X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NickEsasky
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    You know, with all the moving roof designs that we now have - I'm amazed that designers haven't designed a roof system that equalized the shadows a little better. Like a shade that is used to block sunlight, you could have a shade that moves up from the roof to make both the mound and plate covered in shade. I mean, that's the hardest time when there is a shadow over one but not the other. The shade would just equalize the shade when the time is needed.

The sun obviously is at different angles every day, so these sun blockers would either move around the stadium, or have several different units that would be used to dial in the shade.

Sun blocking is the design of Monte Burns.
    The New Wembley Stadium has a roof that was designed to try and accomplish this. Their goal though is to have the entire playing surface in the sun and the stands in the shade. Every game played in that stadium that I've seen on TV has featured a lot of shadows on the playing field, so I'm not sure how pleased the design team is with the result. That stadium gets quite a bit of criticism on several fronts though. It is pretty difficult to find someone with anything positive to say about it.

The idea of movable shade is a funny thing to discuss. The Rays Al Lang design from last decade featured that design element and it was met with quite a bit of skepticism. Incidentally I was down there this past weekend and downtown st pete along their waterfront is really doing well. But I'll save that for the Tropicana Field thread.

Sticking with Sun Life Stadium the inspiration for their roof was the rain during the Bears/Colts Super Bowl. Ross wants to appease the league by providing shelter for SUper Bowl patrons, but he's selling the roof to Dol-Fans by suggesting that it will provide shade. Expect to see bizzare shading patterns ala Cowboys Stadium and Reliant from this static roof. That or something like you see at The Emirates Stadium in North London. They have open spaces between the roof and the top of their seating bowl to allow more light through to the grass when the sun creeps lower.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    No it's a real stadium in New Zeland, upgraded for the Rugby World Cup

1280px-Dunedin_Forsyth_Barr_Stadium.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Barr_Stadium

The Kibbie Dome is better than it was 3 or 4 years ago with the renovations that now let in light, but it's literally shaped like an airplane hanger with some glass windows at one endzone. I mean it's a small time college football/basketball stadium so it's not going to have the funds to try the things an MLB team could try.
    Last edited by Chevy114; 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Is that an HOK design too. Man, they've been around forever.

Leave a comment:

• Chef Bill
    replied
    Stadium architects have been working on the sun screen problem for almost 2,000 years...

Last edited by Chef Bill; 05-01-2015, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Man, that looks fake.

Also, looks like warm weather areas only with that design. But, that would be novel idea stateside.

The Kibbie Dome has a roof structure similar in design. This translucent roof would be a nice upgrade:

columbresKibbie-5.jpg

Although the Kibbie roof beams are part of the roof itself. There's no skin on trusses like the Aussie roof.
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 05-01-2015, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    This is the best example I could find of something an American team should try:

Forsyth-Barr_1-990x465.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    You know, with all the moving roof designs that we now have - I'm amazed that designers haven't designed a roof system that equalized the shadows a little better. Like a shade that is used to block sunlight, you could have a shade that moves up from the roof to make both the mound and plate covered in shade. I mean, that's the hardest time when there is a shadow over one but not the other. The shade would just equalize the shade when the time is needed.

The sun obviously is at different angles every day, so these sun blockers would either move around the stadium, or have several different units that would be used to dial in the shade.

Sun blocking is the design of Monte Burns.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    This will be a killer concert venue too.

I wonder if we'll see any baseball applications with the roof over the stands cable supported from above. Somewhat Olympic Stadium like with the tower and the roof support cables.

Shadows would be hard for baseball. But if they were placed in the OF...
    This is what I want in Tampa. Something like this and where the seahwaks play or a complete take off roof like the Mariners have. The shadows can't be worse than miller or some of the newer stadiums with really big lights and high seats.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    This will be a killer concert venue too.

I wonder if we'll see any baseball applications with the roof over the stands cable supported from above. Somewhat Olympic Stadium like with the tower and the roof support cables.

Shadows would be hard for baseball. But if they were placed in the OF...

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    P.S. Similar but different video as posted before, when they run out of the tunnel at 1:09 you get the whole feel!

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Plus I bet more room to spread out in that 1980s sea of parking they have around the stadium compared to the cubs where its very tight. If you were comparing to the Bear though, I think this design is different, they aren't adding any boxes or anything Just taking out seats, Adding the roof (Which you are right looks spectacular), adding some better seating/lounges within the existing seats, and only redoing the lower level. Chicago was a brand new stadium within an existing shell of architecture from another stadium that really doesn't even affect the stadium that much other than size.

Either way Miami has better options all around!

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    This stadium will be spectacular with the support towers for the roof.

I did construction management and scheduling for Gillette when it was being built. If you recall, the stadium overlapped Foxboro a little. In the construction schedule, as with any construction schedule, there are milestones. So the managers will know where exactly they are with planned work and where they will finish. If there are delays, you can use the schedule to figure out what will recover the lost time so that the completion milestone is back on track. You use things like double shifts, additional crews, added days (saturday and sundays) to make up time.

Gillette had a 'point of no return' date once Foxboro was demolished. Prior to that time, the contingency plan was to use Foxboro for an additional season.

Work in Miami versus Chicago must be easier to plan. Why? Weather. Although there are challenges with high temps and concrete - but there are solutions like pouring at night. Freezing temps in Chicago aren't as easy to work through.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    They also are going in 2 stages this year will look like this:

c4ltEwe.jpg

The next will be:
    tcBFvqb.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by thewrong5 View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a contingency plan if they don't finish by the start of the season? Yes, I know it's happening in phases, but what if THIS phase isn't complete?
    No, but all they have to do really for the fans is finish the lower level and finish adding the seats. Things are humming these days anyway:

From oasisjae on Flickr:
    chRBNYg.jpg

Not much left

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    The rendering video makes it look real nice. Imo, the improvements will do little to boost attendance after 2016, Canes or Phins. Why? Not bc there will be anything wrong with the stadium; it's just that Miami will always be a beach town.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X