Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marlins739
    replied
    There will be some more changes at the Dolph football setup, but it remains to be seen what they do. The bullpens are probably coming out, as is the warning track that cuts into the back foot of the end zones. The dugouts will probably be covered up, and usually once the Fish are done there is no sign on the field that they ever existed. The grass looks awful even for football. It's almost like the Marlins wanted to show just how crappy the place was and put less effort than usual into the field.

Nice game yesterday. Result notwithstanding, they did a nice job sending the place off. I'll always have a warm place in my heart for the old building

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    ^ But like I said, since there will never be any more baseball there - only football - can't they build a better field surface now? One that doesn't need to be converted back and forth between baseball and football?

In years previous, what did they do once baseball season was over? They resodded the whole thing with a football-only turf, right? Did they simply cover over the diamond and pitcher's mound, or obliterate them (to be reconstructed in the spring)?

If the former, then surely they *can* now obliterate all vestiges of the baseball surface now that no baseball will ever be played there again. Thus Sun Life will return to being a pure football stadium, with a football-only playing surface. As it should be.

Although if I understand you right, there won't yet be TIME to do all that, since football season has already begun. Thus they would need to wait until the end of said football season in order to build a decent, football-only surface. Is that what you mean?

(side note: by 'futbol' do you mean soccer? If that's the case, it's still harmless, since converting from football to soccer is a lot easier than football to baseball. Because with soccer vs. football, the surface is the same - only the markings, which AFAIK are easily changed, would be different.)
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    I take it that the end of the Marlins season (and therefore the end of all baseball at this stadium) means that the entire field can basically be ripped up, re-sodded from stem to stern, and turned into a pure football field?
    NOT this year 2011
    as they will host a football game this saturday oct. 1, 2011 university of miami
    then either a futball game, more UM games and nfl games until after january 2012
    http://www.sunlifestadium.com/

This stadium's ownership has to be the most spiteful in the business.
    they didn't even bother erasing the football lines
    http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/mlb/g...b_1&mode=video
    Last edited by drdg; 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    ^ Thank God for that!

Leave a comment:

• hofflalu
    replied
    And, it's over. Joe Robbie Stadium/Pro Player Stadium/Dolphins Stadium/Dolphin Stadium/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium is now a former MLB stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Anyone notice they sodded over the diamond for MNF this week?

I don't remember them covering the infield in past Septembers.
    I take it that the end of the Marlins season (and therefore the end of all baseball at this stadium) means that the entire field can basically be ripped up, re-sodded from stem to stern, and turned into a pure football field?

Leave a comment:

• J.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    I not sure if I've ever seen the baseball conditions worse than they are for this closing series against my Nationals. There's a marsh just beyond 1st base and in shallow CF where the 50 ydln meets the sidelines of the gridiron.
    This stadium's ownership has to be the most spiteful in the business. Surely there are clauses in the Marlins' lease that would allow them to seek damages - that field is a disgrace to MLB.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    I gotta give mad props to this org and their fans. The Marlins have accomplished a lot with very little, in a short period of time none the less. I only hope my young Nationals can take the same path, minus the payroll purges of course.

Like Miami, Washington has only mild fan interest for MLB. However, there are a few hard cores in every baseball town who are just as passionate as the fans in Boston, St.L, NY, Chi.

The Marlins faithful have earned the new stadium even if the tax payers didn't deserve the punishment of paying for it.

Enjoy this final night in your temporary home of 19 years!
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lumbergh
    replied
    loved the teal, I wish they would keep it.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Last game there today. How cool would it be for them to break out the new Miami Marlins uniforms sorta like the White Sox did when they left Old Comisky.

Jeff Conine has to be there today along with all the players from 97 and 2003. Maybe a Charlie Hough knuckleball to Conine?

I'd take a game with them in their original uniforms one last time. More (ugly) teal, the better. Black is so tired...

Where's Orestes?

Look at all that teal!
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    I not sure if I've ever seen the baseball conditions worse than they are for this closing series against my Nationals. There's a marsh just beyond 1st base and in shallow CF where the 50 ydln meets the sidelines of the gridiron.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    good riddance

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    Vuvuzuelas at a Marlins game last year.

Leave a comment:

• bhratbrat
    replied
    When I went to the Dolphins game yesterday, the seams were showing. Redid the sod at the 50 for the Dolphins and I could tell where the outline for the basepaths were.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    The fish are out of town for 10 days beginning last Fri. Miami/OH St. is this Saturday, so at least they're getting a few football games out of that sod.

I must say the sod job was the most seemless I've ever seen. You could barely tell on tv other than the close ups of guys on the ground just after tackles, etc. Usually there's a defined color difference in the two turf surfaces. Candlestick was always the worst.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X