No announcement yet.

Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pictures I found on Ebay of one of the 1991 pre-Marlins exhibition games between the Orioles and Yankees.

Comment

• Do you know the attendence numbers? Looks like a great crowd that could be really loud!
      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• cool find. I remember those old score boards. I always found it odd how the one in the "outfield" was larger than the other side.

Comment

• does anyone else remember when they had the terraced picnic/party area near the batter's eye in center field? later on they moved it to the 1st base corner.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Some pictures I found on Ebay of one of the 1991 pre-Marlins exhibition games between the Orioles and Yankees.
            I like that JRS was design with baseball in mind from the beginning
            with one scoreboard in the outfield in fair territory like jack murphy stadium

unlike mount davis where the scoreboards are in foul territory

heck the scoreboards aren't even center for football

sigpic

Comment

• Would the lights at oakland for the stadium be the reason the scoeboards being off for every sport?
              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                Do you know the attendence numbers? Looks like a great crowd that could be really loud!
                That particular game drew a paid crowd of 57,359. The night before, the place was sold out completely at 67,654. (I remember watching that game on TV, actually).

People bash JRS as a baseball stadium for obvious reasons, but I will say when the place was full (for the postseason and such), it was incredible.

I think I've said this earlier in this thread, but I'll say it again--I like the added foul line seating for the exhibition game better than the rather hodge-podge set-up they used for the Marlins. Looked more organic.

Comment

• So have any of the baseball additions (i.e. the dugouts, bullpens, foul territory, etc.) been removed from the stadium now that the Marlins aren't there anymore? Do they finally have a decent field as well? Meaning, a permanent football one?
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Here's a picture of the recent Raiders-Dolphins game.

As you can see, the foul line seating and bullpen areas have been removed. Not surprisingly.

I believe the dugouts are still there, however.

I haven't heard any recent complaints about the field conditions now that there is no longer a baseball diamond there. My guess is that they probably re-sodded prior to football season.

Comment

• Pete I may be wrong as I do not watch nor care about the NFL, but I thought I saw a photo from this season that would suggest the dugouts are gone now. The third base side, which would be behind the endzone. From the picture you posted it appears there is some standing room areas on the first base side, so maybe that dugout is still operational for purposes of letting fans out onto the field.

Comment

• So when they take out dugouts do they just put a small tunnel entrance in its place or block it all off?

Comment

• The field looks to be completely unchanged from the baseball days. Both dugouts are still there, and you can still see the outline in the warning track down the right field line where the Marlins bullpen used to be. I'm surprised they haven't bothered to change that yet.
                          1997 2003
                          Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

So when they take out dugouts do they just put a small tunnel entrance in its place or block it all off?
                            I remember when taking a tour of Joe Robbie Stadium prior to the Super Bowl in 2010, we entered the field via the Marlins first base dugout. They had all of it blocked off from view using a wrap, with the exception of a small gap onto the field where the tunnel from the clubhouse exited into the dugout.

Given the original football set-up, the dugouts at Joe Robbie were built "into" the original 8 foot high wall that surrounded the field (much like other dugouts at multipurpose stadia such as the Metrodome were built into the wall). I believe the dugouts debuted in the 1991 exhibition series with the Orioles and Yankees. Prior to that, in baseball exhibition games in 1988-1990, I believe they just used benches backed up against the wall.

Comment

Would the lights at oakland for the stadium be the reason the scoeboards being off for every sport?
                              "off"? the boards placement were the only spots that could accommodate both layouts.
                              would have been too expensive to move the light towers.
                              as odd as the locations are, once you're in there you get used to 'em.
                              folks sitting upstairs in rf better bring ear plugs, all pa speakers are on that side.
                              Paul W
                              Last edited by Paul W; 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM.
                              the turd in the punchbowl
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Schilling's 300th K of 1998
                                9/26/98: Curt Schilling records his 300th K of the season, achieving that feat for the second consecutive year

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25507835
                                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X