Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball Trip to N.Y.C. and Boston

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baseball Trip to N.Y.C. and Boston

    In the summer I am making my first trip to N.Y. and Boston. I could use some info on making the trip better. I am also taking my 11 year old son with me.
    So, to those who know.

    What's the best way to get to the subway system from LaGuardia?
    I see Kennedy has a stop, but I don't see one for the old airport.

    Is it better to take the train (Amtrak) than to rent a car and drive to Boston?

    In N.Y. we want to visit where Ebbets and the Polo Ground used to stand. Any advise on this?

    There is a cementary in Brooklyn where a lot of early baseball founders are buried. It would be great baseball history lesson for my son. Is this an advisable thing to do?

    While in N.Y. we will see a Mets and Yankee game while trying to see the regular tourist sites. In Boston we will have time only for the BoSox game.
    So are there any great things to see around Fenway before and after the game?
    Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.

    Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.

    Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.

    Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

  • #2
    good for you..that should be alot of fun

    i live on long island so i usually drive to the stadiums, but i know that their is a subway stop at shea stadium, which is right near laguardia. you could take a taxi from the airport. the subway i believe take you into grand central and times square.

    yes kennedy does have the air train which takes you to jamaica station, then you can jump on the lirr to penn station. i mean i don't exactly know where you are staying.

    personally i have driven to boston both times i have been there and really did not hit much traffic.

    i know up in westchester county is the cemeteries that have babe ruth & lou gehrig, just do a search for that in google or something for more info. you can hit those on your way to boston. not to far north of NYC

    for more info on trains & subways go to www.lirr.org
    Last edited by bigworm_122; 01-31-2006, 09:30 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I could use some info for this topic too. I'll be going to a Yankees game in the summer. I'll be staying in Manhattan. What subway can I take to that game?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188
        I could use some info for this topic too. I'll be going to a Yankees game in the summer. I'll be staying in Manhattan. What subway can I take to that game?
        The Yankee Stadium Subway stop is located right outside the Stadium at the corner of 161st St. and River Ave. The Stadium is conveniently reached by several subway lines and a trip from midtown Manhattan takes less than 25 minutes. The #4 train, as well as the B (weekdays only) and D trains make stops at 161st St./Yankee Stadium. Metro North train service to Connecticut and Westchester County is available at the 125th St. subway stop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Baseball Trip to N.Y.C. and Boston

          Originally posted by CAV
          In the summer I am making my first trip to N.Y. and Boston. I could use some info on making the trip better. I am also taking my 11 year old son with me.
          So, to those who know.

          What's the best way to get to the subway system from LaGuardia?
          I see Kennedy has a stop, but I don't see one for the old airport.

          Is it better to take the train (Amtrak) than to rent a car and drive to Boston?

          In N.Y. we want to visit where Ebbets and the Polo Ground used to stand. Any advise on this?

          There is a cementary in Brooklyn where a lot of early baseball founders are buried. It would be great baseball history lesson for my son. Is this an advisable thing to do?

          While in N.Y. we will see a Mets and Yankee game while trying to see the regular tourist sites. In Boston we will have time only for the BoSox game.
          So are there any great things to see around Fenway before and after the game?
          I think the cemetery you are talking about is Greenwood cemetery, there are alot of famous people buried there Charles Ebbets the Dodgers owner, Henry Chadwick "the father of baseball", Horace Greeley " go west young man", Boss Tweed, Crazy Joe Gallo, William Hart cowboy actor and many more. It is located on 5th ave and 25th st, you take the "R" train to 25th st and walk a block. They are very nice in the office at Greenwood, they helped me alot when I was doing my family tree. This is the address of the Greenwood Cemetery site.

          http://www.green-wood.com/
          Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CAV
            Is it better to take the train (Amtrak) than to rent a car and drive to Boston?
            It may be cheaper to rent a car but it will save you alot of agrevation due to driving through downtown Boston to take the train.

            If you decide to take the train take it all the way into South Station and walk right out of the concourse and down the stairs to the Red Line station. Take the Alewife-bound train two stops to Park Street and walk upstairs to the Green Line station then take any B, C, or D train to Kenmore. Or just follow the crowd.

            In Boston we will have time only for the BoSox game.
            So are there any great things to see around Fenway before and after the game?
            If you take the train, I'd visit the Downtown Crossing shopping area(history, shopping, food). Other than that, there isn't much besides the stadium itself.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

            Comment


            • #7
              When I went to Boston from New York i took the bus.. The times worked out great and didnt have to worry about anything and they were flexible with the times....
              Check out this link for more info: http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/
              "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
              ~~Al Gallagher


              God Bless America!

              Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

              Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                "A lot" as opposed to "alot" of useful information is given here. Thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Baseball Guru
                  When I went to Boston from New York i took the bus.. The times worked out great and didnt have to worry about anything and they were flexible with the times....
                  Check out this link for more info: http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/
                  I stumbled upon the Chinatown bus by doing a web search for a cheap way to get to NYC to Boston. Is this bus safe? It's only $15.00 a ticket and it is about as fast as the Acella Amtrak Train! I have read where you might sit next to a cage full of chickens being transported from one Chinatown to the next!
                  Last edited by CAV; 02-22-2006, 01:10 PM.
                  Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.

                  Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.

                  Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.

                  Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SABR Steve
                    "A lot" as opposed to "alot" of useful information is given here. Thanks
                    Yes, a "lot" as in a plot at the cemetery!
                    Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.

                    Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.

                    Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.

                    Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you ever want a delux package of several different games and stadium with everything taken care of for you try this site:

                      http://www.jaybuckley.com/

                      I've gone on 2 of their tours and they're great.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CAV
                        I stumbled upon the Chinatown bus by doing a web search for a cheap way to get to NYC to Boston. Is this bus safe? It's only $15.00 a ticket and it is about as fast as the Acella Amtrak Train! I have read where you might sit next to a cage full of chickens being transported from one Chinatown to the next!
                        For that price you would expect it to be like you said, but it's just like riding on any other bus. I took one of those buses down to New York yesterday and the only difference between the Chinatown bus companies and any other is the writing on the bus and the subtitles on the movies.
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There is tons to see in Boston.Predential Center, John Hancock Center, The Old state house(now a subway station), Boston Common, Fanuel Hall, The old north church, wats left of braves field, Paul revere's house, and alot more.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There is a reason the Dodgers and the Giants left New York. Both neighborhoods are toilet bowls. Both teams recognized this in the 50's and the City of New York didn't think either team would leave. While it would be nice to visit these locations, I don't recommend it because you will have your 11 year old son with you. No sense in putting yourself and your son in harm's way. At least at Yankee Stadium, which is also in a crap neighborhood, you'll have the crowd. There are generally no problems on game days. Stick to the pictures and books regarding the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TJH1923
                              There is a reason the Dodgers and the Giants left New York. Both neighborhoods are toilet bowls. Both teams recognized this in the 50's and the City of New York didn't think either team would leave. While it would be nice to visit these locations, I don't recommend it because you will have your 11 year old son with you. No sense in putting yourself and your son in harm's way. At least at Yankee Stadium, which is also in a crap neighborhood, you'll have the crowd. There are generally no problems on game days. Stick to the pictures and books regarding the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.
                              Thanks, this is the type of info I have been needing to know before we go! Does anyone else agree or disagree with this?

                              I have heard the the Polo Grounds Apartments were very rough, but I don't know a lot about the Brooklyn area where Ebbets Field used to be!

                              I guess the Flatbush area is the same as it was 50 years ago or is it worse?
                              Elwood: I'm gonna quit work first thing in the morning.

                              Jake: And how are you gonna get to work Mr Lead Foot, Mr Hot Rod, Mr Motor Head? Those cops took your license away. They got your name, your address.

                              Elwood: No they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. I put 1060 West Addison.

                              Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X