Busch Stadium [I] / Sportsman's Park [III]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busch Stadium [I] / Sportsman's Park [III]

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I came across a link to some amazing photos of Sportsman's Park in the early 60's. You don't really hear too much about this ballpark, certainly not as much as its contemporaries.

http://photosbybmw.com/Sport_Park_web_pages/index.html

It's always interesting to see the old, long gone classical parks in color.

Comment

Originally posted by tdinan View Post
      Not sure if this has already been posted, but I came across a link to some amazing photos of Sportsman's Park in the early 60's. You don't really hear too much about this ballpark, certainly not as much as its contemporaries.

http://photosbybmw.com/Sport_Park_web_pages/index.html
      That's a terrific series of pictures you discovered--thanks for posting them. Here's an aerial taken from the Goodyear "Blump".
      Last edited by Lpeters199; 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

It has a nice shape to it!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I've always felt some affinity for Sportsman's Park. Nothing flashy, no defining characteristic. Just a solid, midwest, utilitarian, no nonsense stadium. I think a farmboy would feel very comfortable here.

Comment

One of the coolest things I've ever seen in a ballpark is the way the upper deck grandstands end right at the foul poles. Very very cool look to it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cgcoyne2; 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM.
            Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
              One of the coolest things I've ever seen in a ballpark is the way the upper deck grandstands end right at the foul poles. Very very cool look to it.

I wonder why more parks never did that. It would seem like the perfect way to dispute any fair vs. foul disputed homerun arguments.

Comment

very cool pics

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                  I wonder why more parks never did that. It would seem like the perfect way to dispute any fair vs. foul disputed homerun arguments.
                  How? A fair ball can still land in or hit the upper deck.

Comment

What do you mean? Like if it were to curve around behind the foul pole? Not trying to be a wisea$$, just wondering...
                    "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
                    - Brian Clough
                    "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
                    I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"

- John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by DallasGoon View Post
                      What do you mean? Like if it were to curve around behind the foul pole? Not trying to be a wisea$$, just wondering...

Exactly. Pretty much every ball hit in the air down the line either hooks or slices. Maybe if there was a wall at the end of the grandstand a fair ball would never enter the grandstand. I believe Busch Stadium was open at the ends of the grandstand.
                      Last edited by Smirkman; 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Attached Files

Comment

I grew up going to Cardinal games at Sportsman's/Busch I. You can't see it in these photos (taken by my good high school buddy, Bernard Waxman) but there was a 2 to 3 foot wide screen attached to the foul pole in fair territory from the wall to the roof of the upper deck. So, any drive that flew within 3 feet of the pole that ricocheted back onto the field either hit the pole or the screen and was therefore a homer making it easier for the ump to call it fair or fowl.

Comment

Actually you can see this screen in the foreground in the third photo down, third from the left, taken from the upper deck right field corner, if you click on it and blow it up.

Comment

Here are a few images of my recreation of Sportsman's park using Sketchup. I'm mainly using photos as my guide in the recreation. My next goal once it is done is to do a modern retrofit of the park as if it had lasted up until now with improvements over the years, etc.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X