Public Address Announcers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Address Announcers

This may have been posted from time to time, but does anyone have a list of PA announcers in ballparks? Or have a favorite PA announcer? I know that the Cardinals' PA announcer is John Ulett, the Yankees' PA announcer is Bob Sheppard, and the Giants' PA announcer is something-Moon. I can't think of her name, but she was the first woman to announce for a World Series game.

Anyway, does anyone have a list of them? I know I saw one, but don't have a link to it. But anyway, my favorite PA announcer is Bob Sheppard.

I don't know if there's a list anywhere, but maybe we can start one here.

The classic PA announcer for the Orioles was Rex Barney who is no longer with us. Famous for his trademark "Thank yooooouuuuuu," he was a mainstay at both 33rd street and Camden Yards.

To be honest, I'm not even sure who's doing it now for the brids. I don't think anyone has caught on quite the way Rex did.

Comment

I liked our, the D-Backs, original announcer, Jeff Munn. Now, he's on the radio.

Comment

Classic PA announcers...Tex Rickard in Brooklyn (O'Malley didn't see fit to bring him with the team), Bob Shepard (spelling might be wrong) at Yankee Stadium (still going strong and has to be over 90 years old now). These guys no matter how much they were identified with their ball parks and their teams always announced the game the way it should be done, down the middle announcing the names of the players exactly the same way for both teams.

But it's a different era now....they announce players on the home team completely different than players on the visiting team..."leading off for yourrrrr (fill in the team) number whatever and then a long recital of the player's name like whatever.

It is much more asinine in both hockey and basketball. The classical NBA public address guy was the Knicks' Johnny Condon and he announced baskets and fouls the same exact way for both teams...now of course we have laser shows on the exploding scoreboards before the game that are supposed to get the fans all juiced up but to me these things demean the visiting team which, after all, provide half the entertainment.

The NHL is really bad...once upon a time a directive was sent out to PA announcers that goals and penalties were to be announced the same way for both teams....now you almost always get a completely different announcement for a home team goal....(scoring for yourrrrr (name the team) number (whatever) and then a long drawn out name of the player.

Oh for the days of the original 6 in the NHL when I can still hear the announcer at Maple Leaf Gardens in an even toned voice announcing "Toronto goal scored by number 14 Keon assists number 7 Horton and number 10 Armstrong, time 3:51 exactly the same way he would announce a New York goal (New York goal scored by number 9 Bathgate assists number 10 Ingarfield and number 17 Prentice time 4:13)...the tones and loudness of voice were exactly the same (and no laster shows and organ blasting away only when the home team scored)...those were the days sports were played and run by professionals not the garbage we have today.

Comment

At U.S. Cellular Field, former local radio personality and station program director Gene Honda is the P.A. Announcer. His voice is so popular that he's also done the P.A. announcing for the NCAA Men's Final Four basketball championships over the past few years. If you have any tape of the past 3 or 4 Final Fours, pay attention to the announcing...you might hear his voice.

Honda also does the P.A. announcing for the Chicago Blackhawks, too.
          Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

J. Fred Duckett was a long time P.A. announcer for the Astros in the Astrodome from 1969-1992 and he passed away in late June of this year. He created the "Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzz!!!" that became a staple in the Astrodome and even today as Cruz is on the coaching staff.

Derrick Grubbs took over for a little while and now he is with the Astros Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express, serving as their P.A. announcer.

Bob Ford, who is the voice behind almost all Fox Sports Net commercials, has been the P.A. announcer for the Astros since 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
              Classic PA announcers...Tex Rickard in Brooklyn (O'Malley didn't see fit to bring him with the team), Bob Shepard (spelling might be wrong) at Yankee Stadium (still going strong and has to be over 90 years old now). These guys no matter how much they were identified with their ball parks and their teams always announced the game the way it should be done, down the middle announcing the names of the players exactly the same way for both teams.

But it's a different era now....they announce players on the home team completely different than players on the visiting team..."leading off for yourrrrr (fill in the team) number whatever and then a long recital of the player's name like whatever.

It is much more asinine in both hockey and basketball. The classical NBA public address guy was the Knicks' Johnny Condon and he announced baskets and fouls the same exact way for both teams...now of course we have laser shows on the exploding scoreboards before the game that are supposed to get the fans all juiced up but to me these things demean the visiting team which, after all, provide half the entertainment.

The NHL is really bad...once upon a time a directive was sent out to PA announcers that goals and penalties were to be announced the same way for both teams....now you almost always get a completely different announcement for a home team goal....(scoring for yourrrrr (name the team) number (whatever) and then a long drawn out name of the player.

Oh for the days of the original 6 in the NHL when I can still hear the announcer at Maple Leaf Gardens in an even toned voice announcing "Toronto goal scored by number 14 Keon assists number 7 Horton and number 10 Armstrong, time 3:51 exactly the same way he would announce a New York goal (New York goal scored by number 9 Bathgate assists number 10 Ingarfield and number 17 Prentice time 4:13)...the tones and loudness of voice were exactly the same (and no laster shows and organ blasting away only when the home team scored)...those were the days sports were played and run by professionals not the garbage we have today.
              I agree. To go to yet another sport, Jim Finch was the PA announcer at Florida Field (aka "The Swamp") for over 40 years until passing away in 2002 (right after Spurrier left; it was a trying time...). Ecept for his glorious call of "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere come the Gators!" as the team took the field, he was as profesional and even-handed as I've ever heard.

"Pass from Wuerffel, complete to Green, tackled by Jones. First down Florida" or "Dunn on the carry, tackled by Bates and Brown. First down Florida State", his powerful baritone was always even and direct.

Once when I was a young-un, my family went to church in Gainesville the morning after a night game. I was zoning out as this little elderly man with white hair and a white goatee went up to do a reading. And then, like a bolt from above, Jim Finch's resounding voice poured out of that little guy and filled the church to bursting. When he was done, I wanted to cheer or do the Gator chomp or something. After the service, I went up and shook his hand. It was a memorable moment.

Comment

The Dodgers PA guy is Eric Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNlvOwtYYc Smith is also the PA for the Clippers.

The Angels is David Courtney, who is also the PA for the Kings, and the traffic reporter at KABC radio.

L.A.'s most well known PA guy was John Ramsey, the longtime PA voice of the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, Angels and USC.

Comment

The Mets announcer is Alex Anthony.

Comment

Former Twins PA announcer Bob Casey.

RIP

Comment

There will never be another like Bob Sheppard. I grew up with him. He was and still is special.
                      Last year he missed opening day for the first time in 56 years. He came back a few weeks later.
                      I have a special memory. A few years ago I was at Jack Murphy Stadium for the first and to my knowledge so far only regular season series between the Yanks and Pads in San Diego. When it came time for the PA to announce the starting lineups, a very familiar sounding voice out of the past was heard. What a thrill it was when I realized the Padres were having Sheppard announce the Yankee lineup.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                      Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

My favorite announcer is Bob Sheppard, but that's because I'm a Yankee fan and I really don't pay attention to other announcers really. Sheppard is so synonomous with Yankee Stadium, and the guys that announce on the days Sheppard isn't there, try to sound like him and it's annoying. Once he goes it's going to be wierd, but so is going to a new Yankee Stadium. I hope Sheppard lives for the new one, he really is old though. But the guy will never die, he will always live on in Yankee Stadium lore.
                        The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

The Marlins announcer is Dick Sanford, I think he's got a good voice. Is the Giants announcer still the only female MLB PA announcer? She was good too

Bob Sheppard will always be special. I think a lot of the whole mystique they always talk about at Yankee Stadium was from his voice coming over the loudspeakers. Reggie Jackson called it "the voice of God." He is the voice of Yankees history, but the guy is 96 years old, and there may be a point where he doesn't want to do it anymore. It would almost be fitting if he retired after the 2008 season, because it won't be the same at the new stadium
                          1997 2003
                          Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Originally posted by kelford View Post
                            I don't know if there's a list anywhere, but maybe we can start one here.

The classic PA announcer for the Orioles was Rex Barney who is no longer with us. Famous for his trademark "Thank yooooouuuuuu," he was a mainstay at both 33rd street and Camden Yards.

To be honest, I'm not even sure who's doing it now for the brids. I don't think anyone has caught on quite the way Rex did.
                            Rex Barney was a classic.

Who could forget "Give that fan a contract!" whenever a fan caught a foul ball in the stands?

His voice is very much missed.

Comment

Has to be Bob Sheppard "the voice of Yankee Stadium" ( and if there is a god that is what I think it sounds like ) When you are in the Stadium and you hear his voice echo it is really amazing! He has been doing yankee games since 1951 and before that he did the New York Football GIants PA and did so to very recently. I hope he is still around for the New stadium I can't think how you can replace him!
                              39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                              2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X