Cinergy Field / Riverfront Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinergy Field / Riverfront Stadium

Yes, I’m starting a picture thread for a couple of the much-maligned cookie cutters (other than Shea Stadium). I’m from NY and love Shea, etc. but we don’t need dozens of threads on NY and other NE stadiums while most of the other parks get ignored. Classic Crosley Field, for example, has only one thread about it with all of 44 responses. Then one hears complaints about NE & East Coast Bias, but then most of the talk on the stadium thread centers in that area. Go figure!

Either way, back on topic…The Cookie Cutters need some love!

First we have Riverfront Stadium.

First Photo is a 1968 shot of the stadium under construction. Notice all the pilings outside of the stadium which would make up the parking garage that surrounded the stadium.

Second photo is of home plate being taken out of Crosley Field. This is only part of Crosley Field that made it into Riverfront Stadium.

Third photo is of Opening Day against Atlanta on 6.30.70. Johnny Bench and Gary Nolan are taking in the opening festivities along with the crowd of 51,050. Notice that the centerfield scoreboard is not yet completed. Also not yet completed is the centerfield stadium club or suite type seating underneath the upper deck.

Fourth photo is from 2001 (from Ballparks.com) after the outfield seats were removed for the construction of the GABP. On a personal side note, this helped me answer a question that I had as a youth as to what would Shea Stadium hold if it was completely encircled like the other cookie cutters and visa versa. Riverfront – in its Shea empty outfield mode – held about 39,000 compared to Shea’s 56,000. That would mean that Shea would have held roughly 76,000 for baseball and 80,000 for football if it was completely enclosed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sflnyc; 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM.
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Riverfront looked much better when it was cut open during it's last year or two.

Grass didn't hurt, either.

Comment

Saved?

Busch and Riverfront both closed looking much better than they did coming in. Both had natural grass installed and the view beyond the fences beautified. Obviously, the Riverfront partial demolition was due to the new park being opened, but with a little Disney-like magic it probably could have been resurrected just like the Big A, Royals Stadium, and (to a degree) Dodger Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
        Obviously, the Riverfront partial demolition was due to the new park being opened, but with a little Disney-like magic it probably could have been resurrected just like the Big A, Royals Stadium, and (to a degree) Dodger Stadium.
        But those three were all built as baseball-only stadiums.

Comment

Tell me, is:

any worse than GABP? Was it worth several hundred million dollars of Cincinnati/Ohio investment?
          http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Originally posted by sflnyc View Post
            we don’t need dozens of threads on NY and other NE stadiums
            Yes we do. There's nowhere near enough.

Originally posted by sflnyc View Post
            while most of the other parks get ignored.
            Well that's not right either. We need more threads on all the ballparks.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Oh, yeah.

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
              But those three were all built as baseball-only stadiums.
              Good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                Tell me, is:

any worse than GABP? Was it worth several hundred million dollars of Cincinnati/Ohio investment?
                I'd still say GABP is still slightly better. The post-2000 Riverfront was basically Shea Stadium on the Ohio. It still has that unnecessarily rounded feel to it that screams multi-purpose cookie cutter, even after the Bengals left, grass was put in, and the chunk of seats was taken out of the outfield.

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan9 View Post
                  Riverfront looked much better when it was cut open during it's last year or two.

Grass didn't hurt, either.

We saw a game there when it was like that, the workers had a good view of the game.

Comment

I was going through my old desktop and came up with these pics I had store there....

Comment

Those "cookie cutter" stadiums would have had much more character if only they were open in the outfield.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

From Flickr user jdhunt

Comment

Best parking spot ever. Just watch those foul balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                            Tell me, is:

HOK drew up some serious renovation plans for Riverfront at one point, prodded by Marge Schott.

Mrs. Schott's reasoning seemed quaint in the boom-times context of 1997, but would likely be embraced today in a city now up in arms over the commitments made to Paul Brown Stadium.

''We'd be paying for it forever,'' Mrs. Schott said of the bill for two new stadiums, adding, ''I'm a taxpayer, too.''
                            http://www.enquirer.com/editions/199...c_stadium.html

Comment

I took a bunch of shots on film at the final game. I'll find them and scan them for everyone

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X