Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome



















    Notice the swastika in the middle.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Notice the swastika in the middle.
    Whoa... is that a well-known thing?

    Comment


    • #3
      very well known actually... theres another dome with the same thing somewhere i just cant remember. kinda sucks
      http://peterton.myminicity.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Well there are a lot of Germans in Minnesota.

        I kid...I kid

        Comment


        • #5
          IMO, the Metrodome isn't a good baseball stadium. It's a good football stadium though.
          http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q_Zerpnj63I/Sa...flbot-qUQb.jpg

          Comment


          • #6
            Well...no one could ever accuse the Metrodome of being boring, at least not in its own way.

            But it will be good to see the Twins get their own place in a few years.

            Comment


            • #7
              I remember when the Metrodome first went up back in 1982...it was all the rage because it seemed like the "trend" in stadia back then was getting a dome. Now, people are staying away from non-retractable roof domes like the plague.

              I'm glad Minneapolis is getting an open-air ballpark. The Metrodome is a good place for football, but terrible for baseball. I don't know what's going on in Minneapolis as far as getting a new stadium for the Vikings, but here's an idea...why now expand and renovate the Metrodome for the Vikes once the Twins move out?
              Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

              sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

              Comment


              • #8
                A Uniqeness To Remember Fondly.

                Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                Well...no one could ever accuse the Metrodome of being boring, at least not in its own way.
                Being no fan of roofs that are permanent and plastic grass, I am glad they are being replaced. In the case of the Metrodome however, I'm kind of sorry to see it leave the baseball scene.

                I became a fan & fell in love w/ the Twins the year they finally won it all. What a great team and a great story ! Then came '91 and the most exciting World Series in my lifetime. I actually thought last place could be a permanent reality and they might really get contracted or move. Then they go out and make a season long run at the title ! Every Met fan loves an underdog and this francise is the uber-underdog. They have carved out a legendary narative over the last 20 years.

                It all took place at the Metrodome. The TV images of the white hankees is indelable, but the most unique thing was the noise ! I don't know if you midwestern vikings are really the loudest fans in sports, but I do know post season games at the Metrodome were the loudest things I've ever seen on TV ! Don't know what it was like in person but you guys must have had headaches on the way home.

                You'll win in the new place. Thats definite. It just will be a little quieter. It'll be like every other team's post season. That alone will give me a soft spot always, and make me miss that place. Big black baggie and all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SBBL View Post
                  Being no fan of roofs that are permanent and plastic grass, I am glad they are being replaced. In the case of the Metrodome however, I'm kind of sorry to see it leave the baseball scene.

                  I became a fan & fell in love w/ the Twins the year they finally won it all. What a great team and a great story ! Then came '91 and the most exciting World Series in my lifetime. I actually thought last place could be a permanent reality and they might really get contracted or move. Then they go out and make a season long run at the title ! Every Met fan loves an underdog and this francise is the uber-underdog. They have carved out a legendary narative over the last 20 years.

                  It all took place at the Metrodome. The TV images of the white hankees is indelable, but the most unique thing was the noise ! I don't know if you midwestern vikings are really the loudest fans in sports, but I do know post season games at the Metrodome were the loudest things I've ever seen on TV ! Don't know what it was like in person but you guys must have had headaches on the way home.

                  You'll win in the new place. Thats definite. It just will be a little quieter. It'll be like every other team's post season. That alone will give me a soft spot always, and make me miss that place. Big black baggie and all.

                  Well said SBBL. I too will miss the homer hankies waving in the bright blue seats, the noise, and the electric atmosphere in the playoffs. Minnesotans can certainly be loud, but are also some of the most polite sports fans in the country. Most of us respect the game and the fans around us. Unless they're White Sox fans

                  So there are some great memories that will be missed at the Dome, but we're ready to start new memories at the new ballpark in 2010. There are generations of Minnesota baseball fans that have never watched an MLB game outside. A lot of Minnesotans also feel inferior because of the Dome. We've watched ballparks get built in almost every city and it's gotten to the point where we are jealous. I am personally embarassed that our team has had to play in that building for so long. It's amazing what a nice ballpark can do for the morale of a community.

                  One more thing that people might not know about the Dome. There is so much pressure inside from the AC and what not, that when you exit through the revolving doors the pressure literally pushes you outside. It's a weird force that was fun when I was a little kid, even though it was actually pretty dangerous.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
                    One more thing that people might not know about the Dome. There is so much pressure inside from the AC and what not, that when you exit through the revolving doors the pressure literally pushes you outside. It's a weird force that was fun when I was a little kid, even though it was actually pretty dangerous.
                    Every time I leave the Dome I make it a point to go out the regular doors (I think it's the regular ones that produce the wind effect instead of the revolving ones). I love getting literally blown out of the stadium -- that's a REALLY strong wind flowing through the doors due to the pressure difference effect. I almost wish they'd set up some sort of artificial wind exit at the new stadium. :-)

                    BTW, much to my surprise, I felt a similar-yet-reduced wind effect leaving Miller Park after a game this past month. Strange, since it's open-air (the roof doesn't provide a tight seal...and it was open that night, anyway).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't like domes or turf for either football or baseball.

                      :twocents:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
                        One more thing that people might not know about the Dome. There is so much pressure inside from the AC and what not, that when you exit through the revolving doors the pressure literally pushes you outside. It's a weird force that was fun when I was a little kid, even though it was actually pretty dangerous.
                        As you can imagine, the RCA Dome is the same way. Pretty fun to watch the youngsters.
                        www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The final season patch to be worn with the retro's.
                          Attached Files
                          Jerry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jl1718 View Post
                            The final season patch to be worn with the retro's.
                            Wow... I didn't even realize that it was going to be ready by 2010. I was just in Minneapolis photographing the other lesser known stadiums there this summer (the ballpark used for the North Central League and Siebert Field... will both be online by Christmas).

                            I saw them building a stadium near Siebert Field which was tremendous. What is that going to be? A new football stadium for the school?

                            Eric
                            www.digitalballparks.com
                            An online baseball stadium museum featuring over 10,000 ballpark photos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes, TCF Bank Stadium, opening Fall '09 for the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

                              By the way Eric, I love your site at digitalballparks.com.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X