Russwood Park - Memphis, TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russwood Park - Memphis, TN

Here is a photo I took some time ago. This is the site of where old Russwood Park, home of the Memphis Chicks of the old Southern Association used to play.
    Would anyone wish to share photos of the park for all to see?
    Attached Files

Here's some pics. Pretty unique place. It's too bad that fire claimed this one. I wonder what the hell the dimensions were? They look pretty crazy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pelt; 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Another one (Upper right-hand corner):
      Attached Files

Comment

Russwood Park

Pelt: Love those shot of Russwood, especially the last shot. Where can I get a copy or two of those? Keep them coming!

Comment

check this link out

This thread also covers Russwood and the Memphis Chicks and the horrible replacement stadium.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=86515

Comment

Dimensions of Russwood Park, Memphis, TN

Dimensions of Russwood Park, Memphis
            I had read books and articles about old Russwood Park in Memphis, which was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday 1960 after the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox played an exhibition game there.

Does anybody know what the dimensions were? If I recall correctly, I think the left field line was between 400-430 feet, Center field was 366 feet, Right Center field was 425 feet before a 1956 thunderstorm destroyed the fence and a chain link fence was put up in front of the damaged fence making it 400 feet in that area, and 301 feet down the Right Field line.

If anyone knows the correct dimensions or any history of the park, let me know.

However, according to J. J. Guinozzo, who is the official scorer for the Memphis Redbirds, he said it was 335 in left field, 380 to center, 425 to right center and 301 in right field.
            Last edited by DeltaBoy; 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM.
            MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaBoy View Post
              Dimensions of Russwood Park, Memphis
              I had read books and articles about old Russwood Park in Memphis, which was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday 1960 after the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox played an exhibition game there.

Does anybody know what the dimensions were? If I recall correctly, I think the left field line was between 400-430 feet, Center field was 366 feet, Right Center field was 425 feet before a 1956 thunderstorm destroyed the fence and a chain link fence was put up in front of the damaged fence making it 400 feet in that area, and 301 feet down the Right Field line.

If anyone knows the correct dimensions or any history of the park, let me know.

However, according to J. J. Guinozzo, who is the official scorer for the Memphis Redbirds, he said it was 335 in left field, 380 to center, 425 to right center and 301 in right field.
              Russwood Park Minor League History

Russwood Park History & Details

Dimensions (LF-CF-RF): 424-366-301
              Home Plate Orientation: N
              Built: 1896
              Demolished: 1960 (Fire)
              Capacity: 3000 (1896) 6500 (1915) 11500 (1921)
              Location: Jefferson and Madison Avenues, at Edgeway and Dunlap
              Notes: Now a medical center site

Comment

Some other pics of Russwood Park copied from that minor league thread -

First two 1957-8, second photo is of the fire

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

More...

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited by alpineinc; 09-22-2015, 10:00 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                  https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

The stadium site after the debris has been cleared and a parking lot put in it's place.
                    Untitled.jpg

Comment

Wonder who had more first base foul in play territory this or BC place?
                      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X