matchup, Jerry Koosman vs Steve Carlton (although both were having sub-par seasons). Action is from innings 1-4. Koosman went all the way, besting Carlton 5-0. This is Willie Mays' last day playing in the regular season in New York; he played 1B this game, then pinch-hit and played 1B in the nightcap. He'd play one more game in Montreal Sept. 9, then participate in the NLCS and WS that fall before calling it a career.

Leave a comment:

• CHiller
    replied
    It's hard to see in the photo that sheagoodbye1010 posted in post 14323, but that crack is definitely in the shape of a large circle, it goes on for a long, long way, extending under the concrete sidewalk that runs east/west in the middle of the lot, and it's in a place where Shea used to be. It has got to be the remnants of a foundation.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X