Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ideal Ballpark: What's on your list?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Ideal Ballpark: What's on your list?

    I see lots of people on here complaining about how ballparks are being built in the current era (HOK, etc.), which brings my question? What do you, the Baseball Fever members, want to see in a ballpark? And the question pertains to every aspect, from seating styles, dimensions, concessions....everything.

  • #2
    Women should receive ticket discounts on Friday nights. Have you ever noticed that you'll see more women at Wrigley compared to other ballparks? Wrigley doesn't need to hook girls up with discounts, but other cities do. Northside Chicago girls are fine.




    I'm prepared to purchase a couple of $8 beers at today's Dodger / Angels game, but I won't be happy about it. I don't care if it's 12 oz of Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada, Leinenkugel's, or Anchor Steam...$8 for a beer is worse than saying Anaheim is Los Angeles.



    The promo for the "Freeway Series" on Fox Sports West is the 'Battle of Los Angeles!'

    Rage Against the Machine is choice, but there isn't a 'Battle of Los Angeles'...in baseball. See, Anaheim is miles away in this fruity little county full of pick up trucks and kids with rat tail haircuts with lightning bolts shaved on the side of their heads. Saying Anaheim is Los Angeles is like someone from China saying Qingdao is similar to Zhangdian. You kids at Berkeley know what I'm talking about.

    310

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm real simple of new parks. Make sure it has pitcher's dimensions and "quirks." I think every baseball stadium should have something identifiable with the park or the team. Houston has the hilll in centerfield, Boston has the green monster, Yankee stadium has the little league down the line dimensions. And so on......

      I think it's cool that CitiField will have the overhanging "porch" 383 feet away and the cove underneath it which I hear is 391 feet away. That's cool. It will also have the 14 foot walls in left and no part of the outfield fence will be shorter than what Shea is now at 8 feet.

      Comment


      • #4
        Architecture. I want a park a city and a franchise is proud to call home, that is unique among its peers. I want a park with a set idea of what it wants to be, and what it wishes to accomplish. The park should create its own vocabulary and redefine what it means to be a baseball stadium, rather than relying on the past as a crutch to avoid innovation.

        I want something unique. There has not been a unique park built since Camden, which spawned a period of generic architecture so overwhelming it made the 70s doughnut clones look minor.

        So, I want architecture. I want an architect to design a park from scratch, rather than jumbling up old ballparks. Every single part of the stadium should have a set, justifiable purpose. If there are funky dimensions, there better be a damn good reason for it, rather than forced atmosphere.

        None of these things will happen any time soon, as we're a lazy culture too bored to think up new ideas. That's why we get CitiField and New Yankee Stadium.
        http://www.virtualfenway.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post

          The promo for the "Freeway Series" on Fox Sports West is the 'Battle of Los Angeles!'

          Rage Against the Machine is choice, but there isn't a 'Battle of Los Angeles'...in baseball. See, Anaheim is miles away in this fruity little county full of pick up trucks and kids with rat tail haircuts with lightning bolts shaved on the side of their heads. Saying Anaheim is Los Angeles is like someone from China saying Qingdao is similar to Zhangdian. You kids at Berkeley know what I'm talking about.
          Not sure how this relates to the original post, but I have to point out the Baltimore Orioles-Washington Nationals series is referred to as "The Battle of the Beltway." Never mind that each city has its own beltway, so it should be "The Battle of the Beltways".

          And I can tell you Baltimorians are definetly not fond of the city 40 miles to the south and deeply resented Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke's attempt to force his team upon the city during the 13 year absence of NFL football in Baltimore. The same can be said for Washington baseball fans who were none too pleased at Peter Angelos' prolonged effort at blocking baseball in DC. Bottom line is there is no love lost between these two cities, and sports teams (and the absence thereof) plays a good part of the rivalry.

          Too bad both baseball teams right now stink to high heavens. It would be fun to have a real rivalry.

          Comment


          • #6
            1. Seats facing home plate
            2. Something to look at between innings.
            3. Cheap hot dogs
            4. Parking
            5. Good Ticket Prices (I go for $13 a seat, and behind home plate in the upper deck)
            6. No giagantic holes in the ground next to the stadium
            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by l3igrol3 View Post
              I see lots of people on here complaining about how ballparks are being built in the current era (HOK, etc.), which brings my question? What do you, the Baseball Fever members, want to see in a ballpark? And the question pertains to every aspect, from seating styles, dimensions, concessions....everything.
              I think the creme de la creme of the new ballparks is PNC Park. I give them an A++ for that stadium. I have actually been to a game there once, and I think they did practically everything right.

              Some of my favorite aspects of a ballpark:

              1. Located in downtown urban area with easy access via walking or public transportation. Views of the city skyline beyond the outfield.

              2. If at all possible logistically, at least 325' down both lines.

              3. No forced "quirks" like Houston and Texas. (A flagpole in CF? Huh???)

              4. No artificial turf.

              5. Small is ok: 40 to 45,000 seats or less. Makes for a good "intimate" baseball atmosphere.

              6. Stay away from the glitz and glam of modern architecture. Don't try to look "futuristic."

              7. Use lots of brick facing.

              8. Use olden style lighting towers. I don't want to see anything that looks like it belongs in a "Buck Rogers" science-fiction comic book.

              Comment


              • #8
                I want a ballpark where there's no swimming pool in the outfield. I want a ballpark where every seat has a great view. I want a ballpark where you can buy a hotdog and a coke for less than $5. I want a ballpark with real grass. I want a ballpark that caters to BASEBALL FANS! I want a ballpark without a dome. I want a ballpark that is built just for baseball. I want a ballpark with 375 feet down the lines and 430 dead center. I want a ballpark that doesn't have the name of a financial corporation attached to it. I want a ballpark that I can call home. And I want to be able to smoke in my ballpark

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                  Architecture. I want a park a city and a franchise is proud to call home, that is unique among its peers. I want a park with a set idea of what it wants to be, and what it wishes to accomplish. The park should create its own vocabulary and redefine what it means to be a baseball stadium, rather than relying on the past as a crutch to avoid innovation.

                  I want something unique. There has not been a unique park built since Camden, which spawned a period of generic architecture so overwhelming it made the 70s doughnut clones look minor.

                  So, I want architecture. I want an architect to design a park from scratch, rather than jumbling up old ballparks. Every single part of the stadium should have a set, justifiable purpose. If there are funky dimensions, there better be a damn good reason for it, rather than forced atmosphere.
                  What he said.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                    Architecture. I want a park a city and a franchise is proud to call home, that is unique among its peers. I want a park with a set idea of what it wants to be, and what it wishes to accomplish. The park should create its own vocabulary and redefine what it means to be a baseball stadium, rather than relying on the past as a crutch to avoid innovation.

                    I want something unique. There has not been a unique park built since Camden, which spawned a period of generic architecture so overwhelming it made the 70s doughnut clones look minor.

                    So, I want architecture. I want an architect to design a park from scratch, rather than jumbling up old ballparks. Every single part of the stadium should have a set, justifiable purpose. If there are funky dimensions, there better be a damn good reason for it, rather than forced atmosphere.

                    None of these things will happen any time soon, as we're a lazy culture too bored to think up new ideas. That's why we get CitiField and New Yankee Stadium.
                    Amen brother. (tear):applaud:
                    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

                    www.greystonesbaseball.org

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nothing too specific really. I really don't care that much about cantilevered or non-cantilevered upper decks or dimensions or anything like that. I just like a ballpark to have something of a signature piece, something that can be readily identifable by in a simple word association. Example:

                      Ivy: Wrigley
                      Green Monster: Fenway
                      Warehouse: Camden
                      Waterfalls: Kaufman

                      Etc.

                      I also like a ballpark to have some association with the city it's in, and the surrounding architecture. For example, in Miami there isn't a great deal of brick architecture, so a brick ballpark (should it be built) would be out of place. However, an Art Deco style park would be perfect. I wish the Nationals Park would have drawn some more inspiration from the city's greco-roman architecture buildings in its exterior.

                      And if the team has a long history, a nice homage to the former park or parks would be nice. You shouldn't just brush off the past. And if your past includes a highly historic park, the more references the better, and nothing half-arsed (New Yankee Stadium, I'm looking your way...)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'd start with actually having a team
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rockhound View Post
                          I want a ballpark where there's no swimming pool in the outfield. I want a ballpark where every seat has a great view. I want a ballpark where you can buy a hotdog and a coke for less than $5. I want a ballpark with real grass. I want a ballpark that caters to BASEBALL FANS! I want a ballpark without a dome. I want a ballpark that is built just for baseball. I want a ballpark with 375 feet down the lines and 430 dead center. I want a ballpark that doesn't have the name of a financial corporation attached to it. I want a ballpark that I can call home. And I want to be able to smoke in my ballpark
                          Everything about your post is perfect except one thing....I would prefer the no smoking. Ballparks are big places though, im sure you can find somewhere good in the outfield where you can smoke and us nonsmoking people can be happy that we cant taste it or smell it.
                          Riding Revel8

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            hotdogs. thats it.
                            http://peterton.myminicity.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sean o: There has not been a unique park built since Camden .... If there are funky dimensions, there better be a damn good reason for it, rather than forced atmosphere...
                              Attached Files
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X