Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgeboy
    replied
    The pennants in left (and on the building exterior) start with 1965 - AL Champs.

Leave a comment:

• Vikeologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Dodgeboy View Post
    Honestly, the Twins aren't claiming "their" Senators era pennants. Those pennants were won in DC, celebrated by fans in DC, and belong to DC in my mind. Minnesota doesn't claim them or any Senators history. They are celebrating their "50th Anniversary" this year.

If you've never had a franchise ripped away from you, you won't understand. The 1981 and 1991 Stanley Cup finalist banners belong in MN, NOT Dallas. Yoppi belongs to Montreal, not DC. etc, etc...

Part of the Twins new ballpark legislation actually required that if the team ever relocated in the future, the Twins history, pennants, etc would belong to the State of Minnesota.

Actually I believe the Twins do have the WS Pennants flying at Target Field. I think they are with the other Division/World Series Pennants flying in left field. I could be wrong, does anyone have a pic of this?

Leave a comment:

• Dodgeboy
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    Can the NY Mets claim the 5 WS and 14 Pennants that the NY Giants had while here in NYC????
    Giants? No. Now Dodgers...

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by Dodgeboy View Post
    Honestly, the Twins aren't claiming "their" Senators era pennants. Those pennants were won in DC, celebrated by fans in DC, and belong to DC in my mind. Minnesota doesn't claim them or any Senators history. They are celebrating their "50th Anniversary" this year.

If you've never had a franchise ripped away from you, you won't understand. The 1981 and 1991 Stanley Cup finalist banners belong in MN, NOT Dallas. Yoppi belongs to Montreal, not DC. etc, etc...

Part of the Twins new ballpark legislation actually required that if the team ever relocated in the future, the Twins history, pennants, etc would belong to the State of Minnesota.
    Can the NY Mets claim the 5 WS and 14 Pennants that the NY Giants had while here in NYC????

Leave a comment:

• Dodgeboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StadiumPage
    replied
    withdrawn....

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    The team nick names of 'Senators' and 'Nationals' were supposedly interchangeable from 1901 through the 50s. Writers, announcers, and fans could use either name to refer to Washington's AL franchise.

I don't believe the name Senators appeared on the uniforms until after WWII. I think I read somewhere that Griffith finally decided to incorporate the name Senators sometime in the 50s.

Of course there was very little team merchandise sold in those days aside from pennants and hats, thus there was never a great need to copyright a team name.

Considering how little baseball history we have to celebrate here in DC, I'm ok with flying the three pennants knowing that my grandfather was a fan who grew up a few street car stops from Griffith Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I stand corrected on the point of fact.

But that doesn't detract from my point that those pennants properly belong with the current incarnation of those Washington Senators, the Minnesota Twins.

Those 1924, 1925 and 1933 pennants should be flying proud and high over Target Field.
    To each his own, but if anyone does care about the old Washington Senators its probably the old timers in DC, not Minnesota. Just like Jackie Robinson is forever a New York baseball icon even though his team deserted the city.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    These sports franchises are just doing what the automakers have been doing for years with the JD Power rankings. Hell, every single car on the market leads its class in something: most headroom in its class, best 7-day initial quality in its class, fastest cigarette lighter warmup time of all under-25k cars in its class.

This is the world we live in. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• RfkFedEx
    replied
    Borrowing championship banners from the radio era of MLB in Washington isn't as bad as hanging an 'attendance champion' banner like the Washington Mytics (WNBA).

The Mystics draped a full size banner from the rafters of the Verizon Center after having led the league in attendance for one year..:dismay:

Thankfully Ted Leonsis the owner of the Capitals who just purchased the Wizards and the Verizon Ctr announced that the Mystics banner will be coming down effective immediately.

Leave a comment:

• threeyoda
    replied

But that doesn't detract from my point that those pennants properly belong with the current incarnation of those Washington Senators, the Minnesota Twins.

Those 1924, 1925 and 1933 pennants should be flying proud and high over Target Field.
    I agree, but when the franchise moved, they left the championships in DC. I don't think the Nationals should have taken them as their own, but they did, so what can you do? They were left for a future DC franchise when the Senators moved to Minneapolis.

Leave a comment:

• DarkAudit
    replied

This. New Nats have no claim to them.

Leave a comment:

• mets16
    replied
    They could have the "Best team in baseball" for 1994.

Leave a comment:

• Aviator_Frank
    replied
    I agree with Gary. If anything, the Nats should fly the championship banners of their true antecedents, the Expos. . . .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Aviator_Frank; 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
    I believe that when the Washington Senators II moved to Arlington, they didn't have any World Champions.

The Minnesota Twins, former Washington Senators I, have the World Championships, and when they moved to Minneapolis, they left them in Washington, where the new Washington Senators took them, and then left them in DC when they moved to Arlington. Now, the Washington Nationals took them when they moved to DC in 2005.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X