No announcement yet.

Sun Life Stadium / Land Shark S / Dolphin(s) S / Pro Player S / Joe Robbie S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No links, but I've read that Joe Robbie designed the place to have a large enough field surface for baseball and an easy convsersion if an expansion team were ever awarded to S. Florida.

However, I've also read that the renovations in 1992 went through the ceiling in cost over runs; which leads me to my question.

Does anyone know if the retractable, lower level seating behind the left field wall was installed in 1992, or was it in place when the stadium opened in 1987?

If they had to remove solid concrete in the lower level stands, I can understand the high cost. I don't understand why they would have made those stands permanant instead of installing the retractables from day one.

Comment

• I believe the retractable seating was new in 1992. I remember hearing about an exhibition game (maybe between the Yankees and Orioles?) in the late 80s that was played before they had retractable seats, and they put up a net in left field.

Maybe the extra cost of installing the retractable seats at the beginning was too high when they didn't know if the MLB team would come in 5 years, 20 years, or never
      1997 2003
      Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
        Does anyone know what they did for the LA Coliseum back in the 1990s when they took out the track and moved in the sidelines? Did they lower the field, rebuild the slope, or both? If you remember when they had the Coliseum exhibition game back in 2008, the left field line was even more ridiculously close than it had been in the 1950s-60s because they had narrowed the field.
        When they lowered the field in 1993, it was supposed to be the first phase of renovations that were called off after the Northridge Earthquake.

Comment

• Panorama from the Yankee exhibition showing the seats were in fact in place:

few more shots:

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post

Does anyone know if the retractable, lower level seating behind the left field wall was installed in 1992, or was it in place when the stadium opened in 1987?

If they had to remove solid concrete in the lower level stands, I can understand the high cost. I don't understand why they would have made those stands permanant instead of installing the retractables from day one.
            The retractable seating was actually installed in 1991, just prior to the Yankees-Orioles exhibition series and while South Florida was in the midst of the expansion derby.

The original exhibition series in 1988 was between the Orioles and Dodgers, and featured a left field wall of only 272 feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
              The retractable seating was actually installed in 1991, just prior to the Yankees-Orioles exhibition series and while South Florida was in the midst of the expansion derby.

The original exhibition series in 1988 was between the Orioles and Dodgers, and featured a left field wall of only 272 feet.
              Heres a link to an article about that game:
              http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7037,2694746

Comment

• I like how lasorda said he didn't see a bad seat in the house and if you couldn't have a good time here something was wrong with you.
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Lasorda obviously didn't sit down the right field line. Now those are some bad seats. He also must have come for a night game in April. Having a good time is another story. That's easy.

Notice the lack of baseball lights in the end zone sections next to the scoreboard in the exhibition game photos. When were those added? The NFL is bringing in temporary lights for the Super Bowl to make the place look better on TV this year
                  1997 2003

Comment

• Sun Life Financial has just announced they'll be buying naming rights to the stadium and have signage installed prior to the Pro and Super Bowls.

At least this agreement will last 5 years so the stadium signs may actually be sun-faded before they're removed.

Comment

• That's a nice name. Better than Dolphin Stadium, and as companies go, it's a pretty good one for South Florida. In my opinion, it's the nicest name the place has had so far. Sun Life Stadium rolls off the tongue nicely. Any other opinions on the best name so far?
                      1997 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
                        That's a nice name. Better than Dolphin Stadium, and as companies go, it's a pretty good one for South Florida. In my opinion, it's the nicest name the place has had so far. Sun Life Stadium rolls off the tongue nicely. Any other opinions on the best name so far?
                        Joe Robbie Stadium was better.

(In 1988), he moved the team from the Orange Bowl to his privately-financed Joe Robbie Stadium, a $115 million structure.

When Mr. Robbie first announced plans to build the stadium in 1984, he was greeted with skepticism. But he put up all his possessions - including the Dolphins' franchise - as collateral to assure completion of construction.

''This is just my perverse nature,'' he said. ''I'll have everything paid for by 2016.''
                        Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

That's a nice name. Better than Dolphin Stadium, and as companies go, it's a pretty good one for South Florida. In my opinion, it's the nicest name the place has had so far. Sun Life Stadium rolls off the tongue nicely. Any other opinions on the best name so far?
                          I liked Joe Robbie Stadium. The guy paid to build the place, so why shouldn't his name be on it as a tribute? Of course, I'm a stickler for tradition when it comes to stadium names....never liked corporate names on stadiums, not even ones that sounded natural. Unless the company is willing to pay the media or private citizens as advertisers, why should we give them free advertising?

Comment

Sun Life Stadium rolls off the tongue nicely. Any other opinions on the best name so far?
                            Yes I like it because it sounds "Florida-ish" like when they renamed the Forum in SoCal The Great Western Forum after the savings bank of that name. It sounded like it belonged. Some corporate names are OK because they're almost like names themselves - the Philips Arena (Atlanta), Wrigley Field etc. Even PNC Park has a nice ring to it. One of my faves is the HP Pavilion in San Jose. They ought to have a laptop as the center ice logo.

Then . . . there's the Quicken Loans Arena . . .
                            Aviator_Frank
                            Engineer / Private Pilot
                            Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                              Yes I like it because it sounds "Florida-ish" like when they renamed the Forum in SoCal The Great Western Forum after the savings bank of that name. It sounded like it belonged. Some corporate names are OK because they're almost like names themselves - the Philips Arena (Atlanta), Wrigley Field etc. Even PNC Park has a nice ring to it. One of my faves is the HP Pavilion in San Jose. They ought to have a laptop as the center ice logo.

Then . . . there's the Quicken Loans Arena . . .
                              My fav corporate name is great american ballpark!
                              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                                My fav corporate name is great american ballpark!
                                Yes! I didn't even know it was a sponsorship when I first heard it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X