Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    I not sure if I've ever seen the baseball conditions worse than they are for this closing series against my Nationals. There's a marsh just beyond 1st base and in shallow CF where the 50 ydln meets the sidelines of the gridiron.
    This stadium's ownership has to be the most spiteful in the business. Surely there are clauses in the Marlins' lease that would allow them to seek damages - that field is a disgrace to MLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
      Anyone notice they sodded over the diamond for MNF this week?

I don't remember them covering the infield in past Septembers.
      I take it that the end of the Marlins season (and therefore the end of all baseball at this stadium) means that the entire field can basically be ripped up, re-sodded from stem to stern, and turned into a pure football field?
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• And, it's over. Joe Robbie Stadium/Pro Player Stadium/Dolphins Stadium/Dolphin Stadium/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium is now a former MLB stadium.

Comment

• ^ Thank God for that!
          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
            I take it that the end of the Marlins season (and therefore the end of all baseball at this stadium) means that the entire field can basically be ripped up, re-sodded from stem to stern, and turned into a pure football field?
            NOT this year 2011
            as they will host a football game this saturday oct. 1, 2011 university of miami
            then either a futball game, more UM games and nfl games until after january 2012
            http://www.sunlifestadium.com/

This stadium's ownership has to be the most spiteful in the business.
            they didn't even bother erasing the football lines
            http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/mlb/g...b_1&mode=video
            Last edited by drdg; 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• ^ But like I said, since there will never be any more baseball there - only football - can't they build a better field surface now? One that doesn't need to be converted back and forth between baseball and football?

In years previous, what did they do once baseball season was over? They resodded the whole thing with a football-only turf, right? Did they simply cover over the diamond and pitcher's mound, or obliterate them (to be reconstructed in the spring)?

If the former, then surely they *can* now obliterate all vestiges of the baseball surface now that no baseball will ever be played there again. Thus Sun Life will return to being a pure football stadium, with a football-only playing surface. As it should be.

Although if I understand you right, there won't yet be TIME to do all that, since football season has already begun. Thus they would need to wait until the end of said football season in order to build a decent, football-only surface. Is that what you mean?

(side note: by 'futbol' do you mean soccer? If that's the case, it's still harmless, since converting from football to soccer is a lot easier than football to baseball. Because with soccer vs. football, the surface is the same - only the markings, which AFAIK are easily changed, would be different.)
              Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• There will be some more changes at the Dolph football setup, but it remains to be seen what they do. The bullpens are probably coming out, as is the warning track that cuts into the back foot of the end zones. The dugouts will probably be covered up, and usually once the Fish are done there is no sign on the field that they ever existed. The grass looks awful even for football. It's almost like the Marlins wanted to show just how crappy the place was and put less effort than usual into the field.

Nice game yesterday. Result notwithstanding, they did a nice job sending the place off. I'll always have a warm place in my heart for the old building
                1997 2003
                Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                  That's the first time I ever recall a multipurpose stadium with grass ever sodding over the infield before the baseball season ended. Although I think they did it for a soccer game earlier this year as well. I guess they want it to look unblemished for MNF. Either that, or the Dolphins just can't wait to get the Marlins out....
                  They would sod over the infield multiple times each summer when the Nats were sharing RFK Stadium with DC United. But not once did the field there ever look as bad as it did at Sun Life this week. That might take the record for worst field conditions in a Major League ballpark during the modern era.

Comment

• I think Joe Robbie suffered from the same problem as Candlestick. Low lying, built on landfill over former water or wet lands. The conversion was never going to be easy, no matter what they put into it.

I think things will be fine for football now that baseball is gone. Same way it was at the Stick post 2000s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                      ^ But like I said, since there will never be any more baseball there - only football - can't they build a better field surface now? One that doesn't need to be converted back and forth between baseball and football?

In years previous, what did they do once baseball season was over? They resodded the whole thing with a football-only turf, right? Did they simply cover over the diamond and pitcher's mound, or obliterate them (to be reconstructed in the spring)?

If the former, then surely they *can* now obliterate all vestiges of the baseball surface now that no baseball will ever be played there again. Thus Sun Life will return to being a pure football stadium, with a football-only playing surface. As it should be.

Although if I understand you right, there won't yet be TIME to do all that, since football season has already begun. Thus they would need to wait until the end of said football season in order to build a decent, football-only surface. Is that what you mean?

(side note: by 'futbol' do you mean soccer? If that's the case, it's still harmless, since converting from football to soccer is a lot easier than football to baseball. Because with soccer vs. football, the surface is the same - only the markings, which AFAIK are easily changed, would be different.)
                      here you go Mr Laser Beam

see what happens to the pitcher mound at the 1.00 mark
                      yes after the football season ends, that is the plan for now
                      BRAND NEW football field
                      futball=soccer

by Patrick McHugh on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:59PM
                      The days of baseball dirt mixed with pigskin grass are no longer, however. The Dolphins will have grass put down for their Monday Night Football showdown with the Patriots and for the Fins' Week 2 contest with the Texans. By the time Miami hosts its next home game on Oct. 23, the Marlins' season will be finished and all infield dirt will be removed. With the Marlins moving to a new stadium in 2012, that means the Dolphins will no longer be sharing their field with the city's baseball club and therefore won't have to deal with any more dirt.
                      Last edited by drdg; 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by machpost View Post
                        They would sod over the infield multiple times each summer when the Nats were sharing RFK Stadium with DC United. But not once did the field there ever look as bad as it did at Sun Life this week. That might take the record for worst field conditions in a Major League ballpark during the modern era.
                        I think thats a sign where both parties were saying good ridence lol.

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                        I think Joe Robbie suffered from the same problem as Candlestick. Low lying, built on landfill over former water or wet lands. The conversion was never going to be easy, no matter what they put into it.

I think things will be fine for football now that baseball is gone. Same way it was at the Stick post 2000s.
                        Did the crown of the football field affect the baseball shape of Joe Robbie?
                        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                          I think thats a sign where both parties were saying good ridence lol.
                          Don't think that they will totally eliminate any chance of ever being used for baseball again. It problably will never be used for it again, but to totally eliminate the ability to convert if needed, would be foolish.

Unless, they renovate the place and things for a baseball conversion are in the way....

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                            Don't think that they will totally eliminate any chance of ever being used for baseball again. It problably will never be used for it again, but to totally eliminate the ability to convert if needed, would be foolish.
                            How so? There is zero chance that Sun Life will ever be needed for baseball. There are no teams to play there. The Marlins obviously don't need it. No one else will either. And since it's been proven that the stadium sucks for baseball...well, to actually PUT a baseball team in there would be the foolish thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post

Unless, they renovate the place and things for a baseball conversion are in the way....
                              If you go back a few pages on this thread it contains links to the Dolphins ownership's plans for further renovations to Sun Life. They include new permanent field level seating that would make it no longer convertable to baseball.

Comment

• Yeah that would be like keeping shea stadium in case something happens to citi field. There is no way they would ever want to keep the baseball conversion possible if it screws with the site lines for football. They are in competion every few years for the superbowl, so they don't want to screw anything up.
                                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X