Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    This one? It wasn't that bad. Concrete spalls. Especially 25 year old stuff.

stadium-problems.jpg

EDIT - I removed the other linked photos as they've been re-posted in later posts.
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Man I hope they address the structure itself, I saw pics of the owners or GM holding chunks of concrete from where the stadium was falling apart.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied

San Siro of South Beach?

(I know the stadium isn't in South Beach, but neither is the place where the Heat play...)

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by gmtobehere View Post
    I mean -- once detached, how did they remove them crime inside the stadium? Were they airlifted? It seems like slicing that section into pieces small enough to fit through the tunnel would have taken forever.
    Old post that wasn't responded to...

I wasn't there, but I would assume that the seats were all unbolted and broken down when removed from the old concrete risers. These could easily fit into dump trucks small enough to drive onto the field. The concrete risers were probably demolished right there on site with the rubble being loaded into tri-axle dump trucks (ones that drive on roads all the time) and disposed of off site at a concrete recycling place or just a dump.

Normally the broken up concrete is separated from any reinforcing steel that may have been inside it. This is typically done when the concrete is demolished and dropped to the ground below.

Remember too that these risers that the seats were attached to are no more than basic tables. There are supports with steps in them and the concrete tables are set on top.

Also the vehicle entrance to the field is pretty big. There's more than just football and sports at this place. All that staging, etc. needs to be driven onto the field easily. Thus, the service drive is quite adequate for construction equipment - like it's being used today.
    Originally posted by drdg View Post
    This looks comfortable as a fan to watch a game from. Hopefully this makes it way to a baseball stadium soon.

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    a new name for this stadium once again
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...116-story.html

and the end of the orange seats

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    [email protected]: Miguel Cabrera enjoys first multi-homer game
    7/1/03: Miguel Cabrera notches the first of many multi-home run games in his career in the Major Leagues

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Some pictures I found on Ebay of one of the 1991 pre-Marlins exhibition games between the Orioles and Yankees.
    Did anyone bother to save these images?

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    [email protected]: A.J. Burnett's warm-up pitch hits window
    9/7/01: A.J. Burnett's warm-up pitch hits the window of a truck passing behind home plate with Billy the Marlin on it

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    ...enthuastic response from South Floridians in the 1991 expansion derby is bittersweet. It shows what could have been for baseball down here but for the ridiculous string of dysfunctional ownership the Marlins franchise has had.
    both florida markets are marginal for the current mlb financial scheme, no matter what franchise owners do.

Leave a comment:

• gmtobehere
    replied
    I mean -- once detached, how did they remove them crime inside the stadium? Were they airlifted? It seems like slicing that section into pieces small enough to fit through the tunnel would have taken forever.

Leave a comment:

• Lumbergh
    replied
    very carefully.

they probably used a diamond blade on the concrete after removing the seats (typically just attached with screws and bolts).

cool pictures - Joe Robbie might not have changed much over the years - but the subtle differences are there - the ads, jumbo trons, no ribbon boards.

and people were excited to have MLB in south florida. things didn't go sour until after the first fire sale. despite winning the WS again a few years later many people would never forget that. why support a team like that?

Leave a comment:

• gmtobehere
    replied
    How did they get the original seats out of the stadium?

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    It looks like they ripped out the seats and were going to add the retractable ones after the baseball games. Either way great shots!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Great pictures. Were the removed left field stands originally retractable? Or was the baseball conversion a retrofit?
    Agreed, pretty cool pictures, Paul.

To answer Matt's question, the left field stands were originally not removable. Exhibition games from 1988-90 featured a left field distance of 272 feet (similar to the Alamodome setup) and a temporary screen wall. They added the retractable stands in 1991 when the expansion derby heated up. So far I've only been able to find black and white newspaper scans of the 1988 exhibition series. I wonder if any color pictures exist out there.

The enthuastic response from South Floridians in the 1991 expansion derby is bittersweet. It shows what could have been for baseball down here but for the ridiculous string of dysfunctional ownership the Marlins franchise has had.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Great pictures. Were the removed left field stands originally retractable? Or was the baseball conversion a retrofit?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X