Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Rivers Stadium

The cookie cutters need some love!

First photo is from 5.29.70 which was the original opening date of the stadium against the Giants. Stadium was still under construction due to labor disputes and later opened on 7.16.70 against the Reds.

Second photo is the dismantling of a section of the outfield wall at Forbes Field. This section was taken to Three Rivers Stadium for decoration in the Allegheny Club.

Third photo is an undated photo from 1982 during batting practice before a game with the Cardinals. The Pirates have just completed their workout and the Cards are headed out. Not really clear on the scan (but clear on the original) is Redbird pitcher Joaquin Andujar (#47) walking on the Third Base cutout and Pirate Coach Joe Lonnett (#32) facing the batting practice pitcher screen with his back to home plate.

Fourth photo is a cut out from the April 16-22 edition of USA Today Baseball Weekly. I remember the days when that magazine was a great baseball magazine. Now its just another rag that covers more than one sport.
    Attached Files
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Does anybody out there have a photo of the Forbes Field outfield wall that was used as decoration in the Allegheny Club at Three Rivers Stadium?

Prior to Three Rivers coming down of course.
    Attached Files
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

I wish i had taken pictures of 3 rivers, i must had been there over 100 times, and never took any
      Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

Comment

I know i wasnt the only one with a tear in their eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=986BqPtUzjA
        Last edited by steveironcity; 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM.
        Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

Comment

Here is an aerial photo from around 1992.
          Attached Files
          Obladi, Oblada...

Comment

Does anyone have any pictures of outside Three Rivers while PNC and Heinz Field were being constructed? I'm curious as to how close the new football stadium actually is to where the old one used to stand (is the still-standing gate D in it's original spot or was it moved as to not be in the middle of the parking lot?).

Also, I was recently in Pittsburgh and was a little disappointed that, aside from gate D and a plaque, there wasn't more to commemorate the stadium where a lot of Pittsburgh's sport's history happened. Even if there were just markers where home plate was, where Roberto Clemente's 3000th hit landed, or where the Immaculate Reception happened, that would be a start.
            Last edited by BigOneBitey; 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOneBitey View Post
              Does anyone have any pictures of outside Three Rivers while PNC and Heinz Field were being constructed? I'm curious as to how close the new football stadium actually is to where the old one used to stand (is the still-standing gate D in it's original spot or was it moved as to not be in the middle of the parking lot?).
              Heinz was only 60 ft. away

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
              - Walt Whitman

Comment

I never got to a game there, but this is what's left of it in the area outside of Heinz Field:

StadiumPage.com
                Stadium Google Map

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately, when I was there the area around the old gate was fenced off and there were tents and port-a-potties all around (not sure why) so I couldn't get close enough to it to read the plaque that's on there.

Last edited by BigOneBitey; 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

So, is Gate D in its original location? Was it meant to left standing or did it just not fall during the implosion and they decided to leave it there?

Comment

Went to the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh and found some Three Rivers seats at the Sports Works building.

My kids loved them……

sigpic

Comment

This one stadium that I always hear people from pittsburugh say "It was a dump, but it was our dump." It had its history and glad people have fond memories!
                        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I thought my Cad drawing belonged in this thread.

Notice Three Rivers was actually oval shaped not a perfect circle.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigOneBitey View Post
                            So, is Gate D in its original location? Was it meant to left standing or did it just not fall during the implosion and they decided to leave it there?
                            It doesn't look like it was part of the actual structure....

Last edited by bandit12; 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Those were large pylon markers at the ends of the four bridge structures that went from the parking lots to the gates. You can see them at the end of the bridge on the left.

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X