X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Do you know the attendence numbers? Looks like a great crowd that could be really loud!
    That particular game drew a paid crowd of 57,359. The night before, the place was sold out completely at 67,654. (I remember watching that game on TV, actually).

People bash JRS as a baseball stadium for obvious reasons, but I will say when the place was full (for the postseason and such), it was incredible.

I think I've said this earlier in this thread, but I'll say it again--I like the added foul line seating for the exhibition game better than the rather hodge-podge set-up they used for the Marlins. Looked more organic.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Would the lights at oakland for the stadium be the reason the scoeboards being off for every sport?

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Some pictures I found on Ebay of one of the 1991 pre-Marlins exhibition games between the Orioles and Yankees.
    I like that JRS was design with baseball in mind from the beginning
    with one scoreboard in the outfield in fair territory like jack murphy stadium

unlike mount davis where the scoreboards are in foul territory

heck the scoreboards aren't even center for football

Leave a comment:

• Lumbergh
    replied
    does anyone else remember when they had the terraced picnic/party area near the batter's eye in center field? later on they moved it to the 1st base corner.

Leave a comment:

• Lumbergh
    replied
    cool find. I remember those old score boards. I always found it odd how the one in the "outfield" was larger than the other side.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Do you know the attendence numbers? Looks like a great crowd that could be really loud!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied

Some pictures I found on Ebay of one of the 1991 pre-Marlins exhibition games between the Orioles and Yankees.

Leave a comment:

• colocolo
    replied
    And Joe Robbie Stadium, as bland and unsuitable for baseball as many people think, was the stage where all those memories took place. So while Marlins fans have turned the page towards a better tommorow, neither should they forget from where they came...
    I dont have a problem with the memories and my travels up there, Im a Canes Fan so Im stuck with the place....I will be treking up there in the Fall without a doubt...Now...it would be a second dream if the Hurricanes came back South...Impossible dream...but dreams are free and they exist for a reason....

Not a Dolphins fan, I came here from the Clearwater-St Pete Area a couple of years before the Marlins appeared in the horizon.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by colocolo View Post
    Thanks GOD, this nightmare ended for all of us in Miami, SW Areas and All...They can have all their football they want and soccer too..The Florida Marlins no longer, instead the Miami Marlins FINALLY have a home of their own...And its a PALACE !!!!!!!!!!!
    The new ballpark is a gem, no doubt, and unlike the former digs, it is first and foremost a baseball park.

But I'm not going to eschew the team's roots as the Florida Marlins. Turmultous as those first 19 seasons may have been, the Florida Marlins gave their fans two World Series championships, four no-hitters and countless other memories in Joe Robbie Stadium and beyond. (And I still maintain that the old Marlins uniforms and colors put the new ones to shame....). Cubs fans have been waiting over a century for a World Series ring. Marlins fans got to celebrate two within the span of a decade. The Mets and Padres have yet to have a pitcher throw a no-hitter in the decades of their existance. The Marlins have had four. (By the way and as an aside, did you know that all four Marlins no-hitters were against teams from the NL West? Weird, wacky stuff....)

And Joe Robbie Stadium, as bland and unsuitable for baseball as many people think, was the stage where all those memories took place. So while Marlins fans have turned the page towards a better tommorow, neither should they forget from where they came...

Leave a comment:

• colocolo
    replied
    Thanks GOD, this nightmare ended for all of us in Miami, SW Areas and All...They can have all their football they want and soccer too..The Florida Marlins no longer, instead the Miami Marlins FINALLY have a home of their own...And its a PALACE !!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    cool shot!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    At long last, I finally found a good, clear definition picture of Joe Robbie Stadium from the 1988 exhibition game between the Orioles and Dodgers, the first ever baseball game played in the park. From an article in the Miami News (now defunct) from 1988, follow the link:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...hibition&hl=en

A couple things of note:

Left field is 272 feet away.
    30 foot fence in left field.
    Dirt cut outs around the bases a la old Astroturf fields (despite there being natural grass).
    No dugouts or added baseline seating.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    That is a scary but true story. The stadium boom happened so fast and lasted for a somewhat long time and its hard to remember how bad baseball stadiums were for what I like to think of as 3rd incarnation of stadiums (wood, metal with poles, cookie cutters and finally no obstructed views).

So at this time 3 rivers, Riverfront, The vet, the astrodome, and the murph, where still alive with astrotuf? Different times. Some sad and some good.

Sorry it took Miami this long to get a baseball only stadium!
    Not to mention that at the time (1993), Oriole Park was still unique.....Jacobs Field and the Ballpark in Arlington didn't open until the following year. Yes in terms of grass playing surfaces, New Comiskey had opened two years earlier, but it was hardly considered groundbreaking like OPACY was.

Funny that an argument could have been made at the time that Joe Robbie Stadium had more in common with Oriole Park at Camden Yards than it did with the 1960s-1970s era cookie cutters.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    That is a scary but true story. The stadium boom happened so fast and lasted for a somewhat long time and its hard to remember how bad baseball stadiums were for what I like to think of as 3rd incarnation of stadiums (wood, metal with poles, cookie cutters and finally no obstructed views).

So at this time 3 rivers, Riverfront, The vet, the astrodome, and the murph, where still alive with astrotuf? Different times. Some sad and some good.

Sorry it took Miami this long to get a baseball only stadium!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    With the recent opening of Marlins Park as the Marlins' first true baseball stadium, it made me think back to when the Marlins first started play in 1993.

And honest to God, I swear I remember a newspaper quote of someone in the Marlins organization (not sure if it was Wayne Huzienga) who said it was his goal to turn Joe Robbie Stadium into "the National League's version of Camden Yards" (or something similar to that effect.

Thinking back now, it all sounds pretty preposterous.

However, at the time, was it as crazy as it sounds? Think about it. Joe Robbie Stadium was the first "new" stadium to open up in the National League since Olympic Stadium in 1977.

It (and Mile High Stadium) was the first stadium in the National League to open up with a grass surface since Jack Murphy Stadium and Jarry Park opened in 1969. It was the first NL stadium to feature asymetrical dimensions and varied fence heights since the LA Coliseum opened as the Dodgers' temporary venue in 1958.

Now, keep in mind Coors Field was already under construction at that time and when it opened in 1995, it immediately provided the National League with its first true retro-classic park in the style of Oriole Park. But for two years, Joe Robbie Stadium was the only stadium in the NL to feature a grass surface, asymetrical dimensions, varied fence heights while also featuring modern ameneties such as luxury boxes and club seating.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X