No announcement yet.

Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, with all the moving roof designs that we now have - I'm amazed that designers haven't designed a roof system that equalized the shadows a little better. Like a shade that is used to block sunlight, you could have a shade that moves up from the roof to make both the mound and plate covered in shade. I mean, that's the hardest time when there is a shadow over one but not the other. The shade would just equalize the shade when the time is needed.

The sun obviously is at different angles every day, so these sun blockers would either move around the stadium, or have several different units that would be used to dial in the shade.

Sun blocking is the design of Monte Burns.

Comment

• This is the best example I could find of something an American team should try:

Forsyth-Barr_1-990x465.jpg
      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Man, that looks fake.

Also, looks like warm weather areas only with that design. But, that would be novel idea stateside.

The Kibbie Dome has a roof structure similar in design. This translucent roof would be a nice upgrade:

columbresKibbie-5.jpg

Although the Kibbie roof beams are part of the roof itself. There's no skin on trusses like the Aussie roof.
        Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 05-01-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Stadium architects have been working on the sun screen problem for almost 2,000 years...

Last edited by Chef Bill; 05-01-2015, 07:43 AM.
          "Chef Bill"
          Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

• Is that an HOK design too. Man, they've been around forever.

Comment

• No it's a real stadium in New Zeland, upgraded for the Rugby World Cup

1280px-Dunedin_Forsyth_Barr_Stadium.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Barr_Stadium

The Kibbie Dome is better than it was 3 or 4 years ago with the renovations that now let in light, but it's literally shaped like an airplane hanger with some glass windows at one endzone. I mean it's a small time college football/basketball stadium so it's not going to have the funds to try the things an MLB team could try.
              Last edited by Chevy114; 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM.
              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                You know, with all the moving roof designs that we now have - I'm amazed that designers haven't designed a roof system that equalized the shadows a little better. Like a shade that is used to block sunlight, you could have a shade that moves up from the roof to make both the mound and plate covered in shade. I mean, that's the hardest time when there is a shadow over one but not the other. The shade would just equalize the shade when the time is needed.

The sun obviously is at different angles every day, so these sun blockers would either move around the stadium, or have several different units that would be used to dial in the shade.

Sun blocking is the design of Monte Burns.
                The New Wembley Stadium has a roof that was designed to try and accomplish this. Their goal though is to have the entire playing surface in the sun and the stands in the shade. Every game played in that stadium that I've seen on TV has featured a lot of shadows on the playing field, so I'm not sure how pleased the design team is with the result. That stadium gets quite a bit of criticism on several fronts though. It is pretty difficult to find someone with anything positive to say about it.

The idea of movable shade is a funny thing to discuss. The Rays Al Lang design from last decade featured that design element and it was met with quite a bit of skepticism. Incidentally I was down there this past weekend and downtown st pete along their waterfront is really doing well. But I'll save that for the Tropicana Field thread.

Sticking with Sun Life Stadium the inspiration for their roof was the rain during the Bears/Colts Super Bowl. Ross wants to appease the league by providing shelter for SUper Bowl patrons, but he's selling the roof to Dol-Fans by suggesting that it will provide shade. Expect to see bizzare shading patterns ala Cowboys Stadium and Reliant from this static roof. That or something like you see at The Emirates Stadium in North London. They have open spaces between the roof and the top of their seating bowl to allow more light through to the grass when the sun creeps lower.

Comment

• Yeah they shade doesn't matter at night for the super bowl its for the rain.

I still think you can make metal pieces that rotate and go up and down at the right time or controlled by humans, as the sun moves. Its just the issues of maintenance.

Comment

• You wouldn't even need humans for that. The Sun's movements are known exactly at any time. You theoretically should be able to program something to be in the exact right spot at all times.

Wembley sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Comment

• [email protected]: Grounds crew wrestles with tarp in Miami
                      6/29/93: The Florida Marlins groundskeepers have trouble rolling out the tarp, and don't successfully deploy it until the rain stops

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Far from a baseball stadium anymore... but the former home of the Marlins has almost completed its metamorphosis ...

hard rock stadium - september 2016.jpg
                        hard rock stadium 2 - september 2016.jpg
                        hard rock stadium 3 - september 2016.jpg
                        Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 09-07-2016, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                          Far from a baseball stadium anymore... but the former home of the Marlins has almost completed its metamorphosis ...

[ATTACH]157027[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]157028[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]157029[/ATTACH]
                          I believe the top picture was taken from what was home plate. Crazy to think baseball was played there; especially crazy to think that place hosted two World Series too.

Comment

• I can't wait to see this on tv and hear how loud it will now be. Before the place just seemed like misery to endure a NFL game on Sundays.

With the upper and lower decks pretty much attached too - all that noise will be kept inside the place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                              [email protected]: Grounds crew wrestles with tarp in Miami
                              6/29/93: The Florida Marlins groundskeepers have trouble rolling out the tarp, and don't successfully deploy it until the rain stops

I was there that night, what a mess! Was high & dry in the WPLG10 box down the lf line.
                              Last edited by Paul W; 09-09-2016, 01:59 PM.
                              the turd in the punchbowl
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• In the interest of accuracy, we really should change the name of this thread to...
                                Hard Rock S/Sun Life S/Land Shark S/Dolphin S/Dolphins S/Pro Player S/Joe Robbie S

sfl-photos-the-unveiling-of-hard-rock-stadium--002.jpg

Nowadays, you can't tell the stadiums without a scorecard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock_Stadium

The Perfect Vodka Amphitheater in West Palm Beach has gone through about as many name changes in the same period of time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfec...a_Amphitheatre

venue_contact.jpg
                                Last edited by Chef Bill; 09-11-2016, 07:48 AM.
                                "Chef Bill"
                                Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X