No announcement yet.

Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an expansion of the club level eating areas, mostly. The open part connects to the lower deck and it's basically just an big open dead area with some picnic tables. It's a whole lot of space, covered by some extremely huge ceiling fans to move the air around. They have it on both sideline sides, and there's something under construction on the right field end zone side. The bottom part of the new additions is a giant team store. It still feels like it's under construction in some places, and the new ticket windows under the ramps aren't as nice as the old ones. I went to the Sunday game (with the back to back home runs off Kevin Gregg in the 9th to win it) and I'll post the pictures later on
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Nice pictures, Chevy.

Saw that you sat in the Fish Tank. A great bargain, and every so often a homerun ball will come your way.

I wouldn't worry so much about not being able to see the right field scoreboard. Ever since they added the HD screens, the scoreboard down the third base line is pretty much the same as the one in right field, just a little bit smaller.

Comment

When I heard they renamed the stadium to LandShark Stadium I thought they did it to honor Jeff Loria.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Pictures from the game last night, which featured back to back home runs in the bottom of the 9th off Kevin Gregg to win it for the Fish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4062120...7621810352847/
          1997 2003

Comment

Like marlins said the expansion is just to expand the stadium out like 20 or 30 feet. It wasn't anything nice on the lower level and it had slits so it wasn't like it was an enclosed feeling, just a semi enclosed feeling. So I didn't take any pics from the inside sorry At this rate I go to a marlins game every 4 years so next time will be in the new park lol

I did notice the gaint 3 blade fans litterally named "Big Ass Fans" I hope the club level looked nicer, because the lower level just looked like a bigger concourse for games and more eating.

Pete, we got cheap tickets from a scalper, 15 each for fish tank and I am one of those rare people who likes to sit in the outfield. I guess it's in hopes to catch a homerun. Espically now with the HD board on the 3rd base side it was easier to enjoy the game compared to when I sit in the same spot for the rays games.
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

It was also interesting how much more stuff there was that said LandShark Stadium at this game, compared to one I went to earlier in the summer pretty soon after the name change. They painted up the entrance to the parking lot in bright yellow, added banners around the entrances, and put more signs inside the park. However, all employee uniforms still say Dolphin Stadium, and most signs in the concourses say Dolphin Stadium too. It's still a pretty half-assed renaming job. I wonder if someone else will pick up the naming rights for next year, or if it will go back to being the Dolph again
              1997 2003

Comment

I read somewhere here at the Baseball Fever that the Loanshark-- er, I mean Landshark Stadium name is temporary, and when the Marlins move to their new building the present facility will go back to the Dolphin Stadium name.
                X

Comment

You're right about the name change, but wrong on the timing. The LandShark Stadium name won't even last one year. The naming rights deal expires right before the Pro Bowl (which, along with the Super Bowl, will be at Dolphin Stadium this year). The Dolphins were recently sold to Stephen Ross (and a bunch of celebrities) by our old nemesis, public enemy number 1 for the Marlins organization, Wayne Huizenga, this year, and the new boss will probably look for a more permanent naming rights deal. The Dolphins were not thinking about the Marlins at all when they changed the name. It was intended for football season use only, and the deal just happened to be made during baseball season.
                  1997 2003

Comment

A few highlights from the game:

Here's the Teal Tower. Note the new game countdown sign in the left field corner. Former Marlins announcer Len Kasper, who now works with the Cubs, took the 189 sign down. You can see the new ribbon boards, both the 360' one and the LandShark Stadium one on the rim of the upper deck, in the middle of the Dolphins Ring of Honor

The concourses are now all under construction. They removed all the signs and windows from the concession stands, so now it's very hard to look at the menus when there's a line. My favorite concession stand is at the right

From the concourse extension area. You can see one of the Big Ass Fans on the left. Doctored so you can actually see it

The first base side from the parking lot

The third base end zone side. The whole exterior looked like this before the glass spaceships were added

From my seats in the right field corner. For some unknown reason, they don't sell the two corner sections, though they are some of the best seats in the house. The ones just to the left, on the straight side (the ones I actually paid for) are terrible. The upper deck is only open on Saturdays. It was really crowded in the shady sections on Sunday. These sections were where the party deck used to be, but they didn't put the deck up this season. The Budweiser ad below them blocks off the view from the bottom few rows

Behind the plate. The new ribbon boards allow the team to rotate though out of town scores. It's a lot easier to read than the Teal Tower scoreboard, which is hard to read in day games and has a lot of broken bulbs

Right field jumbotron. It gets washed out in the late afternoon sun, but it looks really nice at night. The career statistics of Dan Marino are listed prominently on the facing of the right field upper deck below the scoreboard, along with his two favorite receivers on either side. Not having been to a Dolphins game for a while, I wonder if they cover up the tops of the dugouts that say 1997 and 2003 world champs on them. I bet they do

The spiral ramps outside Gate H. Note the Dolphin Stadium sign

One of the few indications of the park's name, above the turnstiles at Gate H, which is behind the plate. There are others on the ribbon boards, and below the main video boards, and in the outfield corners, but everything else still says Dolphin Stadium

Overall, my impression of the game was that it's annoying to have a crowd at Dolphin Stadium. It's hard to move through the concourses, and there is very little legroom for a modern stadium. I am used to being able to sit wherever I want and put my feet up over the seat in front of me (I'm tall) but for this game, they had ushers enforcing where people could sit. From the seats down the straight side of the right field line, if anyone for about 4 sections to your left stands up, you can't see the infield, and you have to turn in your seat to see the game. The awfulness of the Dolphin Stadium baseball setup only shows up when there's a big crowd and you have to sit in your assigned seat. Also, only about half of the concession stands are opened on the lower deck for Marlins games, so when there's a crowd, the lines are long. From far away, the place looks well-kept, but there are plenty of broken seats and faded Dolphins logos and chipped paint and broken or mismatched replacement seats around the place. It's 20 years old, and all of the renovation money has gone into the exterior and the scoreboards, and not the seating bowl
                    Last edited by marlins739; 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM.
                    1997 2003

Comment

Great pics marlins, its cool to see what you took and what I took and feel like we may have gotten all the proper pics together lol!

Does anyone else feel like for a team with 2 world championships they don't have a big enough reminder of that? I mean there is a barely a 6 foot high by maybe 6 foot wide picture cramed in by the left field foul pole with 2 trophies and the years under them? I live in a town where we have 2 banners hanging for just winning the division and the AL Championship. I guess thats the respect you get in a football stadium huh?

I did like the large almost the entire length of left field picture on the wall that had a pic from 1993 one from 97 one from 03 and one of the new stadium that said 2012!
                      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Given the fact that it's not our own stadium, I feel like we have plenty of reminders of our two World Series championships. There's the sign in the left field corner in Gonzo's Gap, for one, which is a lot more obvious in person. Then, along the bottom of the left field wall, new for this year, is the 1993-1997-2003-2012 banner, with pictures of Charlie Hough throwing out the first pitch in team history, Craig Counsell scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 11th in game 7 in 1997, then Josh Beckett being carried off at Yankee Stadium in 2003, then a rendering of the new park for 2012 (showing teal seats, I might add). It's not a direct championship banner, but they get the point across. Then, along the tops of the dugouts, it says "1997 - World Champions - 2003". Finally, next to the American flag in the center field upper deck, there are two championship flags.

The only place where the Marlins don't have an adequate championship banner is at their spring training site in Jupiter. There's one outside the ticket window that says "Home of the 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins and the 2006 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals", and a giant mural on the side of the Marlins batting cage that you can see from the practice fields, but there's nothing inside the actual stadium. The Cardinals have a banner on their building in right field, but there isn't a corresponding Marlins banner on the left field building. It's right below the balcony in the building at Roger Dean

What do the Rays have at the Trop now, chevy? I haven't seen a picture of the banners they put up for last year, besides the one they have behind the plate.
                        1997 2003

Comment

^Rays have the two banners AL EASt, AL Champ, somewhere. Ican see them when yankees go to Tampa on TV. What a garbage stadum, and I swear that team cannot draw any fans. bring back Expos! Or just give another team to Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                            ^Rays have the two banners AL EASt, AL Champ, somewhere. Ican see them when yankees go to Tampa on TV. What a garbage stadum, and I swear that team cannot draw any fans. bring back Expos! Or just give another team to Montreal.
                            That sprawling screed might make sense...if the Rays were the former Expos...which they aren't. Instead, you just come off like a blabbering idiot. Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
                              Given the fact that it's not our own stadium, I feel like we have plenty of reminders of our two World Series championships. There's the sign in the left field corner in Gonzo's Gap, for one, which is a lot more obvious in person.
                              I like the championship sign where it is in Gonzo's Gap, just because it reminds me of where Gonzo's shot landed. It helps relive the thrill of that moment in a way.

Although in 2004 they moved the championship banner from Gonzo's Gap to a space in the right field fence, and they put a Burger King ad where the sign was in Gonzo's Gap. Thankfully, I think the next year they moved it back to its rightful place.

Comment

I never liked the sign they had in right field in 2004. It seemed blasphemous to replace the old 1997 banner with a Burger King sign, but someone in the organization wised up the next year, or else they wanted the ad revenue back from the wall sign

Here's a picture from before they built the glass spaceship along the sidelines

And another interesting one during what looks like replacing the grass in the offseason without the Teal Tower in

1997 2003

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X