Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeteU
    replied
    Watching a replay of Game 7 of the 1997 World Series and I noticed a little bit of trivia about Joe Robbie.

In the visitor's dugout on the third base side, the back wall at that time normally read "National League". However, I noticed that for the 1997 Series, they repainted it as "American League". Kinda cool.

Don't know if they did that in 2003, as I forgot whether or not they still had the "National League" background in the dugout or not.

By the way, Game 7 of the 1997 Series was insane. Certainly underrated in terms of great World Series games in baseball history.
    Last edited by PeteU; 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NickEsasky
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I feel like unless your stadium is 80 years old or so no one thinks you can have history, shame too because this place has some good moments!
    Here Here! Not only did they host those events, but some great moments in those events history. The 49ers game winning drive to beat the Bengals with seconds left on the clock is one of the great drives in Super Bowl History, and the Marlins win in Game 7 against the Indians one of the memorable endings to a WS. I agree guys. There is something to be said for honoring newer stadiums. New stadiums get a lot of flack on this forum but if we held onto all of our old buildings attendance may suffer in the end. Look at Serie A attendance in Italian Football. One of the great leagues in the world. Tons of interest, but turn on Fox Soccer for a Serie A game and you'd think nobody cares. It's the stadiums. Aside from a couple exceptions most of the grounds are not suitable to host the events.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    Stylewise, I'll certainly agree.

But history-wise? Five Super Bowls, Three BCS Championships and Two World Series. Not to mention some exciting moments at individual Dolphins and Marlins games. Joe Robbie is rather underrated when it comes to Sports History.
    I feel like unless your stadium is 80 years old or so no one thinks you can have history, shame too because this place has some good moments!

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The LA Coliseum is a historic building with a kind of style. Sun Life Stadium is not.
    Stylewise, I'll certainly agree.

But history-wise? Five Super Bowls, Three BCS Championships and Two World Series. Not to mention some exciting moments at individual Dolphins and Marlins games. Joe Robbie is rather underrated when it comes to Sports History.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    it's not as though the LA Coliseum was an important/classic baseball ballpark, but it still didn't make the 2008 exhibition game any less cool.
    The LA Coliseum is a historic building with a kind of style. Sun Life Stadium is not.

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    Matt, here in Washington we still enjoy the license to sit where we please for $10. Buy the ticket between 4:00-6:00, they're only $5.

The only difference from Philly is that once the Nats get good, we'll still be able to do as we please bc Nats Park will rarely fill up, even if we start winning every year.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    The fact that people wouldn't go to the Vet because "it smelled" or whatever... made it all the better for me and my friends.

It's 6:30 and we're looking to do something - let's go to the Phillies game. And we could for less than $10 each.

I love the Phils. But a growing part of me longs for the days where I could just go to the game on whim. I'm thinking a few seasons of post season free baseball would do this. Like how it is in Cleveland now. I liked the days where us baseball geeks followed baseball. Now, around here, every yahoo is an expert and wants to tell you how it is.

I just tell poeple now that I'm a Pirates fan. Usually saves me from the ear load of Phillies talk I would normally get.

Leave a comment:

• sheagoodbye1010
    replied
    The Vet-JRS

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    I miss the Vet....

Hell yeah I'd prefer some elbow room. Not to mention nothing beats sitting behind the dugout with a $5 uppder deck ticket.

If you want to go to the carnival, go to the carnival.
    I miss The Vet too. The Vet for baseball got its bad rep because of that awful, dirty, dark, dingy, cat waste smelling subterranean 200 level concourse.
    Meanwhile, the 500/600 level and 700 level had excellent access and egress, wide concourses, was clean and had nice open views of the skyline, bridges and surrounding area.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
    Part of the deal requires the Marlins to stay in Miami for 35 years, which will take them through 2047. Who else is going to build them a ballpark? They got what they wanted, they're not going anywhere.
    People can buy out those clauses if they really want. Its an ongoing issue in Tampa our mayor ready to pay anything to get the rays over here.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Legs on the front seats, arms out wide, nice breeze blowing through. MLB baseball on the field. I miss it.

Now? Stuffed in like sardines. Hot as heck. Constantly getting up for the next guy wanting to go get more food. The eating noises alone can make you crazy.

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    Closing the upper deck at the Dolph didn't really decrease elbow room for the rest of the seats, except on a few Super Saturdays. How many seats can one person take up? I used to use one for my butt, one for my legs, and one for each arm

Leave a comment:

• sheagoodbye1010
    replied
    I miss JRS already

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
    I go there to watch the game, not the crowd. I also like a well manicured baseball field. (before the Dolphins chop it up) I can stare at a baseball field for hours on end, even if nobody else is in the park. And the best part about JRS is that you can sit where ever you want. Sure beats sitting next to some loud drunken slob in a packed stadium who is screaming in your ear all game.

I agree 100 percent with the above statement and logic. It is the reason I loved the Vet and JRS (before they closed the upper deck)

The game is THE reason I go and I love the game. To be able to spread out and be comfortable in the upper deck (many times even behind the plate) and enjoy the game with a completely unobstructed view without having people and vendors interfering is baseball heaven.

It was great to buy the cheapest seat and have the total freedom to sit wherever you want and with whomever you want, even if you walked up at the last minute. At JRS you always had that option, even when they had big crowds.

So long JRS, you will be an eternal memory and will be deeply missed by the real baseball fans.

Leave a comment:

• majorleads
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    I miss the Vet....

Hell yeah I'd prefer some elbow room. Not to mention nothing beats sitting behind the dugout with a $5 uppder deck ticket.

If you want to go to the carnival, go to the carnival.

Oh yeah one of the best parts about going to Shea back in the day was hopping the railing from the Loge to Field Level and then casually working your way towards the dugout. Ahhhh those were the days...

But its funny that you mention a carnival because the few times I went to the Vet it did feel like a carnival. No offense because I actually liked travelling to and seeing games at the Vet with my dad when I was a kid but I always remember him saying the fans there were really nasty. I always thought it was funny especially when they would get on Schmidt.

Leave a comment:

• marlins739
    replied
    Part of the deal requires the Marlins to stay in Miami for 35 years, which will take them through 2047. Who else is going to build them a ballpark? They got what they wanted, they're not going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by DJ Starion View Post
    Because the Marlins are going to move with a brand new ballpark built?
    Look at the senators. No team has to stay if they find enough reason they can leave and doesn't have been at first they can leave 10 years in and not feel bad.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X