No announcement yet.

Braves Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These LIFE photos have some great shots of Braves Field.
    Attached Files

Comment

August 1925.

braves1.JPG
      Last edited by alpineinc; 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
      Now over 2000 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Some photos of Braves Field never posted here
        demolition of 3rd base stands

then

today

football

Comment

I'm assuming those are the first base stands that still exist right? Where would home plate have been in the football stadium?

Comment

Some photos of Braves Field I found on getty and corbis
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Milwaukee County Stadium; 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I believe home plate would have been located behind the soccer goal towards the bottom of the picture.
              Last edited by driver62; 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by driver62 View Post
                I believe home plate would have been located behind the soccer goal towards the bottom of the picture.
                More like 1/2 the way between the soccer goal and the farside of the field ... the first base line ran perpendicular from where the diagonal flattens out in the far wall of the existing stands

Comment

Approx location of field

I laid in the approx Braves Field locations

/attachment.php?attachmentid=72668&stc=1&d=12464865 60/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by teamrap; 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Is it just me or is it luck on the draw how fenway lasted and this one didnt?
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

What luck? ... The Braves coudn't draw because Eddie Matthews was a rookie, Hank Aaron was still a year away, the park's location sucked and so they left town ... the Red Sox had a bona fide superstar in Ted Williams (.406) and had been to the World Series once (1946) and lost on the last day of the season twice (1948 & 1949)

Comment

It was Yawkey putting the Red Sox on TV....

...even back in 1952, with only 25% of the population using television but growing exponential terms, which really put Perini and the 2 other steam shovels over the edge and off to Milw, WI. It just killed attendance for the Braves. Once I figure out how to add photo's I'll post the many "ballpark" pictures I took at my son's recent BU graduation (we were sitting in right center field where the Babe and Tommy Holmes held fort, btw). Stilling there for 4 hours on a cloudy, misty day (what's new, the weather hasn't changed in 40 days up here in New England) I did notice the steady prevailing wind off the Charles River, across the train tracks (they are still there) and into the field.
                        It would cool off or smoke out, back between 1915 and the advent of the diesel engine, all the attendees at the games there, Not a good thing, and nothing could be done about it.

Comment

Here's a quick fake I just made, showing how big the original outfield would have been:
                          The original had the outfield bleachers and fans standing in front of them; I'm not up to rotating the baselines back to the early configuration, though!
                          This is a cropped version of a photo in my collection, the original has more of the Allston cityscape behind it:

Comment

Here's another aerial photo from the 30s doctored to restore the original outfield (though again, with the altered baselines remaining):

I'm kind of in love with the original outfield size. The sheer space of it seems to have a grandeur that really suits the broad sweep of the stands, which look clumsy after the fences were moved in. There's also something clean and sharp looking about the field going straight to the outer wall, with no billboard inner walls tacked up as an after thought.

This park excited some very positive reviews in the press when it first opened (though maybe uncritical boosterism was just sop for that era), contrasting it's austere Grecian lines with the ornate pomp of the Polo Grounds frieze as excellent examples of different approaches. Some of it had to do with being the biggest park in the country at the time, and the vastness of that lawn must have been staggering, especially after the cramped quarters of South End Grounds. I know it got a lot of scorn and abuse in later years, but it's still one of my favourite old parks.

Comment

I can't say I've seen those first two pics, J.E.

Good stuff.

Comment

Thanks. The first was from the Boston Public Library sports archive that someone linked a while ago. Here's the whole picture of second one:

There is a signature on the back that was listed as being from someone affiliated with the Braves, but I don't recall who it was...it looks like "Robinson" but it's hard to decipher. I've included it below along with an aerial view from behind the grandstand:

Here are some more views of the plain exterior, some have probably been posted already on this forum:

Lastly, here's a picture of a nine foot long architectural model that Judge Gaffney showed the press before the work began (while joking about having a more low-key approach than Charlie Ebbets). Some statistics from the Herald article are that the field will be 17 feet below street level, the grandstand concourse will be only 16 feet above street level, but 33 feet above field level, the grandstand will have 37 rows, original seating capacity was to have been 45,000, with 15,600 in the Grandstand, 1,400 in the box seats, 12,500 in one pavilion, 12,000 in the other pavilion, and 3,500 in the bleacher, which was intended to have been rather larger than what was finally built. The box seats were to to be reached by a rather steep tunnel, which can be seen on the blueprint on page 1 of this thread. Interestingly, the picture shows both pavilions were to have been roofed by the original plans:
                                Last edited by J.E.Fullerton; 08-22-2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X