X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jnakamura
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    You're probably right on both counts. But to play devil's advocate, it's not as though the LA Coliseum was an important/classic baseball ballpark, but it still didn't make the 2008 exhibition game any less cool.
    Well the Coliseum is one of the most historic stadiums in the United States, if not the entire world. And will forever hold the attendance record for a World Series.

Leave a comment:

• DrBear
    replied
    I'd dispute the important part - it was a key location in baseball's move west. It also was a unique park because of its extremely short left field. Dolphins Stadium had retractable seats and was not part of a historic move.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Something tells me it won't be. It'll be 60 years old by then. That's an eternity in NFL-ese.

They won't do that. Sun Life isn't important or classic enough. They'll do the anniversary at the new ballpark.
    You're probably right on both counts. But to play devil's advocate, it's not as though the LA Coliseum was an important/classic baseball ballpark, but it still didn't make the 2008 exhibition game any less cool.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Well, presuming the stadium is around in 2043
    Something tells me it won't be. It'll be 60 years old by then. That's an eternity in NFL-ese.

they'll need to use the stadium for an exhibition game to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the franchise
    They won't do that. Sun Life isn't important or classic enough. They'll do the anniversary at the new ballpark.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    They could just big a big net up and play in the football shape lol
    They actually did that in 1988 in an exhibition series between the Orioles and Dodgers. Left field was something like 270 down the line, and they put up a temporary 30 foot high wall. I think they only bothered to do the dirt cut outs around the bases rather than the full infield, but I'm not sure.

I would love, love, love to see pictures of Joe Robbie in the 1988 exhibition series, but all I was able to find were grainy newspaper shots. Finding shots of the 1991 exhibition series between the O's and Yankees was tough enough.
    Last edited by PeteU; 10-02-2011, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    They could just big a big net up and play in the football shape lol

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    How so? There is zero chance that Sun Life will ever be needed for baseball. There are no teams to play there. The Marlins obviously don't need it. No one else will either. And since it's been proven that the stadium sucks for baseball...well, to actually PUT a baseball team in there would be the foolish thing.
    Well, presuming the stadium is around in 2043, they'll need to use the stadium for an exhibition game to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the franchise, a la what the Dodgers did with the Coliseum.

I think that would be cool.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Yeah that would be like keeping shea stadium in case something happens to citi field. There is no way they would ever want to keep the baseball conversion possible if it screws with the site lines for football. They are in competion every few years for the superbowl, so they don't want to screw anything up.

Leave a comment:

• The Old Ballpark
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Don't think that they will totally eliminate any chance of ever being used for baseball again. It problably will never be used for it again, but to totally eliminate the ability to convert if needed, would be foolish.

Unless, they renovate the place and things for a baseball conversion are in the way....
    If you go back a few pages on this thread it contains links to the Dolphins ownership's plans for further renovations to Sun Life. They include new permanent field level seating that would make it no longer convertable to baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Don't think that they will totally eliminate any chance of ever being used for baseball again. It problably will never be used for it again, but to totally eliminate the ability to convert if needed, would be foolish.
    How so? There is zero chance that Sun Life will ever be needed for baseball. There are no teams to play there. The Marlins obviously don't need it. No one else will either. And since it's been proven that the stadium sucks for baseball...well, to actually PUT a baseball team in there would be the foolish thing.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I think thats a sign where both parties were saying good ridence lol.

Unless, they renovate the place and things for a baseball conversion are in the way....

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by machpost View Post
    They would sod over the infield multiple times each summer when the Nats were sharing RFK Stadium with DC United. But not once did the field there ever look as bad as it did at Sun Life this week. That might take the record for worst field conditions in a Major League ballpark during the modern era.
    I think thats a sign where both parties were saying good ridence lol.

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    I think Joe Robbie suffered from the same problem as Candlestick. Low lying, built on landfill over former water or wet lands. The conversion was never going to be easy, no matter what they put into it.

I think things will be fine for football now that baseball is gone. Same way it was at the Stick post 2000s.
    Did the crown of the football field affect the baseball shape of Joe Robbie?

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    ^ But like I said, since there will never be any more baseball there - only football - can't they build a better field surface now? One that doesn't need to be converted back and forth between baseball and football?

In years previous, what did they do once baseball season was over? They resodded the whole thing with a football-only turf, right? Did they simply cover over the diamond and pitcher's mound, or obliterate them (to be reconstructed in the spring)?

If the former, then surely they *can* now obliterate all vestiges of the baseball surface now that no baseball will ever be played there again. Thus Sun Life will return to being a pure football stadium, with a football-only playing surface. As it should be.

Although if I understand you right, there won't yet be TIME to do all that, since football season has already begun. Thus they would need to wait until the end of said football season in order to build a decent, football-only surface. Is that what you mean?

(side note: by 'futbol' do you mean soccer? If that's the case, it's still harmless, since converting from football to soccer is a lot easier than football to baseball. Because with soccer vs. football, the surface is the same - only the markings, which AFAIK are easily changed, would be different.)
    here you go Mr Laser Beam

see what happens to the pitcher mound at the 1.00 mark
    yes after the football season ends, that is the plan for now
    BRAND NEW football field
    futball=soccer

by Patrick McHugh on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:59PM
    The days of baseball dirt mixed with pigskin grass are no longer, however. The Dolphins will have grass put down for their Monday Night Football showdown with the Patriots and for the Fins' Week 2 contest with the Texans. By the time Miami hosts its next home game on Oct. 23, the Marlins' season will be finished and all infield dirt will be removed. With the Marlins moving to a new stadium in 2012, that means the Dolphins will no longer be sharing their field with the city's baseball club and therefore won't have to deal with any more dirt.
    Last edited by drdg; 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    I think Joe Robbie suffered from the same problem as Candlestick. Low lying, built on landfill over former water or wet lands. The conversion was never going to be easy, no matter what they put into it.

I think things will be fine for football now that baseball is gone. Same way it was at the Stick post 2000s.

Leave a comment:

• machpost
    replied
    That's the first time I ever recall a multipurpose stadium with grass ever sodding over the infield before the baseball season ended. Although I think they did it for a soccer game earlier this year as well. I guess they want it to look unblemished for MNF. Either that, or the Dolphins just can't wait to get the Marlins out....
    They would sod over the infield multiple times each summer when the Nats were sharing RFK Stadium with DC United. But not once did the field there ever look as bad as it did at Sun Life this week. That might take the record for worst field conditions in a Major League ballpark during the modern era.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X