X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    Completely irrelevant. Up here, people take vacation days to go to games.

Can't believe I'm defending the friggin' Yankees, but if you were to go with a rough 3,000 estimate, that's almost 3x as much. If you go with the 347 figure, that's 25x as much.
    Well, that's nice and all, but the Sox have the benefit of 100+ years of history and playing in a sainted Green Cathedral intended for baseball. Ditto for the Yankees. At no time in the past few decades has there been any threat of moving or contracting the team. No major firesales to be spoken of. No threats to the stability of the franchise.

But, as you see from the 2003 Yankees game, even big history, big market teams like them are not immune from the unexpected. And again, in the long run, actual attendance figures are going to be irrelevant. Like or not, attendance is going to be measured by paid attendance, including all no-shows. And unless we are talking about a World Series game, just about every team is going to have a few thousand no-shows. That 3,000 figure is something that was pulled out of one's rear. For that matter, so could my estimate of the 15,000 or 16,000 that were in the park by the second game (which I saw on television). Paid attendance was over 22,000, meaning 22,000 paid for their seats, whether they showed up in the 1st inning of the first game, 5th inning of the first game, 1st inning of the second game, or not at all.

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    First, it wasn't a rained out game. Thursday's game was moved forward. There was no postponement. And as I said in the other post, sadly the media didn't really publicize the fact that the Wednesday had been turned into a doubleheader. Hence, the paultry showing for the first game, but your typical 15,000 or so crowd for the second game.
    Completely irrelevant. Up here, people take vacation days to go to games.

Secondly, let's look at the baseball hotbed in the Bronx, during a year that the Yanks would be headed off to a World Series. What was the paid attendance at the House that Ruth Built for the Blue Jays-Yankees makeup game on September 8, 2003?

Answer: 8,848.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/485229?quicktabs_1=2

It happens.
    Can't believe I'm defending the friggin' Yankees, but if you were to go with a rough 3,000 estimate, that's almost 3x as much. If you go with the 347 figure, that's 25x as much.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Pete nailing them...

As a fan, I would love to be at games like that where there's little fans. How much fun would that first game be if you were there? I hate sitting shoulder to shoulder with people I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    Funny, they do up here in Boston. Rained out night games get rescheduled for the next afternoon and at least 20k always show up.
    First, it wasn't a rained out game. Thursday's game was moved forward. There was no postponement. And as I said in the other post, sadly the media didn't really publicize the fact that the Wednesday had been turned into a doubleheader. Hence, the paultry showing for the first game, but your typical 15,000 or so crowd for the second game.

Secondly, let's look at the baseball hotbed in the Bronx, during a year that the Yanks would be headed off to a World Series. What was the paid attendance at the House that Ruth Built for the Blue Jays-Yankees makeup game on September 8, 2003?

Answer: 8,848.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/485229?quicktabs_1=2

It happens.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by MC EXPOS View Post
    I understand but there is literally 25 people in the stands while the game is underway in the pic. The new stadium will draw well the first 2 years, then dont be surprise to see crowds of 10000 or less unless the team is a powerhouse.
    No, I don't think you do understand.

First, there were literally more than just 25 people in the stands. (Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine).

Secondly, the picture was taken at the very beginning of the first game of a doubleheader, a game that hadn't been scheduled for that time until literally
    the day before. Here's the big problem. With the Marlins not really being all that competitive as of late (an intentional understatement--they're sucking royally), combined with the Dolphins starting up their season and all the fun coming out of UM football, the Marlins have been getting virtually zero media attention in town. They have been buried in the back pages, and whatever announcement that the single night game on Wednesday had been turned into a double header starting at 3 in the afternoon was probably not caught by anyone but an astute few. So I'm not kidding when I say that very few people in town knew there was a game at 3 pm. They knew there was a night game, but they were not aware of the game that had been rescheduled last minute for earlier that afternoon.

I'm not going to be delusional and say that Marlins attendance has been good any time of late. But this particular situation has been completely taken out of context. As I said before, by the second game, there was your typical crowd of 15,000-16,000 in the stands, because--**people were actually made aware of the night game and were able to show up**. I saw the game on TV and it was your typical modest but not paultry Marlins crowd. Again, very few people knew that a game had been scheduled that afternoon. It's not as though this game had been on the schedule for months and no one decided to show up. It was a last minute, and sadly very little publicized, change.

And as an FYI, the Marlins have not had a paid crowd of less than 10,000 since 2003. Yes, I'm sure there have been plenty of actual attendances that have dipped below that figure, but let's be honest, actual attendance is never used as a bench mark anymore in any city for any team.

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied
    Originally posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
    People don't just randomly go to a weekday baseball game on a days notice when it was supposed to be the day after.
    Funny, they do up here in Boston. Rained out night games get rescheduled for the next afternoon and at least 20k always show up.

Leave a comment:

• MC EXPOS
    replied
    I understand but there is literally 25 people in the stands while the game is underway in the pic. The new stadium will draw well the first 2 years, then dont be surprise to see crowds of 10000 or less unless the team is a powerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• go_leafs_go02
    replied
    Before anyone goes crazy, Here's why:

As I mentioned earlier today, because of the stupid hurricane, the Reds and Marlins scheduled an impromptu doubleheader today. It got underway just under an hour ago
    The game was announced this morning. People don't just randomly go to a weekday baseball game on a days notice when it was supposed to be the day after. Plus, people are busy getting ready for a possible hurricane.

Leave a comment:

• MC EXPOS
    replied
    Ya like all of a sudden a walk up crowd of 15000 showed up to catch this meaningless game. I saw some of the game and there was no more than 3000, but they announced 22 505. Incredible !!!!. I was in attendance for many Expos games during the last few dismall years, and even with all the negative crap the Expos went through in the last 6 or 7 years, the stadium was NEVER this empty. The Marlins should have so much momentum moving into a new park next year, but instead it looks like a Class A rookie league exhibition game is going on. WOW !!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Plenty of good seats at Reds-Marlins double header. Estimated 250-300 fans.

Source:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-marlins-game/
    A reasonable amount have filtered in since...probably 15,000 or so now at the park from what I see on my TV now.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    Plenty of good seats at Reds-Marlins double header. Estimated 250-300 fans.

Source:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-marlins-game/

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    ...best coughing up the $10.
    bet parking will be a lot more than that, especially since the retail space in the parking structures (that are full of cracks)
    aren't being snapped up.

Florida Marlins garage retail, dining sites meet resistance
    http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/110804/story6.shtml

Repairing concrete cracks will delay completion of garages at Marlins’ Little Havana ballpark
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/2...#ixzz1UDfmWdpN

more of the UGLY TRUTH to come...

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    Don't tell me the Dolphins are going to miss us! I don't want to hear it. They've been bitching and moaning about the infield dirt for decades, but they still enjoy every penny of parking and concession revenue. Heck, why not resign Olindo Mare now? Who can ever forget this game:
    " "Go Marlins!" former New England Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour famously said in 2003, after Olindo Mare missed two kicks off the infamous dirt and cost the Dolphins a victory. New England ended up prevailing 19-13 in overtime."

As for the Super Bowl, where else would they like to have it? Bring all the bigwigs back to Detroit in January? It's all a game to force the Dolphins to improve the upkeep on the place, which has definitely been lacking in recent years. They pressure washed the bottom few rows of the lower deck this offseason and it looks lightyears better than before. Do that to the whole stadium, replace the seats, and it's as good as new.

Leave a comment:

• DiggerODell
    replied
    Well, you know what I always say . . . This would . . . be my favorite ballpark, if I lived there. But I don't . . .so? . . .

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Funny thing...for 18 years, the Dolphins have seemed to want to get the Marlins the heck out of their stadium. Now, it seems they've grown accustomed to their face....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,1448355.story

Sun Life Stadium's big-game future uncertain after Marlins leave
    No guarantee of Super Bowl, BCS Championship returning, but soccer will help fill void

By Craig Davis, Staff Writer

4:03 p.m. EDT, August 2, 2011

MIAMI GARDENS— Barring a monumental playoff push, the Marlins have but 25 games remaining at Sun Life Stadium before they pack up the bats, balls and mascot Billy's head and move to new digs downtown.

Their departure leaves an uncertain future for their home of the past 18 years, which has more to do with the stadium's age than the loss of baseball.

Whether the future includes regular stops by the Super Bowl and BCS Championship games may hinge on renovation plans currently in limbo. There is no plan for seeking public funding since a bid to raise the tourist tax cap in Miami-Dade County for that purpose failed this spring in the Florida Legislature, Mike Dee, CEO of the Dolphins and the stadium, said last week.

Stadium officials are prepared to aggressively pursue new events. That has already begun with WrestleMania XXVIII, scheduled for April 1, 2012, expected to fill the 75,000-plus seats.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I still don't get how Joe Robbie is somehow considered unfit for future Super Bowls. Other than perhaps cosmetic changes, such as replacing the 24 year old orange seats (which are a bit weather worn), the place is perfectly fine for the Big Game. The club levels are as luxurious as any big wig would want. And the rainstorm at the Super Bowl in 2007 is nothing compared to any potential blizzard at the 2014 Super Bowl in New York/New Jersey.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X