No announcement yet.

Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dolph isn't much of a football stadium, no. Joe Robbie built it that way purposely, with a much wider field than he needed for football, to host a potential MLB team he thought would come in a few years (he was right). So the football seats are a long way away from the actual sidelines, while there's hardly any foul territory for baseball. It's not too bad, but there's a lot of dead space along the sidelines that other football stadiums don't have.

1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

2 WS titles and fans still won't come out. It's a shame.

Comment

For the first time in a couple years, the Marlins weren't dead last in attendance. The average was up by 2,000 this year with a crappy, and we were well ahead of the A's.
        1997 2003

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
          For the first time in a couple years, the Marlins weren't dead last in attendance. The average was up by 2,000 this year with a crappy, and we were well ahead of the A's.
          I'm not going lie and say that's great news by any stretch of the imagination, but considering most teams declined in attendance in part to the economy, it's not too bad. Hopefully its not just an anomoly but rather an indication that the fanbase is slowly warming up to the team again now that the franchise's situation in South Florida is no longer in jeopardy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jays753 View Post
            2 WS titles and fans still won't come out. It's a shame.
            By that logic, it's a shame that no one bought "Chinese Democracy" since "Appetite for Destruction" and the "Use Your Illusions" albums were real good.

The fact is, people can be loyal to their team without driving out to the stadium and spending a fortune to see them in person. Especially when the games are readily availble on the cable that they've already paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
              The Dolph isn't much of a football stadium, no. Joe Robbie built it that way purposely, with a much wider field than he needed for football, to host a potential MLB team he thought would come in a few years (he was right). So the football seats are a long way away from the actual sidelines, while there's hardly any foul territory for baseball. It's not too bad, but there's a lot of dead space along the sidelines that other football stadiums don't have.

Or - dare I mention it within these borders - soccer? :hyper:
              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Soccer was another consideration. The field is big enough for just about any sport, and plenty big enough for soccer with lots of room to spare. Here's Giants Stadium, which has hosted plenty of soccer with very little "foul territory" for football

Wikipedia says:

"The stadium was designed at Joe Robbie's request to have a wider than normal playing field in order to accommodate soccer and to serve as the home of a potential Major League Baseball franchise in South Florida. Because of this design decision, the first row of seats is 90 feet (27 m) from the sideline in a football configuration, considerably more distant than the first row of seats in most football stadiums (the closest seats at the new Soldier Field, for instance, are 55 feet (17 m) from the sideline at the 50–yard line). While the decision to employ a wider playing field resulted in a Major League Baseball (MLB) expansion franchise for Miami (see below), it resulted in a less intimate venue for football when compared to other contemporary football facilities."

The new Meadowlands stadium front row will be 46 feet from the sideline
                1997 2003

Comment

Cool picture of Joe Robbie Stadium under construction in 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                    Or - dare I mention it within these borders - soccer? :hyper:
                    It's a bit wide even for soccer.

Comment

For the moment, Land Shark Stadium is back to being Dolphin Stadium. This article says that the next name of this place might be for Sun Life Financial, so presumably Sun Life Stadium/Field/Park

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla

For those of you keeping track, that would be the seventh name for this place, not counting repeats, ninth if you do

- Dolphin Stadium
                      - Joe Robbie Stadium
                      - Pro Player Park
                      - Pro Player Stadium
                      - Dolphins Stadium
                      - Dolphin Stadium
                      - Land Shark Stadium
                      - Dolphin Stadium
                      - Sun Life Stadium (?)
                      1997 2003

Comment

Maybe instead of fancy neon channel lettering over the entrances of the ballpark they should just install a marquee and hand-install the stadium's name on that. "Tonight's ballpark name is: . . . "

This is insane.

Comment

The dolphins have unveiled plans to upgrade the Stadium in hopes of getting future Super Bowls and other events.

article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,1924520.story

link to more photos: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...2.photogallery

Comment

Video taken at Marlins - N.Y. Mets game, 9/26/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXjZfzj9Qe0
                            "Chef Bill"
                            Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Wow! I like those renderings.

The corner seats in the upper deck are never filled for football unless its a Superbowl, so why not scrap them?

The added shade will make the gameday so much more pleasurable in that place.
                              Last edited by RfkFedEx; 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Not bad, and it doesnt look like its going to be too difficult to do it. The basic structure of the stadium remains the same. The bowl is renovated a bit, and the roof gets built.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X