Nationals Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gemcaptom View Post
    No Not Sean O. he is perfect, LOL. If he has ideas thats great , nothing wrong with that. But when you go to every thread and rip all the parks apart especially when the fans of the teams are excited, it gets pretty old. We realize things could be done different, but not everyone thinks alike. He doesnt get that point. I personally like all the new stadiums for the most part, and i enjoy reading the history of the old ones as well...
    I appreciate that you are in love with me, I really really do, but when 90% of your posts are about me it gets a little transparent.

I mean everything I say, and I don't "try to raise the temperature" or whatever you're thinking placount. I think the Nationals park is the worst of the worst when it comes to HOK, offering absolutely nothing positive. I think Petco is a joke, especially with the bubble jutting into the field by the right field corner.

I don't see anything good about the Nationals Park from either a fan's or an architectural point of view, and nobody seems able to explain why it matters other than "it's new."

If you wanted a park that looks like the disaster of a convention center, fine, you can do that well. This, however, is a joke. Compare it to PNC, and it's night and day, even if you ignore the view. Hell, even compare it to CBP, a dramatically more pleasing park.

I'll make it easy for you: what's going on with the strangely shaped center field wall? Why on earth is that necessary or desirable?
    http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
      I don't see anything good about the Nationals Park from either a fan's or an architectural point of view, and nobody seems able to explain why it matters other than "it's new."
      I honestly can't believe that the Nats park is $611 million. No need to get into a corporate welfare debate to see that this stadium is turning out to be a huge rip off for the folks in D.C. I bet in about five years they will already start renovating this place to 'fix' their mistakes. Apparently the Nationals brass is already admitting that they would've changed some major elements if they could start over.

NYS at $1billion will also be a rip off. I'm not a huge fan of Citi Field, but compared to NYS it's a much better value at $600 million.

Comment

• After looking at the extraordinary Ballparks, Arenas and Stadiums site, I've revised my thoughts on what could have been done with RFK. While I still believe the mezzanine level could handle luxury boxes (since luxury suites don't exactly weight appreciably more), if this was unfeasible you could simply build additional suites in the lower deck:

The are behind the walkway could easily be converted to a large bank of luxury boxes with no strain being placed on the upper deck. I'm not entirely sure if the walkway is under the front row of the upper deck the entire way around, but either way, it could be easily built to remain flush that line around the corners.

RFK is just too nice of a park to just dump. I would hate if they just tore it down. Hell, it's made of solid concrete, I'd keep it up for when people want to tear down the new one in 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
          What are they doing with RFK after the new stadium opens?
          After DC United (the MLS team) either gets a new stadium or moves away, there are plans to redevelop the area. The site is significant in that it is at the intersection of East Capitol Street, which extends due east from the Capitol, and the Anacostia River. In Pierre L'Enfant's plan for the city, this area was originally designated the Port of Washington, but Washington never became an industrial city, so such development never came to pass. I think there are tentative plans for mixed-use development, but there is an outside chance that the District will try to lure the Redskins back into the city, with a new domed or retractable-roof stadium for the team on this site. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has long wanted to host the Superbowl here.

Comment

• Originally posted by machpost View Post
            After DC United (the MLS team) either gets a new stadium or moves away, there are plans to redevelop the area. The site is significant in that it is at the intersection of East Capitol Street, which extends due east from the Capitol, and the Anacostia River. In Pierre L'Enfant's plan for the city, this area was originally designated the Port of Washington, but Washington never became an industrial city, so such development never came to pass. I think there are tentative plans for mixed-use development, but there is an outside chance that the District will try to lure the Redskins back into the city, with a new domed or retractable-roof stadium for the team on this site. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has long wanted to host the Superbowl here.
            the Redskins dont play in DC anymore?

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
              the Redskins dont play in DC anymore?
              Not technically. They play in Landover, MD, just inside the beltway but across the DC border.

Apparently, hard core Redskins fans hate FedEx Field and pine for the old RFK days. No metro access, parking is supposedly a mess to get in and out of, the stadium is too large and corporate feeling. Not to mention the Redskins haven't done much anything of great note since moving into the place, whereas RFK saw several Super Bowl winners.
              Last edited by PeteU; 11-20-2007, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• From TV Fed Ex also looks to be pretty bland and boring. Its not like Heinz or the Lincoln with nice open ends and a unique feel to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Apparently, hard core Redskins fans hate FedEx Field and pine for the old RFK days. No metro access, parking is supposedly a mess to get in and out of, the stadium is too large and corporate feeling. Not to mention the Redskins haven't done much anything of great note since moving into the place, whereas RFK saw several Super Bowl winners.
                  When you factor in how easy it would be to toss a dome onto RFK, I say they just keep it. All the other issues are solvable, I can't imagine DC can handle building yet another stadium, and RFK is just too nice of a place to tear down.

Add seating in the old outfield (at least until the Nats move back) and dump a dome on it if need be. Just keep RFK alive.

Comment

When you factor in how easy it would be to toss a dome onto RFK, I say they just keep it. All the other issues are solvable, I can't imagine DC can handle building yet another stadium, and RFK is just too nice of a place to tear down.

Add seating in the old outfield (at least until the Nats move back) and dump a dome on it if need be. Just keep RFK alive.
                    They'd have to add a lot of seats on it. At 56,000, it was considered way too small to make it in today's NFL--and that was with added seats in both end zones that weren't there for baseball.

Although there's a strong affinity for RFK as a football stadium that really didn't exist much for RFK as a baseball stadium, mainly due to the extensive Redskin history that occurred there.
                    Last edited by PeteU; 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I have many fond memories of Nats' games at good ol' RFK over the past three years. From an architectural standpoint, RFK has its merits, and years from now, after it's long gone, I'm certain it will be missed, and labeled under-appreciated. It will have been the first, one of the last, and perhaps the finest, dual-purpose concrete bowl. But it really has outlived its purpose. Since the Redskins left after the '96 season, it's been seriously neglected. Peeling paint everywhere, dangerously small concourses during well-attended events, inadequate concessions facilities, located in a neighborhood that has vehemently opposed any sort of development, and renovation/expansion is financially unfeasible. Add to that the fact that the land upon which it is built and surrounding it is owned by the federal government, making any sort of commercial development in the surrounding area extremely complicated and therefore unlikely. While it's true that there are indeed a few private suites already, and some of the mezzanine boxes could probably be converted into suites, the dimensions and design of the rest of the facility make it almost impossible to bring it up to current-day standards.

Comment

• And RFK is not like a fabled place like Soldier Field where it merits a full renovation, there is just no need fo it. I understand peoples nostalgia and memories, but it really becomes unfeasable, unsafe, and expensive to upkeep.

Comment

• Originally posted by machpost View Post
                          I have many fond memories of Nats' games at good ol' RFK over the past three years. From an architectural standpoint, RFK has its merits, and years from now, after it's long gone, I'm certain it will be missed, and labeled under-appreciated. It will have been the first, one of the last, and perhaps the finest, dual-purpose concrete bowl. But it really has outlived its purpose. Since the Redskins left after the '96 season, it's been seriously neglected. Peeling paint everywhere, dangerously small concourses during well-attended events, inadequate concessions facilities, located in a neighborhood that has vehemently opposed any sort of development, and renovation/expansion is financially unfeasible. Add to that the fact that the land upon which it is built and surrounding it is owned by the federal government, making any sort of commercial development in the surrounding area extremely complicated and therefore unlikely. While it's true that there are indeed a few private suites already, and some of the mezzanine boxes could probably be converted into suites, the dimensions and design of the rest of the facility make it almost impossible to bring it up to current-day standards.
                          Excellent post. There are numerous reasons to abandon RFK and you bring to light some of the most critical items.

Comment

• I think somebody sneezed on the center field cam...

Comment

• The press box webcam is finally back.

Interestingly some of the stadium lights are on right now, I wonder why.

Comment

• It's snowing...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X