Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy114
    replied
    I like how lasorda said he didn't see a bad seat in the house and if you couldn't have a good time here something was wrong with you.

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    The retractable seating was actually installed in 1991, just prior to the Yankees-Orioles exhibition series and while South Florida was in the midst of the expansion derby.

The original exhibition series in 1988 was between the Orioles and Dodgers, and featured a left field wall of only 272 feet.
    Heres a link to an article about that game:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7037,2694746

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post

Does anyone know if the retractable, lower level seating behind the left field wall was installed in 1992, or was it in place when the stadium opened in 1987?

If they had to remove solid concrete in the lower level stands, I can understand the high cost. I don't understand why they would have made those stands permanant instead of installing the retractables from day one.
    The retractable seating was actually installed in 1991, just prior to the Yankees-Orioles exhibition series and while South Florida was in the midst of the expansion derby.

The original exhibition series in 1988 was between the Orioles and Dodgers, and featured a left field wall of only 272 feet.

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Panorama from the Yankee exhibition showing the seats were in fact in place:

few more shots:

Leave a comment:

• SJLT252
    replied
    Does anyone know what they did for the LA Coliseum back in the 1990s when they took out the track and moved in the sidelines? Did they lower the field, rebuild the slope, or both? If you remember when they had the Coliseum exhibition game back in 2008, the left field line was even more ridiculously close than it had been in the 1950s-60s because they had narrowed the field.
    When they lowered the field in 1993, it was supposed to be the first phase of renovations that were called off after the Northridge Earthquake.

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    I believe the retractable seating was new in 1992. I remember hearing about an exhibition game (maybe between the Yankees and Orioles?) in the late 80s that was played before they had retractable seats, and they put up a net in left field.

Maybe the extra cost of installing the retractable seats at the beginning was too high when they didn't know if the MLB team would come in 5 years, 20 years, or never

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    No links, but I've read that Joe Robbie designed the place to have a large enough field surface for baseball and an easy convsersion if an expansion team were ever awarded to S. Florida.

However, I've also read that the renovations in 1992 went through the ceiling in cost over runs; which leads me to my question.

Does anyone know if the retractable, lower level seating behind the left field wall was installed in 1992, or was it in place when the stadium opened in 1987?

If they had to remove solid concrete in the lower level stands, I can understand the high cost. I don't understand why they would have made those stands permanant instead of installing the retractables from day one.

Leave a comment:

• Sean O
    replied
    Does anyone know what they did for the LA Coliseum back in the 1990s when they took out the track and moved in the sidelines? Did they lower the field, rebuild the slope, or both? If you remember when they had the Coliseum exhibition game back in 2008, the left field line was even more ridiculously close than it had been in the 1950s-60s because they had narrowed the field.
    Field lowered, seats added. You can see the division in satellite views between the original seats and the newest ones, about a quarter of the way up.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Wow I am happy and shocked about the dolph upgrades! I didn't think it was that bad for the NFL espically now that they added the extended standing areas on the sides of the stadium. It looks decent though.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
    I think they should lower the playing field when the Marlins move out whether they do the rest of this or not. It's ridiculous how far it is from the sidelines, and if they dig it out some more, it will be a lot cheaper than having to rebuild the entire lower deck. But look at the picture, it looks like they're planning to rebuild the long sides of the lower deck. There's a wall in the corner (just above the new tunnel in the interior rendering) that suggests the slope of the lower deck will be flattened on the sideline sides only.

Which, on a related note, I'd still love to see the Marlins play an exhibition game in Joe Robbie Stadium in 2043 (assuming its still standing). As time goes by, I think they'll be some quirky nostalgia for the old park amongst Marlins fans, although I seriously doubt anyone would want to move back there permanently.

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    Remember that Arlington is a far nicer ballpark than the Dolph is. What the owners are saying is all true, and while it's all a ploy to get the new ballpark (it worked), it's not like they're making these things up. I've only been to Arlington once, and it was hot, but not as bad as a July night in Florida. The daily afternoon rain is what really gets them. Read earlier in this thread. South Florida is the worst place in the country for summertime outdoor baseball

Leave a comment:

• SJLT252
    replied
    Originally posted by Jays753 View Post
    2 WS titles and fans still won't come out. It's a shame.
    Don't forget the owners of the Marlins always bad mouth the stadium, which doesn't exactly help the attendance. How much worse is the heat in Miami than it is in Arlington, which is the exact same stadium setting, with huge parking lots and no public transportation.

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    This article has more pictures of the renderings

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multime...S2_139907c.jpg

Maybe they don't feel that they could make enough of a difference by lowering the field only. It's 90 feet away from the sidelines, compared to the New Meadowlands' 45 feet. Maybe a combination of lowering the field and flattening the lower deck would do it. They also can't dig down too deep because of the high water table in South Florida. That's why the Marlins' ballpark is entirely above grade

Leave a comment:

• SJLT252
    replied
    Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
    The roof they're proposing isn't retractable. That's the entire thing. It's just a fixed canopy over the existing seating bowl and not the playing field. The humidity will be there still. It's not quite so bad in the winter during football season.

I think they should lower the playing field when the Marlins move out whether they do the rest of this or not. It's ridiculous how far it is from the sidelines, and if they dig it out some more, it will be a lot cheaper than having to rebuild the entire lower deck. But look at the picture, it looks like they're planning to rebuild the long sides of the lower deck. There's a wall in the corner (just above the new tunnel in the interior rendering) that suggests the slope of the lower deck will be flattened on the sideline sides only.

New seats and a good pressure washing in the seating bowl will do wonders for the Dolph. As it is, the seats they've had to replace are from a different manufacturer and they look a lot less faded than the old ones. There's about 3 different types of seats found in the park right now. They can't do anything about the crappy legroom there, but it will feel a lot newer with seating bowl improvements
    Why can't they rebulid the end zones and just add some dugout suites since you can't add as many rows as the sideline seats?

Leave a comment:

• SJLT252
    replied
    The way that they are going to make the sideline seats closer is the same thing they are doing to make the seats closer in the Madison Square Garden renovation, I am wondering how they bring the seating closer to the playing surface and if that can be done without gutting the deck.

With the Marlins gone, maybe they will be able to have the best field in football again since they will be no need for infield dirt and inconsistent grass.
    Last edited by SJLT252; 01-08-2010, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X