Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kauffman Stadium / Royals Stadium

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kauffman Stadium / Royals Stadium

    I found this article on the Royals website. I think the plans look great and enhance the original stadium design very well. It doesn't look like a glaring, out of place addition, it works with the original design. I like the plans for the bullpens too, having them run parallel with the outfield wall instead of how they are now. Outfield seating is needed but they aren't overdoing it and ruining the view of the outfield and the fountains. The outfield prominade with restaurants, etc. is a good idea since the stadium is not in the middle of a restaurant/bar district. I haven't been out to Kauffman since I was a kid but I can't wait to catch a game there in a few years since I live across the state.

    http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/new...t=.jsp&c_id=kc
    sigpic

  • #2
    How many of you have ever been to Kauffman Stadium?

    What do you think about it?

    Last edited by KCFAN11; 01-27-2007, 09:14 PM.

    Comment


    • KCFAN11
      KCFAN11 commented
      Editing a comment
      ya it sure has changed since that photo.

    • Solair Wright
      Solair Wright commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on the other side of Missouri, so I may be visiting there this year. I always liked the water fountains in the outfield, and other features. Sure it's no Busch Stadium, but it has significantally changed since the photo. The only problem? People rarely show up except on Opening Day, so it's 9,000~16,000 people that show up most games, with the occasional >20,000 or even a sell out crowd. I really want to see this stadium...

    • Phantom Dreamer
      Phantom Dreamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by The Real McCoy View Post
      Beautiful park, reminds me a bit of Dodger Stadium in its layout and sightlines. A bit like the Oakland park, in terms of being in the middle of nowhere, but Kauffman Stadium, unlike Oakland, is well worth the trek.
      Oakland, middle of nowhere, what?

  • #3
    It's good they didn't drastically alter the seating arrangement because Kaufmann Stadium is probably the best park to come out of the 1960s-1970s era. Unlike Anaheim Stadium, there would be no need to make it more baseball friendly.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by PeteU View Post
      It's good they didn't drastically alter the seating arrangement because Kaufmann Stadium is probably the best park to come out of the 1960s-1970s era. Unlike Anaheim Stadium, there would be no need to make it more baseball friendly.

      Yeah I hope they don't overdo it. Remember the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" addage first. That said, it sounds like some of the upgrades should be pretty good.

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by PeteU View Post
        It's good they didn't drastically alter the seating arrangement because Kaufmann Stadium is probably the best park to come out of the 1960s-1970s era. Unlike Anaheim Stadium, there would be no need to make it more baseball friendly.
        For my money, you can strike the "probably;" it IS the best park from that era. I lived in KC when I was a very small child, and my parents tell me that they took me to a Royals game at the old Municipal Stadium. I wish I could remember it. I hadn't been to KC since I was five years old, until this past summer. I went to the place where I used to live 34 years before, and it was remarkably unchanged. I then took my boys to a Royals-As game at Kaufman Stadium, and I was just captivated by the architecture of that ballpark. I'm glad they are renovating the place and not simply building a new stadium. The plans for the renovations do look great. I'll have to make another visit to KC in a few years to see it.
        Rockies fan living in Texas

        Comment


        • #6
          Weren't there plans for a different renovation a few months back? I remember seeing renderings for some renovations that appeared different than these.
          www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

          Comment


          • #7
            I don't understand, why did the Royals opt for this design?
            In my very brief opinion, this is a half assed design that will not do much good.
            I read if isn't broke don't fix it, but if that's the case why do the Royals struggle to draw fans and create revenues?

            From my view it seems the Royals need a new ballpark with luxury boxes and other sources to get revenues to increase payroll, this new renovation seems to give them less than what a new ballpark would and frankly doesn't look brand new or retro.

            I would have preferred a new state of the art facility with gorgeous water fountains.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
              I don't understand, why did the Royals opt for this design?
              In my very brief opinion, this is a half assed design that will not do much good.
              I read if isn't broke don't fix it, but if that's the case why do the Royals struggle to draw fans and create revenues?

              From my view it seems the Royals need a new ballpark with luxury boxes and other sources to get revenues to increase payroll, this new renovation seems to give them less than what a new ballpark would and frankly doesn't look brand new or retro.

              I would have preferred a new state of the art facility with gorgeous water fountains.
              Are you serious? It has been proven that a new ballpark doesn't necessarily make a team any better. And to answer the part in bold, it's because they're the worst team in the MLB!!! It has nothing to do with Kauffman Stadium.
              WAMCO!

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                Are you serious? It has been proven that a new ballpark doesn't necessarily make a team any better. And to answer the part in bold, it's because they're the worst team in the MLB!!! It has nothing to do with Kauffman Stadium.
                How is a renovation going to help?
                Doesn't the current stadium lack the luxury boxes and infastructure?
                A new ballpark does not equal winning, but it can lead to more revenues to help aid in payroll.

                Comment


                • #10
                  A new stadium will draw fans in for a few years, but it really is a band-aid solution.

                  Also, it is much more economical to renovate an existing facility than it is to build a new one. Kauffman Stadium is a great park, and there is no reason to replace it with a generic HOK park. I am worried that the renovation will lessen the originality of the place, but at least it's not one of the neo-cookie cutters we have today.
                  WAMCO!

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                    A new stadium will draw fans in for a few years, but it really is a band-aid solution.

                    Also, it is much more economical to renovate an existing facility than it is to build a new one. Kauffman Stadium is a great park, and there is no reason to replace it with a generic HOK park. I am worried that the renovation will lessen the originality of the place, but at least it's not one of the neo-cookie cutters we have today.
                    1) Isn't Kauffman a cookie cutter 70s stadium as it stands?
                    2) Won't keeping it just be a real band aid, having them stay in a old facility that can't get people today and has old infrastructure with the retro Wrigley appeal?

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                      1) Isn't Kauffman a cookie cutter 70s stadium as it stands?
                      No, Kauffman definitley is not a cookie cutter stadium.
                      Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                      2) Won't keeping it just be a real band aid, having them stay in a old facility that can't get people today and has old infrastructure with the retro Wrigley appeal?
                      You are making the statement that "the facility can't get people". That is false. It is the team itself that cannot "get" people. Fix the team, and the people will come. Kauffman is not even the problem. That being said, upgrades are always nice.
                      WAMCO!

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                        No, Kauffman definitley is not a cookie cutter stadium.
                        You are making the statement that "the facility can't get people". That is false. It is the team itself that cannot "get" people. Fix the team, and the people will come. Kauffman is not even the problem. That being said, upgrades are always nice.
                        If Kauffman isn't the problem then why do they have so much problems generating revenues that new ballparks with luxury boxes and flashy buildings tend to repair?

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                          If Kauffman isn't the problem then why do they have so much problems generating revenues that new ballparks with luxury boxes and flashy buildings tend to repair?
                          Correlation implies causation!

                          How much has the payroll gone up for the Pirates since PNC opened? My guess is, not dramatically more than the general increase across the league. Bud and his cronies want you to believe that publicly financed stadiums will fix every issue with the team and the city, but it's not the case.

                          Fenway has comparatively few luxury boxes, little seating and few amenities, and is one of the top revenue generating facilities in sports. Same goes with Yankee Stadium. They're fortunate to be in major media markets, with huge population bases that can spend money on the team. KC is a football town with a small population. Thus, they can't compete with the heavy hitters, whether they're playing in HOK Crapfest #27, or the beautiful Kauffman Stadium.
                          http://www.virtualfenway.com

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
                            1) Isn't Kauffman a cookie cutter 70s stadium as it stands?
                            Calling Royals Stadium a cookie-cutter is like calling Michael Moore a neo-con.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X